What's new

Review: Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech

Gillette English Flat Bottom

Today was shave two with this incredible razor. I got this one off of a Dutch equivalent to eBay and it was very nearby from where I live, so all I had to do was drive out and get my razor. No postage problems! It came in an original small green case. Outer appearance is decent for its age, but the inside has seen better days. I have not bothered to make a picture of it, because there is not much to see on the inside. If you look really really close, you can still see the Gillette logo.

Now the razor itself is anything but showing its age. It is absolutely stunning (I believe). I have taken hires pictures so you can see for yourself:

View attachment 1498343View attachment 1498344View attachment 1498345

Plating is still superb and shiny with only one or two blemishes on the handle. I cleaned her with dish washer soap, some warm water and 75%-alcolhol for sanitation. Minor war on the baseplate where the handle and plate meet. I use washers so that will not increase anymore.

Here she is (dis)assembled in the stand I made and varnished today (the little hole is too accommodate the post from the cap):

View attachment 1498358View attachment 1498359

Shave-wise this is the definition of safety razor. I have the impression that getting a weeper or a nick with this razor is almost impossible. I did manage however, but that was because of a prior shave and a run out blade rather than the razor.

It is extremely intuitive to use and I found the angle in no time (steep - which is how I like it anyway). Two passes gets me to DFS/BBS- and three passes is bliss. It’s now 13 hours or so past my shave and stubble has just started to appear. It worked well with a Shark Chrome and I have a Dorco ST300HQ ready for tomorrow. I also received some recommendations from David @never-stop-learning which I will be following up on in future periods.

The fat handle is hollow making this a very light razor and the lightest razor in my collection. I did not weigh her but she feels slightly lighter than my Piccolo (even though that is solid). I can see why a handle by Doug @Rosseforp would go very nicely with the head.

The lightness did not put me off. And that has to do with its effectiveness during the shave. The Flat Bottom combines efficiency from the prewar Tech with the comfort of the postwar Tech. And it simply shaves amazing. I just want to keep using it! Is this would have been my first razor I would not have developed RAD and have multiple razors for basically the same job (and the question to trigger many conversations in my household. That and I can never say ANYTHING about her bags or shoes).

This is a fun razor for both beginners and experienced shaves. It depends more on the blade you are using and the number of passes you need. Speaking of blades: blade alignment is spot on. No Fatip exercises in zen blade placement here. Pop in the blade and done. After all this is a razor from one of the largest blade manufacturers in the world - of course it is going to align properly. Blade overhang is present and manageable.

If you are able to get one at a reasonable price simply do it - you will have a smile shave every morning. I know I do.

Last edited:
Don’t get fooled by the FaTips Guido, afaik the handle of the Piccolo is heavier than the hollow Grande handle.

If you like the Flat Bottom look for a triangle slot pre-war as your next one, once your are out of restraints ;)

58AF2D42-688C-4ED4-BF98-339559C5088C.jpeg

Don’t get fooled by the FaTips Guido, afaik the handle of the Piccolo is heavier than the hollow Grande handle.

If you like the Flat Bottom look for a triangle slot pre-war as your next one, once your are out of restraints ;)

View attachment 1498374
Wow! Hannes, amazing condition.

Funny story actually…I said no to a prewar (fat handle and plastic handle) to be able to stay in GRUME for August (that and a look from the mrs - @JAHE knows what I am talking about!) :eek2:.

Also some postwar fat handles too. In all, I think the Tech ignited my TAD which I even did not know I had!! :letterk1:

Cheers,

Guido

The English FBT is a superb shaver! I will always have one in my den. It delivers smooth, consistently pleasant shaves. Enjoy!!!
I can only wholeheartedly agree David. I had a hard time putting it down in favour of other razors in my rotation. It has a special kind of X factor to it. I was slightly put off by the lightness of the fat handle, but that disappeared the moment I actually held it for its inaugural shave. Love it!

Guido

Great review and a nice straightforward stand. As for the fat handle, I personally think it is one of Gillette's best.

My FB will get an outing soon!
Thanks Tanuki - I will definitely shave with it again this week. As for the stand: when in GRUME be creative :001_smile - that’s how I also made my stand for my Fatips from the same log (the Tech got the last part). Little bit of varnish et voila.

Enjoy your shave - be sure to post it!

Best,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guido,

I'm glad you are enjoying your Flat Bottom Tech as well.

I had my third shave in a row with mine today. My technique with it is improving with each shave so far. I really enjoyed today's shave. My toughest problem area is the sides of my chin. They are much more smooth this time around, six hours later, than they were the last time.

Damnit Guido!

I've been browsing ebay, etsy and tweedehands and found some nice offers... But let's be honest. Isn't this too mild?

Is there anyone able to compare these to Gillette us made flare tip from 63-ish?
I had one but it was too mild for me. The Tech sounds great and is available for very reasonable prices... But am afraid I would be buying something thats too mild yet again?

Damnit Guido!

I've been browsing ebay, etsy and tweedehands and found some nice offers... But let's be honest. Isn't this too mild?

Is there anyone able to compare these to Gillette us made flare tip from 63-ish?
I had one but it was too mild for me. The Tech sounds great and is available for very reasonable prices... But am afraid I would be buying something thats too mild yet again?
Hi Shaun,

Well that depends on which version you get. From my learning and readings the prewar is more aggressive. I have seen pictures that compare baseplates between different Gillettes and the pre war Tech has the same baseplate layout as the Gillette New (which is an open comb) but obviously with a safety bar. I think of Fatip OC and Gentile - basically the same design outside of the safety bar.

Now the postwar was milder from what I read or more comfortable. The Flat Bottom has the best of both worlds.

I do think that over time the Gillette’s became milder (only from reading post after post - I only have 1 vintage) so as to appeal to a as large a audience as they could. It was not about the razors but about the blades, right?

I do get your thinking which is what held me back for quite some time too. I find it to be true with a lot of razors. For example you have a Lo Storto on BST (that I have looked and looked and looked at!). Excellent shaver and definitely an addition to my collection. But will it shave different from the Piccolo’s I already have given the fact that I shave using a slanted stroke most of the time. No telling to be honest.

The beauty with the Tech is that if you do think it is too mild you can either pair it with a sharper blade or BST it to someone else. Techs keep their value in that sense. I personally think it is not mild. It is really comfortable, but not mild. I used it with a KCG blade the other day and it was as efficient as my Fatip OC.

Best,

Guido

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Hey Guido,

Since we were on the topic of second hand sneakers, hope you don't mind me showing off here too:c1:.

I love Techs, no regrets if these are the only the only razors I ever get to use. But for the life of me, can't find an English flat bottom. I hesitated for a long time before pulling the trigger on this "POW" state EFB, but sure am I glad I did!

From the bottom-aligned markings, I'd guess this was once part of a service set. But from the tortured nipples, it has definitely fallen into enemy hands at one point in time.
Image_20220830221800.jpgImage_20220830221820.jpgImage_20220830221827.jpg

Tried to save the handle, but there was nothing I can do to get rid of the black spots...had to amputate. But after 48 minutes of sanding/polishing, the head turned out pretty well. Back on your feet soldier!
Image_20220830221837.jpgImage_20220830221845.jpgImage_20220830221855.jpg

I was tempted to leave it as is, but he'd probably want his old uniform back:
Image_20220830221905.jpg

Reunited with the Allies (CAN, ENG, US):
Image_20220830221914.jpg

First shave impressions: it's a Tech, nuff said. If I'm forced to rank, blade feel is slightly above the Canadian post war, slightly below the American ball end. Just enough to replace both haha.

I don't know what to buy anymore...

Last edited:
Gillette English Flat Bottom

Today was shave two with this incredible razor. I got this one off of a Dutch equivalent to eBay and it was very nearby from where I live, so all I had to do was drive out and get my razor. No postage problems! It came in an original small green case. Outer appearance is decent for its age, but the inside has seen better days. I have not bothered to make a picture of it, because there is not much to see on the inside. If you look really really close, you can still see the Gillette logo.

Now the razor itself is anything but showing its age. It is absolutely stunning (I believe). I have taken hires pictures so you can see for yourself:

View attachment 1498343View attachment 1498344View attachment 1498345

Plating is still superb and shiny with only one or two blemishes on the handle. I cleaned her with dish washer soap, some warm water and 75%-alcolhol for sanitation. Minor war on the baseplate where the handle and plate meet. I use washers so that will not increase anymore.

Here she is (dis)assembled in the stand I made and varnished today (the little hole is too accommodate the post from the cap):

View attachment 1498358View attachment 1498359

Shave-wise this is the definition of safety razor. I have the impression that getting a weeper or a nick with this razor is almost impossible. I did manage however, but that was because of a prior shave and a run out blade rather than the razor.

It is extremely intuitive to use and I found the angle in no time (steep - which is how I like it anyway). Two passes gets me to DFS/BBS- and three passes is bliss. It’s now 13 hours or so past my shave and stubble has just started to appear. It worked well with a Shark Chrome and I have a Dorco ST300HQ ready for tomorrow. I also received some recommendations from David @never-stop-learning which I will be following up on in future periods.

The fat handle is hollow making this a very light razor and the lightest razor in my collection. I did not weigh her but she feels slightly lighter than my Piccolo (even though that is solid). I can see why a handle by Doug @Rosseforp would go very nicely with the head.

The lightness did not put me off. And that has to do with its effectiveness during the shave. The Flat Bottom combines efficiency from the prewar Tech with the comfort of the postwar Tech. And it simply shaves amazing. I just want to keep using it! Is this would have been my first razor I would not have developed RAD and have multiple razors for basically the same job (and the question to trigger many conversations in my household. That and I can never say ANYTHING about her bags or shoes).

This is a fun razor for both beginners and experienced shaves. It depends more on the blade you are using and the number of passes you need. Speaking of blades: blade alignment is spot on. No Fatip exercises in zen blade placement here. Pop in the blade and done. After all this is a razor from one of the largest blade manufacturers in the world - of course it is going to align properly. Blade overhang is present and manageable.

If you are able to get one at a reasonable price simply do it - you will have a smile shave every morning. I know I do.
Hi Guido!

Great review of a great razor :001_smile

Looking forward to getting and trying out mine, when the seller returns from vacation. I can wait.

Now I am just on the hunt for the period correct fat handle to complete it! But, it's the head that shaves!

Well that depends on which version you get. From my learning and readings the prewar is more aggressive.
My personal experience is that the differences in aggression between the various versions of Tech are barely discernable, if not completely imaginary. They all have almost the exact same geometry, after all. The only exception in my experience is the Hybrid, which is noticeably milder than the others.

I really like Techs (there's always one in my rotation, usually an EFB), but I struggle to get BBS with just a Tech unless I use a Kai blade.

The EFB and the Hybrid seem nicer quality and are heavier than the others, but they won't shave any better. I have a US pre-war, 2 EFBs, a Hybrid and various newer Techs, including current production from India and China.

Hey Guido,

Since we were on the topic of second hand sneakers, hope you don't mind me showing off here too:c1:.

I love Techs, no regrets if these are the only the only razors I ever get to use. But for the life of me, can't find an English flat bottom. I hesitated for a long time before pulling the trigger on this "POW" state EFB, but sure am I glad I did!

From the bottom-aligned markings, I'd guess this was once part of a service set. But from the tortured nipples, it has definitely fallen into enemy hands at one point in time.
View attachment 1513932View attachment 1513933View attachment 1513934

Tried to save the handle, but there was nothing I can do to get rid of the black spots...had to amputate. But after 48 minutes of sanding/polishing, the head turned out pretty well. Back on your feet soldier!
View attachment 1513938View attachment 1513939View attachment 1513940

I was tempted to leave it as is, but he'd probably want his old uniform back:
View attachment 1513943

Reunited with the Allies (CAN, ENG, US):
View attachment 1513944

First shave impressions: it's a Tech, nuff said. If I'm forced to rank, blade feel is slightly above the Canadian post war, slightly below the American ball end. Just enough to replace both haha.

I don't know what to buy anymore...
Hey this one slipped by @lasta - apologies. Excellent find and work on the head there! And as for handles, well you know where I stand on those ☺️.

I guess the only thing left to buy is a Hybrid to complement your RFB NEW?? 😁

Guido

Last edited:
My personal experience is that the differences in aggression between the various versions of Tech are barely discernable, if not completely imaginary. They all have almost the exact same geometry, after all. The only exception in my experience is the Hybrid, which is noticeably milder than the others.

I really like Techs (there's always one in my rotation, usually an EFB), but I struggle to get BBS with just a Tech unless I use a Kai blade.

The EFB and the Hybrid seem nicer quality and are heavier than the others, but they won't shave any better. I have a US pre-war, 2 EFBs, a Hybrid and various newer Techs, including current production from India and China.
You obviously have the upper hand here Jack based on your experience. I only have the EFBT and NFB to shave with. And what I have learned from (all) my razors so far is that aggressiveness depends on so many factors and is so YMMV. I find comfort much more important. For example I love my R41 which is considered aggressive by some or most, but I find it to be really comfortable. Now my Razorine is more aggressive to me and others find it an easy shave.

As for the my Tech - I love it to bits. It is very efficient and very mild. It does depend on the blade yes. I do not have Kai’s, but KCG and Gillette 365 do a very good job as well.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom