What's new

Review: Focus Slim Al

$DSCF6092_1024resize.jpg

Rather than provide a fully blown 101 on the razor, I'd encourage anyone curious to refer to this great intro video by our very own Jarrod at The Superior Shave.

)

For my first shave with the Focus Slim Al I opted for a half a Derby. No they are not a great blade but they are a good reference point. I test most of my DEs and shavettes with a Derby - as I know better how to adjust from there. The Slim Al, is light - possibly lighter than the Dovo Stainless Steel - but has a much better balance and feel. Also the design of the Slim Al - all aluminium (without some plastic adapter seat) - makes for a very rigid blade; a challenge with shavettes I've noticed and a credit to the Focus designer/s. As noted earlier, and it bears repeating, the tolerances here are extremely precise. If you snap your blade and leave too much of an upturn on the broken end it will struggle to lock the load. Also boxed half blades - such as the Lords I tested - appear too thin and not lock into place. I assume the designer/s figured the inevitable small break upturn and have figured that into the equation.

With just one shave under my belt (figuratively speaking!) it's a little early to make a call, but the results were very, very promising. Got a very close result - with comfortable ATG passes. However I'll need to better understand the pressure applied - not easy to naturally ease off when the unit is so light - as I got bit twice. Tiny pops but pops nonetheless. However, I suspect it'll be the best of the shavettes I've tried and reckon it might be a keeper.

Will likely stick with Slim Al exclusively for a while and map the progress here, be keen to start cataloging other folks experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up this razor a while ago on a TSS order and really love it! (I've probably used it 8-10 times.) I too cannot stress how light it is, but once you get over that learning curve and find the sweet spot in terms of angle... I get BBS's with mild irritation using the Shark shavette half-blades. I also like the fact that you can get lots of control by gripping the razor right down where blade meets shavette, past where the shoulder of a normal straight would be. I suppose that's a feature of shavettes in general, but I get good results by extending my fingers and doing that. Maybe I'll make a video and throw it up this weekend!

Zach, is this true?

It sure is! I was pretty active on B&B a while ago, and now that it's on my phone I want to get back into it again. I tried to make a blindfolded shave video a while back, but it mostly got in the way. (Sorry to derail the thread! I'll post a Focus AL video this weekend and you'll see.)

I picked up this razor a while ago on a TSS order and really love it! (I've probably used it 8-10 times.) I too cannot stress how light it is, but once you get over that learning curve and find the sweet spot in terms of angle... I get BBS's with mild irritation using the Shark shavette half-blades. I also like the fact that you can get lots of control by gripping the razor right down where blade meets shavette, past where the shoulder of a normal straight would be. I suppose that's a feature of shavettes in general, but I get good results by extending my fingers and doing that. Maybe I'll make a video and throw it up this weekend!
Zach, mate, great to hear you're clicking with Slim Al. Like you I got a little irritation under the chin/neck but boy was it close. Not sure it will outdo the straight - only as I hone each blade exactly how I like them (switching between coticules and jnats mainly). However, I can see this being a handy tool for short-term travel (otherwise I pack a couple of straights, travel strop and small bout) and those morning's when I'm in a frantic rush and might have otherwise reached for a DE.

Hey quick Q mate:
I get BBS's with mild irritation using the Shark shavette half-blades.
As mentioned, I found the Lord half-blades too thin so they failed to click fast. Just wondering if you needed to make any adjustments to house the Sharks, or whether they were good to go right out of the box? Do you happen to have tried the Lords?

...now where's this video? :skep:

Last edited:
Zach, mate, great to hear you're clicking with Slim Al. Like you I got a little irritation under the chin/neck but boy was it close. Not sure it will outdo the straight - only as I hone each blade exactly how I like them (switching between coticules and jnats mainly). However, I can see this being a handy tool for short-term travel (otherwise I pack a couple of straights, travel strop and small bout) and those morning's when I'm in a frantic rush and might have otherwise reached for a DE.

Hey quick Q mate:

As mentioned, I found the Lord half-blades too thin so they failed to click fast. Just wondering if you needed to make any adjustments to house the Sharks, or whether they were good to go right out of the box? Do you happen to have tried the Lords?

...now where's this video? :skep:

Ha! I'm actually at a conference right now, and really debated with myself about bringing the AL. Opted for the good ole Prima Klang and strop and I'm glad I did. Another time when I'm in more of a rush... The focus is a totally different experience than a traditional straight because of the pressure issue, and the weight (or lack thereof) of the blade... I like it for those weekdays when I oversleep and don't have time to strop... I also really like that it basically sets up the ideal angle for you, unlike other shavettes I've used. Sharks worked right out of the box for me. Haven't tried lords. I suppose if I really jostled it, it might come loose, but pretty snug. When I get home I'll try breaking a DE blade in half to compare.

Thanks to @Slapo I was alerted to the existence of the Focus Slim and I have just received my Focus Slim Al with purple aluminium scales.
There's also an Ap model with plastic scales now which is a bit cheaper, but the all aluminium Al is REALLY nice:
IMG_8236.JPG

IMG_8238.JPG

IMG_8240.JPG

Like the IBC this is a truly classy DE blade shavette and it has excellent geometry.
A bit like the Feather SS, the shape of the jaws has a skin stretching effect if you use a shallow angle, and this makes for an incredibly smooth shave and great ATG shaving.
My saloon Permasharps fitted straight out of the box and I love this Focus Slim!
It looks great, feels great, shaves great and gives a great result.
A really really stylish super shavette:
IMG_8243.JPG

Last edited:
So after reading all these raving reviews and not quite comfortable pulling the trigger on a worthwhile SR just yet I placed my order for one of these beauties today. (I got it in green) I really want to graduate up to SR's in the near future but after much reading and research I know I'm gonna drop a few hundies or more on a nice one, I figure this is a good jumping off point and probably. Anyways, I'll post pics and a review as soon as it arrives, I'll stop shaving as of today to give it a good run.

After having a lot of fun with the Focus Dynamic SE (what an amazing razor!) I transferred the half-Bic Chrome blade to the Slim Al for a truly fantastic shave.
This shave reminded me that DE blade shavettes can give the very very very best of shaves and that the Focus Slim is a top class razor that can happily take it's place alongside Artist Club and straight razors.
Along with the IBC I think this has to be the ultimate shavette!
IMG_9130.JPG

Is this razor looks and feels sturdy and rugged ?
To me the Focus Slim Al feels light, strong and rigid - like a Mitsubishi Lancer!
The Al has aluminium scales and there's also a Pl version which has plastic scales so who knows what that feels like?

To me the Focus Slim Al feels light, strong and rigid - like a Mitsubishi Lancer!
The Al has aluminium scales and there's also a Pl version which has plastic scales so who knows what that feels like?

Got the point, I'm really looking for a shavete that will last more than at least twenty years. So I think that the slim will fit the bill. At the same time I'm planning buy a Universal also. Comming months are going to be preeettty interesting !!

So I broke out of my Injector frenzy tonight as the Focus Slim called me back!
I used a Kai blade and the result was great.
The Kai blades are wider than standard DE blades but the pressure ridge on the Slim’s Head still worked perfectly when the razor was pressed almost flat to the face.
The wider Kai blades mess with the geometry of the Dynamic SE which shares a similar head design to the Slim so I was surprised and pleased to find that the geometry of the Slim still works great with those same blades.

Such a great razor and the Kai blade works really well with it.
772E4D98-FCF1-4DCB-95AD-D1109A2FFB42.jpeg

Thanks to the wisdom and encouragement of @captnronfl I got an Injector blade to fit the Focus Slim by loosening the 3 pins in the head.
There are two recesses on each pin to to allow them to be unscrewed but I cheated and used a pair of pliers to gently turn them anti-clockwise.
image.jpg

The good news is that loosened like this the Focus Slim will now take DE and Injector blades.

So now I can put a Personna 74 Injector blade in the Focus Slim!
Can shaving be any better than this?

Last edited:
I would take a dremel and grind a little where the screws touch on the inside.
I mean if I had yours I would do that... if it were mine it would depend on how much was needed to be taken off.
Just saying ... I think it's fine the way it is.

Hurry up and shave with it for a review.
Can't wait to see if you come up with the same thoughts I had doing this with the Focus Dynamic razor.

Last edited:
Hurry up and shave with it for a review.
Can't wait to see if you come up with the same thoughts I had doing this with the Focus Dynamic razor.
I’m a big fan of the Focus Slim with a half-DE blade in it but adjusting it to take an Injector blade transforms it.
The extra thickness and rigidity of the blade actually do make it feel a bit like shaving with a straight, and rather than the edgey bitiness of the DE blade, the Injector blade makes for some incredibly smooth and comfortable shaving.
With that P74 loaded this must be ultimate shaving!
96570CA9-690D-4C7B-A747-B2162B680EDB.jpeg

Another monumentally good shave with the Focus Slim, a P74 Injector Blade (4), a Palmolive stick and a Timber Wolf brush:
3105B3B7-7580-4835-97E7-79A362DAFB6E.jpeg

Adjusting the Slim to accept Injector Blades was such a good move!

I recently purchased the focus slim AL and wanted to ask if the feather artist club professional blades would fit by making the adjustment as mentioned above , if not could someone provide a link for the longer Kai blade mentioned above? thanks again

I recently purchased the focus slim AL and wanted to ask if the feather artist club professional blades would fit by making the adjustment as mentioned above , if not could someone provide a link for the longer Kai blade mentioned above? thanks again
The AC blades are too long to fit unless you cut them down as some Injector users do.
The Kai DE blades are available on eBay and here in Europe from Connaught.

I had such a bad experience with the Personna PTFE Injector Blades in my Supply Provision Injector (which is a superb razor with the right blade in it) so I wondered if they would do any better in the Focus Slim.

And the answer is yes they do!
Focus Slim+Personna PTFE Injector Blade=Excellent shave.

The Focus Slim is amazing and it’s even more amazing with an Injector blade in it:
08383F9A-741A-48DC-BF4D-A2BAE25F9784.jpeg

Personna PTFE Injector Blades
I too have not had a good experience with them.
I'm in Australia at the moment and brought with me my "new" Schick adjustable.
I'm not sure which one I have.
It has M18 or M13 as I can't tell what it is.
It has a twin blade in it now but I have brought along the persona's to try in it.
I'm waiting on some twins to be shipped to my home in the states and then to me here in Perth.
Now I'm thinking that I might not want to try the Schick blades I brought with me and just pass them along to someone else when I get back state side.
IMG_3909.JPG

IMG_3910.JPG

Back to the Focus Slim last night with a half-Bolzano.
By keeping the razor head as flat to my face as possible the pressure ridge was fully utilised for some excellent ATG shaving under the chin and an all round superb shave:
027C3221-9AA9-4B6D-B9F5-D6F73E17D2DF.jpeg

You can see in the photo above the left hand pin the soft aluminium of the razor head is quite prone to scratching so I suppose in time each Focus Slim will develop its own character with unique signs of wear.
What a great shavette this is!

Top Bottom