What's new

REVIEW: Frank Shaving develops in-house synthetic fibre!!!

That Polar Shaving rebranded FS with barber handle looks fantastic and I would have jumped on it. Unfortunately they don't ship to my place and neither does the official FS online store.

iShaving

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
That Polar Shaving rebranded FS with barber handle looks fantastic and I would have jumped on it. Unfortunately they don't ship to my place and neither does the official FS online store.

iShaving
That makes it harder. Where do you get most of you're gear?

On the strength of this review by Nav, I ordered the brush. My impression? Yes, it's the best of the six synthetics I own. The RazorRock Plissoft is a great synthetic but critics say it's a little floppy and scratchy. The FS3 is stiffer, with more backbone, and softer tips. The knot is less full, but it lathers better. Weight and height are nearly the same. The cost is about double that of the RazorRock, and it's absolutely worth it. But it's more of a refinement than a quantum leap ahead. The RazorRock is outstanding while FS3 is nearly perfect. I don't own a silvertip but it's a better "badger" than my EJ Best Badger. We've come a long way from the Omega Syntex, baby!

On the strength of this review by Nav, I ordered the brush. My impression? Yes, it's the best of the six synthetics I own. The RazorRock Plissoft is a great synthetic but critics say it's a little floppy and scratchy. The FS3 is stiffer, with more backbone, and softer tips. The knot is less full, but it lathers better. Weight and height are nearly the same. The cost is about double that of the RazorRock, and it's absolutely worth it. But it's more of a refinement than a quantum leap ahead. The RazorRock is outstanding while FS3 is nearly perfect. I don't own a silvertip but it's a better "badger" than my EJ Best Badger. We've come a long way from the Omega Syntex, baby!

Nice!
Thanks for your review!
I agree with you that the Razorock (and majority of synthetics these days) are excellent but the FS G4 fibre is a good enhancement to those.
It's definitely one of my favorite knots of all time. I'm glad you like it too!!

I’ve bought this brush too. I can compare it with Yaqi Taxedo 28 mm. These knots are different in size and density but I can’t see the great differense in bristle (I don’t mean the colour). Both of them have soft tips and it’s easy to make leather with them. But I don’t feel that FS brush splashes like a badger at all (I use Zenith manchurian). It splashes like synthetic. This brush is OK but it didn’t give me any new experience after Yaqi.
And I wonder why do you call with brush G4? I tried to find any mention about Generation 4 fibre at FS site or shop but in vain. I read that G4 fibre is Muhle stv2, FS purtech, Simpsons. I’d appreciate if you give me any link about FS G4.
Everything is IMHO.

How does the Frank's synthetic compare to the Full Moon synthetic?

They feel quite different to me.
The G4 has a very soft, almost feather like face feel. Very similar to the muhle STF.

The full moon is more like an enhanced version of the RR plissoft. It's very soft but not feather like. The splay on it is one of the best I've experienced from a synthetic. It also has the lowest tenancy to fling lather/water out of any synthetic I've used (but this is easily addressed with a technique adjustment).

Both wonderful choices, literally can't go wrong! :)

I’ve bought this brush too. I can compare it with Yaqi Taxedo 28 mm. These knots are different in size and density but I can’t see the great differense in bristle (I don’t mean the colour). Both of them have soft tips and it’s easy to make leather with them. But I don’t feel that FS brush splashes like a badger at all (I use Zenith manchurian). It splashes like synthetic. This brush is OK but it didn’t give me any new experience after Yaqi.
And I wonder why do you call with brush G4? I tried to find any mention about Generation 4 fibre at FS site or shop but in vain. I read that G4 fibre is Muhle stv2, FS purtech, Simpsons. I’d appreciate if you give me any link about FS G4.
Everything is IMHO.

The G4 was mentioned on their FB page.
It's basically their in-house version of the STF gen 4 fibre.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks nav and all for the great reviews and back forth / detail about the g4 thanks @Klinker for the amazon heads up
So im in on the g4 cant wait to try it! I have a wide sampling of synth brushes, my favorites are a yaqi space, rr, on the other end of the spectrum the chubby 2 just doesn't work for me. Looking forward to the g4.

Thanks nav, I appreciate it.

You're welcome.

I mentioned you can't go wrong with G4 or full moon but on second thought, I really feel the G4 is better overall!!

Thanks nav and all for the great reviews and back forth / detail about the g4 thanks @Klinker for the amazon heads up
So im in on the g4 cant wait to try it! I have a wide sampling of synth brushes, my favorites are a yaqi space, rr, on the other end of the spectrum the chubby 2 just doesn't work for me. Looking forward to the g4.

No worries! :)
I look forward to your feedback on the G4.

The Yaqi space is an excellent brush and I really enjoy it. I have the mysterious space handle on 4 variations: fan tuxedo, bulb tuxedo, two band and silvertip fan. I also have their other space handle, the red nebulae with timber wolf knot.

One more comparison question, if you don't mind Nav. I have found the Yaqi rainbrow brown to be the best overall brush I've owned in 40+ years of wet shaving. How does it compare to the Frank G4?

One more comparison question, if you don't mind Nav. I have found the Yaqi rainbrow brown to be the best overall brush I've owned in 40+ years of wet shaving. How does it compare to the Frank G4?

I can see why you like the rainbow brush so much...It's one if my favorites too!

The only difference worth mentioning is the feather-like face feel of the G4.
Performance wise, the rainbow is right up there and I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different.

If you want to try something different to the rainbow, the G4 can give you that but if it's one or the other, IMO you're already set with the rainbow, which is absolutely awesome!

I can see why you like the rainbow brush so much...It's one if my favorites too!

The only difference worth mentioning is the feather-like face feel of the G4.
Performance wise, the rainbow is right up there and I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different.

If you want to try something different to the rainbow, the G4 can give you that but if it's one or the other, IMO you're already set with the rainbow, which is absolutely awesome!
Thanks, Nav. I have about 8 brushes now (having sold off several I didn't use), including badger and boar and a mix badger/boar, but I find myself using either my rainbow or moka synthetic about 90% of the time.

Thanks, Nav. I have about 8 brushes now (having sold off several I didn't use), including badger and boar and a mix badger/boar, but I find myself using either my rainbow or moka synthetic about 90% of the time.

The moka is my favorite handle and the mew brown knot is also fantastic!...I have that knot in the purple haze handle and barber pole handle too.

The G4 can give you a different feel if you're curious. At the price, I see it no less than a bargain!

Top Bottom