What's new

REVIEW: Frank Shaving develops in-house synthetic fibre!!!

I had a Mulhe STF that I relofted and made a handle for that I regret selling. I just sprang for the G4 Frank's (Polar above), I'll try it out and adjust if I feel like it needs it. I made a couple brushes last week with the SynBad and Hawk and have an Angel Hair and Full Moon knots coming in the mail.

Last edited:
Would this brush be a great entry into the world of synthetic brushes? I currently own a WCS silver tip badger and an Omega 10066 boar brush.

I had a Mulhe STF that I relofted and made a handle for that I regret selling. I just sprang for the G4 Frank's (Polar above), I'll try it out and adjust if I feel like it needs it. I made a couple brushes last week with the SynBad and Hawk and have an Angel Hair and Full Moon knots coming in the mail.

You getting the polar shaving G4?...very nice! They look awesome!!

Please update us on the full moon knot. I'm interested to know your thoughts as I find it excellent but there's hardly any talk about this knot.

Would this brush be a great entry into the world of synthetic brushes? I currently own a WCS silver tip badger and an Omega 10066 boar brush.

I would say yes. It's very easy to work with and generates a larger very rapidly.
I feel it's a great one to get into synthetics. You may or may not get another synthetic after it so whether it's your first or your last, either way...it's a fantastic brush!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You getting the polar shaving G4?...very nice! They look awesome!!

Please update us on the full moon knot. I'm interested to know your thoughts as I find it excellent but there's hardly any talk about this knot.

I would say yes. It's very easy to work with and generates a larger very rapidly.
I feel it's a great one to get into synthetics. You may or may not get another synthetic after it so whether it's your first or your last, either way...it's a fantastic brush!
Help @nav
I received this brush today in a frank shaving box, that was scotch taped shut
The handle looks as pictured
But it says on the handle "polar shaving" theres a bear on the other side. Is this a authentic brush?
Thanks

Hello @nav, I'm asking to you because you are the reference when it comes to G4 fibers.
How do visually compare the DSCosmetic fibers to the FS G4? I mean, do they look the same/similar/different?
I have one brush on the way and I can't wait to try it.

proxy.php

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ok my bad i see this polar is a brand. Confusing. But i guess that answers that. My handle has color variation / defects and setting the handle flat the knot looks crooked. So not overly impressed

Hello @nav, I'm asking to you because you are the reference when it comes to G4 fibers.
How do visually compare the DSCosmetic fibers to the FS G4? I mean, do they look the same/similar/different?
I have one brush on the way and I can't wait to try it.

proxy.php

There is indeed a DS cosmetic fibre which is very similar to the FS G4 fibre.
DS first offered it in only their long handles but I believe it's now available in a couple of handles too.
It's a wonderful knot for sure. It's a 26mm instead of the FS 24mm.

I ordered a polar brush yesterday, have about 7 other synthetics, so it should be interesting to compare

They look great! Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Ok my bad i see this polar is a brand. Confusing. But i guess that answers that. My handle has color variation / defects and setting the handle flat the knot looks crooked. So not overly impressed

Yes, polar shaving is a shaving group for whom FS makes brushes.
I don't have one personally so I can't comment on quality etc but I know they are FS made brushes.

You should contact the seller if it's defective. I also really get annoyed at tilted knots! I got a Yaqi with a tilted knot but it was very minor so i didn't raise an issue but if it annoys you, you should take it up with the seller as every brush should be assembled perfectly no matter the cost.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
There is indeed a DS cosmetic fibre which is very similar to the FS G4 fibre.
DS first offered it in only their long handles but I believe it's now available in a couple of handles too.
It's a wonderful knot for sure. It's a 26mm instead of the FS 24mm.

They look great! Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Yes, polar shaving is a shaving group for whom FS makes brushes.
I don't have one personally so I can't comment on quality etc but I know they are FS made brushes.

You should contact the seller if it's defective. I also really get annoyed at tilted knots! I got a Yaqi with a tilted knot but it was very minor so i didn't raise an issue but if it annoys you, you should take it up with the seller as every brush should be assembled perfectly no matter the cost.
Thanks! I did reach out to the seller. Tilted is a better way to describe it i noticed it right out of the box the handle design stripes are almost blurry its odd thanks for your reply

Here's a pic of the Polar brush with the G4 fiber as advertised. I only did a hand lather so far and will shave with it tomorrow. It does feel nice and soft and suspect it will work great for face lathering but I won't get the cart in front of the horse. I'll wait and see. Unfortunately it been quite awhile since I had a Muhle SF knot so a direct comparison will be tough. I'm feel good about it though. I lost a few fibers during the hand lather but nothing to worry about.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Here's a pic of the Polar brush with the G4 fiber as advertised. I only did a hand lather so far and will shave with it tomorrow. It does feel nice and soft and suspect it will work great for face lathering but I won't get the cart in front of the horse. I'll wait and see. Unfortunately it been quite awhile since I had a Muhle SF knot so a direct comparison will be tough. I'm feel good about it though. I lost a few fibers during the hand lather but nothing to worry about.
Nice
thats what i got. Except the knot is tilted and at the base the stripes of grey are smudged.

I used it today and all that aside its a very nice synthetic. Very very soft but pleasant to face lather. Decent backbone. Not a big knot but it doesn't hog lather at all. I ended up with several fibers on my face so hopefully its not a shedder.

i would love it except for the cosmetic issues mentioned above and if it doesn't keep shedding

The knot also rinsed clean in very short time under the tap. Noticeably fast. A nice plus for the work week.

I hope @oscar11 enjoys the shave post your impressions .

Darn it! I had made up my mind that I was done adding to my collection since most of it sits unused in a drawer. My new brush arrives in 23 days!

Darn it! I had made up my mind that I was done adding to my collection since most of it sits unused in a drawer. My new brush arrives in 23 days!

Please do let us know your experience with the brush.

I'm not very good with reviews so I'll be brief. If your a face latherer I think you'll like this brush (knot). This is the G4 SF from Frank's Shaving and it's a good one, IMO. I received this brush yesterday and did a hand lather and lost a few fibers but no big deal. I had my first shave this morning and lathered MWF without issue (I don't have problems with MWF regardless of brush used) and had a very nice shave with no further fiber loss. My beard prep is done with a brush and soap so my brushes get used. It is soft and has a very nice feel on the face no problem splaying. I like it. Edit: This brush was bought from Polar Shaving.

I'm not very good with reviews so I'll be brief. If your a face latherer I think you'll like this brush (knot). This is the G4 SF from Frank's Shaving and it's a good one, IMO. I received this brush yesterday and did a hand lather and lost a few fibers but no big deal. I had my first shave this morning and lathered MWF without issue (I don't have problems with MWF regardless of brush used) and had a very nice shave with no further fiber loss. My beard prep is done with a brush and soap so my brushes get used. It is soft and has a very nice feel on the face no problem splaying. I like it. Edit: This brush was bought from Polar Shaving.

Nice review!
That brush is gorgeous.
I only face lather so the shorter FS handle is fine but this one looks like it'd be very good for bowl lathering too, with it's longer handle.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
So they asked for pics of the tilted knot and i sent a pic of the deformed handle pattern.
the response wa s "sorry" i can send it back or keep it.
i guess thats sort of an obvious response! But im underwhelmed.

I bought a synthetic brush from Maggard’s and found it too soft for me. I gave it to my wife. I would hate to buy another and find it the same. My Franks badger brush knot is great, but the handle is too short for bowl use. I like a handle on both razors and brushes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My polar handle graphics or whatever are smudged i sent pics seller told me that's the way they make it. Not credible given on line pics. i firmly believe i got a returned brush given the handle defect and tilted knot buyer beware

My polar handle graphics or whatever are smudged i sent pics seller told me that's the way they make it. Not credible given on line pics. i firmly believe i got a returned brush given the handle defect and tilted knot buyer beware
The smearing is a bit out of control of the manufacturer. The material is a three dimensional 'mix' of different color resins. The pattern changes as it is machined. A bit like wood grain, the pattern that you get is what you get. If the manufacturer started making aesthetic judgement on the finished pattern all hell would break loose. Now the tilted knot is a different story and should not pass QC IMO.

I think I have "decoded" the Frank Shaving terminology regarding their G-line of synthetic knots:
G1= Plissoft style
G2= "Faux Finest"
G3= Tuxedo
G4= Silvertip Fibre

A "Faux finest" G2 on a "Faux bacon" handle. I'll have to pass on this one as I would be too tempted to taste the brush while lathering. :001_302:
proxy.php

Top Bottom