What's new

REVIEW: Frank Shaving develops in-house synthetic fibre!!!

One more
proxy.php

Here it is:

proxy.php

Handle is a bit nicer that I thought.

A pic after 1st pass (Haslinger Schafmilch)

proxy.php

The "bristle" is nice and soft, density ok, splays with no problem, 28mm doesn't feel too big, although I think that 24mm version should be great (especially with that nice handle).

Getting the knot out of this handle and using it in another handle would also be a good idea.

Looks great!

The handle is indeed nicer than shown in the FS photo.
Same with the 24mm!
They should upgrade their camera/photo skills!

Mine came. First impression, the fibers are nice and soft, but the glue bump is massive. Maybe it won’t matter. I will reserve judgement until after I try it.

If G4 is supposed to replicate the Muhle fibers, I think the 28mm brush was mislabeled. It feels much more like a Plissoft than a Muhle STF knot. No wonder why it was only $20...buyer beware.

As I said, I dodn't get to try the new muhle fibers, but this seems softer (at least the tips) than the plissoft (my only plissoft is the Razorock BC pictured above).
You can see the side by side pic and visually confirm they aren't the same.

Ps. The glue bump isn't bigger than the Fine stout or my Razorock brushes.

C1AEB4A0-3804-46D4-81A6-C9E66E6EDAD9.jpeg
I was highly skeptical, but pleasantly surprised after using this brush this morning. It’s not as floppy as a Plissoft. I still think the fibers are finer than the STF fibers. Maybe the giant glue bump helps it splay well and not be too floppy. I think it could stand to have a bit more density/backbone, but maybe it wouldn’t splay as well as it does. Anyhow, I was sort of disappointed at first, but now happy with my $20 purchase. I’m still going to try to get the knot out though. Fingers crossed.

After reading many reviews, I decided to get the G4 synthetic brush. That was 2 months ago... and here it is. I really like the look of the brush.

IMG_20200526_145244_2.jpg
IMG_20200526_145321_2.jpg

I've lathered it couple times and here's my say on it.

It's got mid-high backbone. It feels soft and low-mid scrubby. Fairly dense.

It really reminds me of the Hawk knot/Roswell knot and the tuxedo knot. At this point, I'm wondering if the three are the same knots with just different cosmetics. That said, there might be small differences between the three but the feel is turning out very similar.

I think it was a good purchase. I did want something with less backbone but that was the risk that I took. I'll keep it in my rotation and make it look pretty in my den, haha.

After reading many reviews, I decided to get the G4 synthetic brush. That was 2 months ago... and here it is. I really like the look of the brush.

View attachment 1105440 View attachment 1105441

I've lathered it couple times and here's my say on it.

It's got mid-high backbone. It feels soft and low-mid scrubby. Fairly dense.

It really reminds me of the Hawk knot/Roswell knot and the tuxedo knot. At this point, I'm wondering if the three are the same knots with just different cosmetics. That said, there might be small differences between the three but the feel is turning out very similar.

I think it was a good purchase. I did want something with less backbone but that was the risk that I took. I'll keep it in my rotation and make it look pretty in my den, haha.

Nice Tim!
Glad you added the G4 to your collection.

I personally found it has fairly unique characteristics compared to other knots but of course this can vary due to brush construction, glue bump etc.

I'll keep a lookout for your YT review.

Just wondering if this is still the state of the art in the world of synthetic shaving brushes (in terms of price/performance ratio) as we approach 2022. I have two of the G4 from FS (26mm & 20mm) and absolutely love them. In fact, I love the G4 knot so much I'm in the process of getting a customized 28mm with a handle of my liking. However I'm interested if there's a new player in the block that I'm not aware of. Anyways thanks for any reply. Cheers guys.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Just wondering if this is still the state of the art in the world of synthetic shaving brushes (in terms of price/performance ratio) as we approach 2022. I have two of the G4 from FS (26mm & 20mm) and absolutely love them. In fact, I love the G4 knot so much I'm in the process of getting a customized 28mm with a handle of my liking. However I'm interested if there's a new player in the block that I'm not aware of. Anyways thanks for any reply. Cheers guys.
IMO: AP ShaveCo. G5A SHD Premium Synthetic Knot is the new state of the art.

Frank's Shaving new G5 brush is really nice and it's only $21.00 on Amazon. This is the new state of the art brush. They have different handles to choose from. Great deal.

G5-.jpg

Last edited:

The silvertip fibre knot is still my #1 after all these years but the G4 still holds its own!

The G5a is likely to be a step up but I haven't used it so can't say for sure.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've probably tried 10 different types of synthetic knots, from 1970s nylon to the Omega EVO and almost everything in between. Nothing comes close to this brush. The combination of the Simpsons' Platinum fibre and the fulcrum created by the longer handle make this the sweetest synthetic I've ever used. So good I bought a second. I own the same fibre in the Chubby 2 and the Duke 3, and both are nice, but the M7 is exquisite.

m7 synth resze2.jpeg

Top Bottom