What's new

Review: Fake Polsilver SI vs The Real Thing

I've got a several hundred of these counterfeits. :blush: If anyone would like to try them, I'm happy send as many as you'd like. They're not horrible, but they're well below the standard of real Polsilver SIs. PM me if you're interested - otherwise I'll bin them next week.

I keep my bad blades for spray paint fume or cutting clothes labels. I use maybe 10-15 per year? At least they serve a perpose.

The funny thing is that some people claim that both Polsilver blades perform very similarly and that confuses the hell out of me. There's a local vendor that sells these blades and a month ago or so, some guy on a local Facebook shaving group said that he's going to buy 100 blades from the vendor and compare them with some of the old Polsilver blades that he has. A week or so ago he made a detailed review and according to him, there's no difference between the blades in terms of performance.

I'm still not convinced that both blades perform the same, but at some point I will definitely find a way to get my hands on a pack of 5 blades to see the truth for myself once and for all.

The funny thing is that some people claim that both Polsilver blades perform very similarly and that confuses the hell out of me. There's a local vendor that sells these blades and a month ago or so, some guy on a local Facebook shaving group said that he's going to buy 100 blades from the vendor and compare them with some of the old Polsilver blades that he has. A week or so ago he made a detailed review and according to him, there's no difference between the blades in terms of performance.

I'm still not convinced that both blades perform the same, but at some point I will definitely find a way to get my hands on a pack of 5 blades to see the truth for myself once and for all.
For science! I’ll send you some pls pm.

I am convinced that the fakes are not in any way comparable to the originals. That's why I'm prepared to send you 99 if you'd like to determine for yourself!

I'm moving later this year so I'm trying to clear out as much extra stuff as possible. Good idea for using them though!

A couple of years back, I've purchased a bulk of vintage Personna blades that were listed as Personna Advanced SS. The actual naked blades were not shown but there was a picture of a wrapper which rightfully led me to believe that I was indeed purchasing Personna Advanced SS. When the bulk arrived, I found out that the blades were actually carbon steel Personna Fina wrapped in recycled reversed wrappers. One of two times I've been had on eBay, I wasn't happy but didn't return them as it would have cost as much as what I'd paid (About 20$ if my memory serves me well). Awful blades, I'm certain your fake SIs shave better. :-/

proxy.php

*Polsilver SIs (Russia), Wizamet Iridium Super (Russia), OG Wizamet Iridium Super (Poland), and OG Wizamet Polsilver Stainless. Also, at one point or the other, the SIs were sold by Wizamet (Poland) as Polsilver Super Iridium, Iridium, Iridium Polsilver & Super Iridium.

View attachment 1397649
proxy.php

Images source: zennhorst, The Shavenook

I have some of the light brown Polsilvers which are excellent, but several of these packages I've never seen before!

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I'm getting pretty tired of these rip-offs selling counterfeit junk. Everywhere -- car parts, kitchen gadgets, electronics, clothing. Makes me want to puke. Sorry for all you guys who got taken.

Now I feel a little better.
+1!

Like most of us, I'm pretty attuned to the world of scams.
  • Pfishing emails announcing my Wells Fargo acount has been compromised (I don't have a Wells Fargo account).
  • Telemarketers expressing concern that my new car warranty is expiring (my Accord odometer just turned 240,000 miles).
  • Clickbait AT&T texts offering rewards (a call the AT&T Fraud Hotline, asking them to monitor their own network was disturbingly fruitless).
But somehow, scams identified in this thread I find more unsettling. I think it is because these fake blade scams have crossed into my safe corner of the internet. When vermin take advantage of my gentlemanly B&B brothers, it heightens my sense of violation. It makes me angry.

I felt the same anger when the Buy-Sell-Trade forum was shut down due to a fraudulent offering (we must now include username and dates with pictures).

FDR once famously called out his opposition, saying “These leaders have not been content with attacks on me, or my wife, or on my sons. No, not content with that, they now include my little dog, Fala. I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself — such as that old, worm-eaten chestnut that I have represented myself as indispensable. But I think I have a right to resent [and] object to libelous statements about my dog.”

I'm like FDR in that regard. Back off. Don't mess with my friends.

There. Now I feel a little better, too.

static.politico.com.jpg

I had a similar experience a little over a year ago importing Gillette Rubies from the Philippines. 700 blades and the cost of a freight forwarder was a lot of $$$ down the drain nearly $400.
Am sorry to hear that, but am not surprised by the hassle and cost you experienced.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the Rubies from the Philippines before? I live in Manila and tried them thrice over a ten-year period. Couldn't get along with them in a decent razor. They were more unpleasant in the plastic Rubie razor that is also sold locally.

Am sorry to hear that, but am not surprised by the hassle and cost you experienced.

Out of curiosity, have you tried the Rubies from the Philippines before? I live in Manila and tried them thrice over a ten-year period. Couldn't get along with them in a decent razor. They were more unpleasant in the plastic Rubie razor that is also sold locally.
No I hadn't, A few members here who are from the area had posted reviews that were really positive and the old adage: "you want what you can't have" kicked in so I took a huge gamble and lost.

Another sleeve of fakes on the bay. This time, the seller is clearly attempting to mislead buyers:

polsilvers.jpg

The first photo, of the sleeve, on the left shows the fake blades (the nearly closed loop of the '5' and the curl on the 'y'). The second shot, purporting to be of a blade from the sleeve is of a genuine tuck of Polsilvers: the open loop of the '5', the striaght tail of the 'y' and the correct printing on the blade.

Notably, the first shot is slightly out of focus, and lacks all of the detail of the second.

No "accident" here. Caveat emptor.

Now I understand why the Polsilvers I have are so terrible. Dull, tuggy, rough. It is a tuck that was added (by the seller) to a recent knot purchase. I thought it was a nice gesture, but the blades are no good.

It's a real shame these are floating around in the community. And it is infuriating that some people are deliberately passing them off as the originals for profit. :(

One of the reasons I am updating this thread is to try and ensure that as many people as possible are aware of this, and how to identify the bogus blades. Hopefully, fewer people will get stung.

Now I understand why the Polsilvers I have are so terrible. Dull, tuggy, rough. It is a tuck that was added (by the seller) to a recent knot purchase. I thought it was a nice gesture, but the blades are no good.

I feel your pain, I fell into the exact same situation. Nice gesture, but basically worthless. Maybe they didn't know....I give the benefit of the doubt.

When I and a few others went upstairs and proved that these blades were fake, there were some who did not want to believe that they had hundreds of fake blades in the closet! Unfortunately this is true, those blades are fake, they are sold on Aliex like Chinese blades, without fake labels. They are not very bad blades but they are far from the legendary Super Iridium.

Last edited:
Other than Polsilver what other brands are they knocking off. It is unbelievable what niche items they are knocking off it is out of control. They are even knocking off pocket knives. Crazy!

Top Bottom