What's new

Review: Fake Polsilver SI vs The Real Thing

Recently I purchased 100 Polsilver Super Iridiums. It was quickly pointed out to me when I posted in the Latest 100 Blade Purchase thread that these blades were more than likely cheap Chinese knock-offs. Disappointed, but undeterred, I decided to see for myself. Today I loaded one into my razor, and planned to shave the right side of my face with the Fake, and then the left half with a real Polsilver, to see if there was in fact a noticeable difference.

To try and ensure there was as little variability as possible, I used my favourite razor, a Gillette Slim, set to the median setting for me (5), same soap, brush, prep, etc as I have been using for the last week. Not scientific, but close enough to satisfy my own curiosity.

I should mention that I went in to this quite optimistic. Most blades agree with me: I don't consider myself all that fussy, so I figured "I have a hundy of these, how bad can they be?"

I lasted most of the right side for the first pass... This blade was awful. Dull (tuggy and scratchy), and more like scraping paint that shaving stubble. Rather than tough it out for science, I capitulated like the fool-to-myself that I am and loaded the real Polsilver. It was night and day, reader! Smooth, easy gliding across the planes of my face.

When I got to the second pass, the right side of my face was noticeably louder: there was still quite a lot of stubble to cut, whereas on the left, it mostly felt like I was just removing lather (as is typically the case for pass 2).

So, there you have it. These blades are, certainly from the outside, cunningly close to the real thing. The tell is the font, especially the 'y' in Zyletek. Once opened, it will be obvious that you are dealing with a counterfeit: no Super Iridium, terrible printing, and an entirely obviously different font.

full

So, much as it saddens me, the other 99 of these blades will now join their compatriot in the bin...

I felt so bad in the latest 100 blade thread when I saw your original post that I couldn't bring myself to even mention that they might be fake. I was around for most of the original thread on these so I kind of had a sinking feeling. I managed to find some real ones to try, but there is currently some 100 packs on the bay that make me nervous. 😬

It was only recently that somebody mentioned that there are fake Rapiras all over Russia that I realised just how common making fakes of everything is. I was trying to figure out the rational from an profit motive point of view and hadn't understood that it is just a modis operandi. The fakes apparently are in the supply chain, it's not some sinister conspiracy like the case with these US resellers trying not to lose their shorts when confronted about selling fakes...

Thanks for the review of fake versus actual Polsilvers. I hope you do a shave off comparison of the real Polsilver versus the Wizamet Super Iridium. I would be curious for your opinion. IMHO, the Wizamets shave very close to the original Polsilvers. Many people have claimed they are made in the same factory, and are actually Polsilver's with a name change. I purchased the fakes from a respected US vendor, and have found them to be one shave "acceptable", but not even close to the original Polsilver blades for smoothness, sharpness and longevity.

lasta

Blade Biter
I feel you man.

Been living in China for the past 6 years. Bought fake Wizamets, Minoras, Bics and maybe fake Rapiras...all in 100 packs too!

Recently someone sent me a freebie pack of Nacets with a razor purchase. Package is done perfectly, down to a barely noticeable uncut corner. Guess what came out of it:

Image_20220123015316.jpg

Image_20220123015325.jpg

I'd love to. I've been waiting since the end of November for the Wizamets I ordered to arrive! Once I am finally in possession fo some, I'll do a comparison of the Polsilver SIs, Wizamet SIs and the OG Polsilver Stainless.

*Polsilver SIs (Russia), Wizamet Iridium Super (Russia), OG Wizamet Iridium Super (Poland), and OG Wizamet Polsilver Stainless. Also, at one point or the other, the SIs were sold by Wizamet (Poland) as Polsilver Super Iridium, Iridium, Iridium Polsilver & Super Iridium.

R5n8DLW.jpg

proxy.php

Images source: zennhorst, The Shavenook

Last edited:
Thanks for the review of fake versus actual Polsilvers. I hope you do a shave off comparison of the real Polsilver versus the Wizamet Super Iridium. I would be curious for your opinion. IMHO, the Wizamets shave very close to the original Polsilvers. Many people have claimed they are made in the same factory, and are actually Polsilver's with a name change. I purchased the fakes from a respected US vendor, and have found them to be one shave "acceptable", but not even close to the original Polsilver blades for smoothness, sharpness and longevity.
I find the Polsilver SI and the Wizamet SI to be very similar but I have a preference for the Wizamet. To me the Wizamet is slightly smoother and is good for a couple of more shaves than the Polsilver SI. The difference was enough that I sold 400 Polsilver SI blades and bought 500 Wizamet blades and had some money left over. YMMV

The Eye Test. The Old Timer (Polsilver SI) VS The Young Whippersnapper (Wizamet SI)

I had a similar experience a little over a year ago importing Gillette Rubies from the Philippines. 700 blades and the cost of a freight forwarder was a lot of $$$ down the drain nearly $400.

OOF! That's brutal.

Perhaps these rip-off blades should be documented, with photos, on a wiki page so people have a single resource they can refer to prior to a puchase?

It could also, sadly, be updated as more of these come to light.

@dmshaver what do you think?

Last edited:
I've got a several hundred of these counterfeits. :blush: If anyone would like to try them, I'm happy send as many as you'd like. They're not horrible, but they're well below the standard of real Polsilver SIs. PM me if you're interested - otherwise I'll bin them next week.

I've got a several hundred of these counterfeits. :blush: If anyone would like to try them, I'm happy send as many as you'd like. They're not horrible, but they're well below the standard of real Polsilver SIs. PM me if you're interested - otherwise I'll bin them next week.
I hope @South Dakota Guy is able to get some so we can see how they look under the microscope. That would put a nice cap on this whole saga.

Top Bottom