What's new

Review: Goodfellas’ Smile Tallow N°1 Italian croap

This is a croap, first one I've tried and it feels a lot closer to a soap than a cream (and that's how I'm using it) so I'm putting it here, as I feeel it fits, but it may be better in Creams, if so apologies.

First some pics, because I know you like your pics:

full

full

full

Kit: Omega boar, 1918 Old Type, extremely rare hand made porcelain bowl (this is a lie, it's a coffee cup stolen from my other half), quite hard water

full

I unashamedly bought this because of the Lovecraft design (huge Lovecraft fan here), I just couldn't resist it and I'm glad I didn't, it is wonderful. Really nice slick lather, lovely cushioning, my face feels beautiful after using it and the scent is just amazing. Flowery but not in a "girly" way, it really reminds me of Parma Violets:

full

I want to eat it, really nostalgic smell for me.

Loading the brush:

full

Lather:

full

full

full

After sitting on the brush for 15 minutes:

full

Verdict: It's really a very good soap/croap, great scent, decent value at 9euros from Amazon.fr, I'm going to have to try some more from Goodfella's Smile, highly recommended.

...and since it's an Italian croap, why not finish your shave off with a sneaky Campari and soda, cheers!

full

Last edited:
Awesome review, thanks.

I too am a lovecraft fan, and now I need to look into this. Ahh, the perils of B&B enabling. Lol.

Great review!! :a29:

You deserve the Campari and soda!

Thanks mate, I thought so, after all it is the weekend and taking all those photos was thirsty work.

Awesome review, thanks.

I too am a lovecraft fan, and now I need to look into this. Ahh, the perils of B&B enabling. Lol.

I really couldn't resist the design, I thought it was going to be quite a mediocre soap to be honest but it's become my absolute favourite at the moment.

Morning drinker? :)

Croaps are not the most economical, but sure lather well.

Only on days with a shave in it :D It's actually quite a hard croap, I was expecting it to be a lot softer, though it's much softer than a hard puck, I reckon it should last a good while, longer than the Campari anyway :D

Great to see another review for Goodfellas Smile. The artwork on all of their soaps/croaps tubs is brilliant. I've recently purchased and reviewed the Sea Citrus and Inferno soaps, which I'd recommend trying.
I'm liking the sound of the scent bringing back memories of Parma Violets. Might just have to try this one!

@dan86 I think it may have been your review of the citrus one that finally convinced me to buy it. Just came across it on Amazon, wasn't sure at first, I thought it was a great design (I'm a huge Lovecraft fan) but was sort of expecting the soap to be pretty mediocre, so I did a search on here and your positive review helped me pull the trigger, thanks, such a good purchase, really wish they did an AS or balm with this scent, I can't get enough of it (it's 1.16am here and now I'm thinking "should I go and have a shave?" haha).

@boo909 - That is definitely a sign of a good shaving product if it's tempting you to go and shave at 1:16am! I'm glad if my review helped you part with some money :thumbup1:
I've had a look on their website and it looks like they do an aftershave of Tallow No. 1 so hopefully that'll become available soon. It's not available on the website I bought my soaps from in the UK yet but I've noticed Tallow No. 1 soap is, so I might be investing in some of that shortly.

@dan86 i thought I'd seen the AS version somewhere but when I went back and looked I couldn't find it, nice one, thanks for that, I'll keep an eye out :)

I’m glad I stumbled across this! I was looking at the inferno today as I’m looking for a sandalwood scent for winter. It’s like my MO now or something. I want to try something different too, my go to for sandalwood is proraso red.

Does anyone here have the inferno scent if so what are your thoughts

I wonder if Goodfellas use the same makers as RazoRock soaps? Sometimes it can be the same producer but they stick a different label on depending on the seller.

These appear to be rebranded Razorock or TFS soaps based on ingredients, graffics, and lather shots. Not a bad thing as they have come up with some great scents (Tuscan Oud in particular) plus they offer several different formulas.

These appear to be rebranded Razorock or TFS soaps based on ingredients, graffics, and lather shots. Not a bad thing as they have come up with some great scents (Tuscan Oud in particular) plus they offer several different formulas.

That is what I was thinking. If they are, I would rather go with RazoRock as they are a couple of dollars cheaper.

If they are, I would rather go with RazoRock as they are a couple of dollars cheaper.
TFS makes soaps for many brands, including RazoRock, but to say one is a rebranded version of another brand is incorrect.

TFS makes soap “to order”, so the brand calls the shots (soap base, scent notes and scent strength). You can’t for example map No.1 to a RazoRock product and expect the same soap. TFS Tabacco Verde and RR Zi’Peppino are both tobacco flower scents - similar like cousins maybe, but not the same.

TFS makes soaps for many brands, including RazoRock, but to say one is a rebranded version of another brand is incorrect.

TFS makes soap “to order”, so the brand calls the shots (soap base, scent notes and scent strength). You can’t for example map No.1 to a RazoRock product and expect the same soap. TFS Tabacco Verde and RR Zi’Peppino are both tobacco flower scents - similar like cousins maybe, but not the same.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes perfect sense.

Top Bottom