What's new

REVIEW: Frank Shaving develops in-house synthetic fibre!!!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Bummer looks like you got a reject defect brush. Quality control is way off in my opinion the brushes are cheap and a gamble because shipping costs make it not cost effective to return it

What could have been a great brush if only...

A few days ago I have received a Dscosmetic brush with the G4 fibers. It is what they call the
"Dscosmetic 26mm soft synthetic hair amber resin handle" and it sports the very same stubby handle WCS resells as the "Stone Torch" model.

...The China QC was at least decent
At first I was a little disappointed looking at the handle. It looks like, in the process of making the resin cylinder, they dip some layered yellow material in clear resin and leave it to harden. Eventually, in my case, the cylinder felt off and hardened in a laying position. As a result the bright deep yellow material condensed on one side leaving the opposite side clear. You can actually see the glue of the knot through the clear resin.
proxy.php

This minor flaw is nothing compared to the catastrophic shedding. During the first cleaning process with neutral shampoo, the brush lost 27 fibers. Since then I used the brush three times and it lost at least a dozen fibers at every shave. I have some experience with synthetic brushes. I own or I owned several from Yaqi (7), Maggard (2), Razorock (2), Omega (2), Noberu (1) and none of them have lost a fiber ever! I thought syntetics were immune from shedding, well Dscosmetic proved me wrong.

The G4 fibers...
Are absolutely awesome! If the brush had the same Yaqi quality we would be talking of my favorite synthetic knot ever. Even better than my current favorite, the Mew Brown/Synbad, by a good margin. I was expecting a good knot after reading the praises but it exceeded every expectation. If it wasn't that good I would have binned the brush already. I wish it will eventually stop shedding but I don't have many hopes.

Conclusion:
If You want to try your luck, $15 wouldn't be a great loss. Chances are You will receive a great brush without the flaws I've experienced. The fibers are stellar, the knot could be a tad denser.

It's a wonderful knot indeed!

Let it shed for at least a dozen uses.
I have a tuxedo that shed at least 10 fibres per use for a couple of weeks...It hasn't lost another fibre in the last 2 years!!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I am waiting for my 26 mm G4 to arrive
When it comes I will post my thoughts.
I have a special handle waiting .
The OP was commenting on the G4 right?
I am still waiting :( .......Now how long should one wait ?
it says it was shipped March 7 2019

Has anyone seen/tried the new FS Gen4 brush that's available on their site?
19,99 USD - FS-28MM G4 Synthetic Fiber Shaving Brush Cream Color Handle.

Or will I have to be the first one to buy it? :D

Looks nice.

Just can't get it why cheaper than the brush from the first post, and yet has a 4mm larger knot (which is a lot in a knot!).

Has anyone seen/tried the new FS Gen4 brush that's available on their site?
19,99 USD - FS-28MM G4 Synthetic Fiber Shaving Brush Cream Color Handle.

Or will I have to be the first one to buy it? :D

Looks nice.

Just can't get it why cheaper than the brush from the first post, and yet has a 4mm larger knot (which is a lot in a knot!).

That's a bargain price for what is, in essence, a muhle silvertip fibre!!

Why it's cheaper than the 24mm is a mystery but could be related to the handle.

Finally found it. Challenging site.

28mm and a loft of 54mm? I would think a 60mm loft would be ideal. Good price!

Look forward to a user review.

Anyone interested in the agate handle 24mm brush, shoot me a PM. You can try it out and see what you think!
Eric

Eric; M, Karve Diem, BOSC

Nav - can you tell me which one of these has the new fibre that Frank developed in house? The 28 mm is the only one that says it is the G4 fiber. The 24 mm one says it is FS3#. So I am thinking of getting the 28 mm, since that's the only one I can find on the site that says that it has the G4 fiber. As I understand it, that's the one to get, rather than the FS3 or the Pur-Tech. Thanks for your help and your great review!

US $19.99 |FS 28MM G4 Synthetic Fiber Shaving Brush Cream Color Handle+FREE STAND+FREE SHIPPING-in Shaving Brush from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

US $22.99 |

Nav - can you tell me which one of these has the new fibre that Frank developed in house? The 28 mm is the only one that says it is the G4 fiber. The 24 mm one says it is FS3#. So I am thinking of getting the 28 mm, since that's the only one I can find on the site that says that it has the G4 fiber. As I understand it, that's the one to get, rather than the FS3 or the Pur-Tech. Thanks for your help and your great review!

US $19.99 |FS 28MM G4 Synthetic Fiber Shaving Brush Cream Color Handle+FREE STAND+FREE SHIPPING-in Shaving Brush from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

US $22.99 |

The 24mm one that says FS3 is definitely the G4 knot. That's the brush I have.
The 28mm is also G4 but the handle is quite boring!
The pur-tech is more expensive because it's not FS developed fibre, it's what was supplied to them by muhle (i.e.the silvertip fibre).

Hope that helps.

Thank you Nav! Very helpful. I’m going to get the 24”. Agree about the handle on the other one. May spring for that later though to have a larger size to go with the 24”. The price is right compared to the badgers I have.

I ordered the 28mm one last week. If I like the knot, I'm going to extract it from the handle (by force).

My 28mm is awaiting delivery. Will post pics when I pick it up today or tomorrow. I haven't tried the newer muhle fibers so a comparison won't be an option.

I agree that the handle is a bit boring. But I find that all of the FS synth handles are a bit boring (they have nice handles for badgers though...).

Thank you Nav! Very helpful. I’m going to get the 24”. Agree about the handle on the other one. May spring for that later though to have a larger size to go with the 24”. The price is right compared to the badgers I have.

Most welcome!
Let us know how you get on with it when you receive it. The 24mm handle is even nicer than shown in the photo!

I ordered the 28mm one last week. If I like the knot, I'm going to extract it from the handle (by force).

Looking forward to your review.

My 28mm is awaiting delivery. Will post pics when I pick it up today or tomorrow. I haven't tried the newer muhle fibers so a comparison won't be an option.

I agree that the handle is a bit boring. But I find that all of the FS synth handles are a bit boring (they have nice handles for badgers though...).

The FS and muhle v2 fibres are basically identical. To be honest, If FS had the G4 fibre earlier, I wouldn't have bought the muhle v2...It's just way too expensive for what it is! $86 from maggard for the 23mm, compared to $23 for the FS 24mm...It's a no brainer!

But I'm glad that at least my comparison of the two can help others!

Most welcome!
Let us know how you get on with it when you receive it. The 24mm handle is even nicer than shown in the photo!

Looking forward to your review.

The FS and muhle v2 fibres are basically identical. To be honest, If FS had the G4 fibre earlier, I wouldn't have bought the muhle v2...It's just way too expensive for what it is! $86 from maggard for the 23mm, compared to $23 for the FS 24mm...It's a no brainer!

But I'm glad that at least my comparison of the two can help others!

Connaught has better prices on Muhle.

Here it is:

proxy.php

Handle is a bit nicer that I thought.

A pic after 1st pass (Haslinger Schafmilch)

proxy.php

The "bristle" is nice and soft, density ok, splays with no problem, 28mm doesn't feel too big, although I think that 24mm version should be great (especially with that nice handle).

Getting the knot out of this handle and using it in another handle would also be a good idea.

Top Bottom