What's new

Review - LA Shaving Soap Bespoke #1

Performance of the soap this morning was stellar. The scent took on a different character when lathered. It's still very complex, but I get a much more woodsy scent, the kind of thing you'd expect sitting around the campfire....but with a twist. The frankincense really enhances the woodsiness, while at the same time taking a rustic edge off of it. I am not a scent person at all, so I'm doing my best here to capture what my nose picks up. Those of you who sat in church while the priest was swinging the censer about during holidays will be taken back to that, and the effect for me was giving the shave a bit of a ceremonial feel. It's a great scent, and something well worth a try.

The only issue for me was that some component of the scents really did not agree with my skin, so I'm afraid this may be one and done for me. Thanks again to Harry for being so generous with his Auction win and giving all of us a chance to try it, and even more important, arranging for proceeds from the sale of this soap to help us beat breast cancer.

Another great performance this morning. I picked up another note. A warm balsamic from the Myrrh. This is a great complex scent. I think Bob said it best. Complex but not a hodgepodge--it just works. Great job Harry and thanks for the opportunity.

Thanks again to Harry for being so generous with his Auction win and giving all of us a chance to try it, and even more important, arranging for proceeds from the sale of this soap to help us beat breast cancer.

Thanks Bob, but I can't take credit for that part. That was John's idea all along.

Performance of the soap this morning was stellar. The scent took on a different character when lathered. It's still very complex, but I get a much more woodsy scent, the kind of thing you'd expect sitting around the campfire....but with a twist. The frankincense really enhances the woodsiness, while at the same time taking a rustic edge off of it. I am not a scent person at all, so I'm doing my best here to capture what my nose picks up. Those of you who sat in church while the priest was swinging the censer about during holidays will be taken back to that, and the effect for me was giving the shave a bit of a ceremonial feel. It's a great scent, and something well worth a try.

The only issue for me was that some component of the scents really did not agree with my skin, so I'm afraid this may be one and done for me. Thanks again to Harry for being so generous with his Auction win and giving all of us a chance to try it, and even more important, arranging for proceeds from the sale of this soap to help us beat breast cancer.

I got a lot of woods and smoke this morning. I also picked up hints of amber and patchouli.

The performance of this soap is simply outstanding. This is easily a top five soap for me.

Allllriiiight.... Gave this soap a proper lathering today. I pressed both samples into a cup and loaded a TGN Finest. I worked it in my scuttle, slowly adding water. It started to get that hydrated sheen. Went to my face and built a fine, great smelling lather. Much greener today. I'm still waiting to see if the vanilla comes through at all. The lather was slick. No skipping at all. I had loaded enough soap and added enough water. It doesn't quite reach the density of the top soaps, but it certainly does the job. This soap rinses away easily yet leaves a moisturized post-shave feel. The two areas that really stand out for me are the scent and the feeling that this is a minimally processed soap free of unnecessary ingredients. Will enjoy this weekend's shaves!

Last edited:
Congrats on the win for a great cause and well done to John. Really interesting ingredient list. Other than the patchouli those are some of my favorite scents. I haven't tried L.A.S.S. yet but will have to put this on my list to get a sample of some day.

Gotta comment on the post shave feel again. I haven't used any post-shave product after these three shaves and my skin is still feeling soft and moisturized. Very nice soap!

That's what got me into trying the soap out as well. That thread had me more excited than I've been in a long time about trying new product. Really helped me learn the process of making it as well. Highly recommended if folks reading this haven't read it yet.
How do we find the thread?

Not to derail the review: I'd be interested in trying my hand at making my own soap. At least once, to say I tried it. It looks like we can't post in that thread any longer, so I wonder if those that were doing it are still using the 2nd recipe. I wonder how much EO those guys were using for a batch as well - as well as where they get it from.

Back on topic: I was able to land one of the Bespoke before they were sold out. My kids are going to give it to me for Christmas. :thumbup:

I ordered a tub of Woody Lavender for my vegan brother-in-law for xmas this year (in addition to a synthetic Frank Shaving brush). Included was a sample of the bespoke soap that I kept for myself (don't tell). Looking forward to trying it.

Ben

I've unlocked it! Used a Semogue 1460 today. Nice dense lather to go along with all of the other attributes of this soap. Yesterday's lather was equally impressive. Great stuff!

I just finished my first shave using the Bespoke #1 sample John so kindly included in my order. What can I say... This soap is great. It lathers easily and produces great lather very quickly. The scent is complex and very pleasant. When lathered I could detect the earthiness of vetiver that blended nicely with myrrh and frankincense. I paired it with Floid Vigoroso and tomorrow I'll try pairing it with Krampert's Frostbite - I think that would compliment the scent of the soap the best.

I just finished my first shave using the Bespoke #1 sample John so kindly included in my order. What can I say... This soap is great. It lathers easily and produces great lather very quickly. The scent is complex and very pleasant. When lathered I could detect the earthiness of vetiver that blended nicely with myrrh and frankincense. I paired it with Floid Vigoroso and tomorrow I'll try pairing it with Krampert's Frostbite - I think that would compliment the scent of the soap the best.

It was also complimented quite nicely by Myrsol Aqua Balsamica. I will have to try it with my Krampert's Frostbite(frankincense). Great idea. I have to wait until the 12 Days of Fatness is over.

Harry-In relating the scent, and the subsequent responses form the membership. would you say that Bespoke has an the incense thing going for it? I saw in your "Lonely Brushes" picture that you use iColoniali in the terra cotta bowl. For comparison's sake that soap has a church inspired incense aroma to me. Thank you for your donation to the Fundraiser.

I've used only the Bespoke soap since it arrived. The scent has really come out during the last two shaves. The cedar is the dominant note, patchouli, vetiver, and smoke are also prominent. I have been picking up amber here and there. I never did detected any clove, or any anise. That's not to say that they aren't in the soap, my nose just isn't sensitive enough to detect them or separate them from the other fragrances. Truthfully I'm glad that I couldn't smell the clove or anise, I'm not a big fan of either scent. I think that they probably round out the overall fragrance and if they were missing it would be noticeable.

I really can't say enough nice things about the quality of the lather, it's just stellar. Lots of cushion, glide, and slickness. It doesn't leave my face feeling tight, or irritated at all. This is one of those rare soaps that aftershave or balm isn't needed.

Sold out, crap! But what a great opportunity to help create a new scent for a well-respected soap maker. I will be keeping my eye out for this in 2014.

Thanks for the great story.

Now I feel even luckier.

:cursing::a30::taz:

Seriously though, it is probably a blessing in disguise. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment and there is new stuff coming in. I'm nowhere near where some here are, but I need to experience what I already have for a bit---assuming "what I already have" also includes what is on its way. Today I used Cella for the first time in a while and WOW what a shave. "Why don't I use it more often?" I wondered. Of course, the answer is because I have a bunch of other stuff I love, too.

Top Bottom