What's new

*REVIEW* Gillette Fusion Power (No Joke)

full

The Mach III power advertisements didn't impress me much... the whole concept seemed stupid, and I wasn't falling for it. The shick quattro? Oh PUH-LEAZE.... 5 blades, a huge strip to raise the hair on ones face, a single blade on the back for under the lip and sideburns and a gooey conditioning strip to boot? Talk about over-engineering.... but wait, how about a super dooper "Fusion sonic" engine to power the S.O.B. and then polish it off with a battery status indicator - just to beat a dead horse? What a joke.... but no - really it exists and I have the pictures to prove it... this sucker was just too stupid NOT to try.

full

Ok.... so you open this "kit" (and it is a kit) and this is what you get...

full

So how do you work this them thar thang?

full

full

full

full

Ok - so push the button and shave away - big deal. Uhhh.... yeah.... 5 big deals.

full

(Notice the blade in the BACK)
full

This razor shaves like nothing else I have ever experienced... feels incredibly weird. As you drag it across your face it seems to draw VERY slow and requires a fair amount of effort... unlike anything I had ever used before. Not that it hurt at all, or even seemed like it was skipping... it just seemed like you were pulling an oar in a vat of hard butter... strange I though - seems like they use cheap *** blades... but then I felt my face - and to my surprise - it had taken a tremendous amount of hair off of my face with ZERO irritation. Well to cut the huffery out and get to the point - 4 passes later, and I feel this razor is outstanding. No elaborate explination necessary - 4 passes with this fusion provided me with a smoother, more comfortable shave than 4 passes with my Merkur Vision loaded with a Feather PT.... yeah, I am impressed too.

Special notes - this razor sucks when the little whiz bang motor is OFF. Surprisingly the motor makes a WORLD of a difference - enough so that I would NOT use this razor in the unmotorized form. Also - this is the FIRST gillette cartridge razor that did NOT tear my face off, or punish me with ingrown hairs - but with ALL of this said... I have only used this razor ONCE - and I shaved with it this evening (I didn't shave this AM) - so I will update this post - and possibly my results over the next few days.

Bottom line - My initial impression is that this sucker could VERY WELL knock my vision off the top of the moutain and become my daily shaver.... seriously - I am stunned too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the very detailed review Joel *cough*blasphemer*cough*. :wink:

What's the price for the razor, and the replacement cartridges?

-Nick

I can't see myself shaving with that. The colors, packaging, vibrating turns me off. Not to mention when the Mach3 came out everyone would joke that next they'd make a Mach4 or Mach5 and it actually happened.

I also think the DE razors are much classier and the 'old-school tradition' is very nice.

I'm interested to see how many shaves you get out of the single blade and how much they cost as well.

obsessis said:
I can't see myself shaving with that. The colors, packaging, vibrating turns me off. Not to mention when the Mach3 came out everyone would joke that next they'd make a Mach4 or Mach5 and it actually happened.

I also think the DE razors are much classier and the 'old-school tradition' is very nice.

I'm interested to see how many shaves you get out of the single blade and how much they cost as well.

Dunno what the blades cost.... truth be told - I purchased it just for kicks, thought i'd use it once, then pitch it. I'll keep you posted on how long the blades last - but don't knock it till you try it :wink: If this razor keeps delivering the stellar results it has today (again - only used it once) I may be setting aside my DE's and straight razors for weekend "luxury" shaves. Almost disheartening.... as is the Will G soap is making me seriously contemplate selling a bunch of my shaving creams/soaps.

Joel- you are SO extreme!!!!:tongue:

I'm sure people were curious though and it's cool that you tried this.

I tried the Mach 3 power long ago, and the vibrating did improve the shave. It was the last stop I took before moving to DEs. They just seem to do a better job to manage my tough beard that grows in many directions and sensitive skin.

As for your shave, I'm not surprised. Those things always give a pretty decent first shave. It's after that when the razor typically drifts into suckitude. And after two or three shaves max, you're considering using a new cartridge. The information I'd like to hear is how many shaves you get with one cartridge, considering that like many of us, you're a four pass guy.

I know the cartridges for the Mach 3 razors cost $20 for 4. Unless there's promotional pricing, I can't imagine the Fusion™®™® cartridges being any cheaper. That and mediocre shaves after the 1st one have driven me away from the plastic Gillette scene.

Again though, pleased you took the time to review this item. I'm also at a loss to what Gillette's R&D will reformulate to get everyone to buy after this razor 'cools off'.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Fusion? I'll have to quote Ralph Kramden-

"I'm calling Bellvue, cause you're nuts!" :001_tt1:

Seriously, please keep us updated.

Damn, that orange thing is bizzare; looks like the bastard child of RoboCop and the Burger King.

OK, based on your review, I'll have to grab one and give it a go. However, even if it's great, I can't see myself facing that damned thing every morning. An new Honda Accord will absolutely smoke a Jag XK120 on the track, but I'll pick the Jag every time.

Cheers,
Robert

It took guts to take this plunge for our benefit, my hat's off to you for that Joel. One thing I'd be curious about....grow your whiskers for 3-4 days then fill us in how how it performs :wink: I'd wager you could make half a stroke (if you could get that far), let go, and the razor will actually hang on your face. This is the major benefit of single cutting edges to me, and always has been. Did you use the new fancy gillette (vibrating?) shaving cream with it, or stick to the good old badger and cream/soap?

Jeff

I, too tried the Fusion, and I've been using it for a few days now. I usually don't do that, but I heard so much about what a problem the cartridge razors are after a few days that I had to do that. My reaction has been the same as yours, except I never felt that resistance you talk about. With the motor this has to be the smoothest, most comfortable shave ever.

It was also surprisingly close after 3 passes. My closeness problem with pivoting head razors has always been that you can't control the blade angle to shave really close. That's where the trimmer blade on the rear comes in. When you use it the head doesn't pivot, so you have a great single blade for final touchups.

It seems Gillette has a real winner here (I hate that!). Finally, the average guy can get great shaves wihtout learning skills. All he has to do is avoid pressing on the razor and he'll get close shaves without nicks.

The one rub is the price of the cartridges. Four cartridges seem to run about $14!

This razor would need to give a close shave ,it has five blades!!!!!!:confused:

It is bordering on being rediculous,:tongue_sm what will be next six blades?

As for the battery vibration, anyone I have asked about this has said it is a novelty thing.

The reason I myself started to use a DE was because of the simplicity of the razor, and the quality of the shave.Of coarse!!! a five blade razor will give as good a shave, it would need to with all those blades, but what will the cost of the razor and blades be

Lets keep it simple and kick this razor into touch:biggrin:

My hat's off to Joel, not only do I admire your open mindedness to try that baby, but what I admire the most is the "balls" to admit to your brother wet shavers how much you like it. It took an open mind for any of us wet shavers to try the DE, that being said I bought one today, I'll use it tomorrow, and I'll post my honest opinion tomorrow. Thanks Joel for all of you great insight. Yes Steve, Ted and Matt I'm trying it. ERIC

Nice review Joel,

I'm afraid this razor would result in serious bodily damage for me if not instant death. :a46:

After making such a convincing case of how much money we would save by my not having to buy cartridges etc. and ending up spending a generations worth of cartridges on DEs, str8ts, brushes, creams, and so forth, SWMBO would kill me with my dullest razor and live happily off of the life insurance if she ever caught me with using a cartridge razor.

:behead:

RVL Saratoga said:
Damn, that orange thing is bizzare; looks like the bastard child of RoboCop and the Burger King.

OK, based on your review, I'll have to grab one and give it a go. However, even if it's great, I can't see myself facing that damned thing every morning. An new Honda Accord will absolutely smoke a Jag XK120 on the track, but I'll pick the Jag every time.

Cheers,
Robert

Robert,

Can't say I blame you. Everyone should own at least one Ford Taurus in their life!

RVL Saratoga said:

Cheers,
Robert

Robert,

Can't say I blame you. Everyone should own at least one Ford Taurus in their life!

Randy
Certified Silver Honda Salesman

I tried the Fusion too. Three times with a days worth of stubble each time.

Day one: Great clean shave. Cleaner than with my DE, though I am new to the DE. No razor burn. Couple nicks. Had to get used to the face sucking quality of the Fusion, not exactly an enjoyable feeling.

Day two: Clean shave, about on par with my DE. No razor burn. Not easy to shave my upper lip.

Day three: Crappy shave, razor burn. Switched to mt Merkur Progress mid-shave.

Day four: Fusion was tossed into the back of my medicine cabinet. Great DE shave was had.

So, it lasted one more day than an M3. It gave me two days without burn or bumps, which the M3 could never do for me. I always got bumps and burn with the M3 if I got a close shave.

But here's the thing. Fusion blades cost over $3 each in bulk. I just can't pour $1.75 in blades into each shave. When I strike gold, I might consider one. Till then, the DE gives almost as good a shave, and I can afford the shave. Maybe when I switch from Merkur blades to Feathers, I will be able to surpass the Fusion. That goes ditto for when my DE form improves.

Webro said:
This razor would need to give a close shave ,it has five blades!!!!!!:confused:

It is bordering on being rediculous,:tongue_sm what will be next six blades?

As for the battery vibration, anyone I have asked about this has said it is a novelty thing.

The reason I myself started to use a DE was because of the simplicity of the razor, and the quality of the shave.Of coarse!!! a five blade razor will give as good a shave, it would need to with all those blades, but what will the cost of the razor and blades be

Lets keep it simple and kick this razor into touch:biggrin:
Have you tried the razor or is this all rumor you have heard?

Vibration is not new. I have a vibrating DE in my collection which is quite old, but it doesn't realy work. In the M3P and Fusion, the vibration is very gentle and, somehow, tuned to the razor. it results in an extremely smooth and comfortable shave.

Don't make assumptions about the shave provided by multiple blades. It is not better then a single blade DE. But the Fusion is probably as good as a DE that is not loaded with a feather blade.

acoldspoon said:
I tried the Fusion too. Three times with a days worth of stubble each time.

Day one: Great clean shave. Cleaner than with my DE, though I am new to the DE. No razor burn. Couple nicks. Had to get used to the face sucking quality of the Fusion, not exactly an enjoyable feeling.

Day two: Clean shave, about on par with my DE. No razor burn. Not easy to shave my upper lip.

Day three: Crappy shave, razor burn. Switched to mt Merkur Progress mid-shave.

Day four: Fusion was tossed into the back of my medicine cabinet. Great DE shave was had.

So, it lasted one more day than an M3. It gave me two days without burn or bumps, which the M3 could never do for me. I always got bumps and burn with the M3 if I got a close shave.
Since I had heard about this happening with multiblade razors I was looking for it and shaved with the Fusion for five days straight, trying it with different products.

I noticed no irritation, even at the end, and there was no accumulation of irritation. It felt like I could do as many passes as I wanted every day and would not get irritation. For me that's a big deal. I don't think you'll find many people with more sensitive skin than I have. I actually have a skin condition and apply medication every day. So, my skin reacts to everything.

The only requirement for using the Fusion successfully was using a light touch- no pressing.

Top Bottom