What's new

*Review* D.R. Harris Pink Aftershave

Ahhh…. D.R. Harris – the bastard child of English toiletries. D.R. Harris is not a brand you’ll see at your local yuppie market with a cool name, snazzy packaging, lofty promises it cannot back up. D.R. Harris, although seldom spoken of in depth on forums, seldom reviewed/photographed at length, etc – makes just about the best damn products available… albeit at a lofty financial penance. At least for me…. D.R. Harris is not so much an offering of “products” so much as it is an offering of “experiences.” Whether you like them or not – ALL D.R. Harris products just have this special “feel,” scent, look – that just eloquently says “class, quality, distinction….something truly special.” Like an Aston Martin… it just has that tremendously distinct British presence.

The drab white box this product is packaged in sports a distinct “D.R. Harris” sticker/logo proudly bragging of its contents
full

Flip the box and you are rewarded with a small history lesson, a list of ingredients, and a signature.
full

Now… the magic begins… open the top of the box, and you are instantly struck with the feeling of knowing you are about to experience something truly great. You are greeted with the cool, relaxed refraction of pink against the white packaging… hmmm weird stuff.
full

Pull the bottle from the box and the light pink product looks so sophistically elegant. I love these bottles.
full

full

Twist off the cap, push your nose up against the splash top… and be still my heart… one of THE most incredible rose scents almost knocks you dead. Not that it is particularly strong – as it is a very light scent, that fades quite quickly… but good gracious is it a truly amazing rose scent. I’ll be the first to step up and say I enjoy rose scented products… but I do not get overly worked up about them… D.R. Harris Pink smells orgasmic. I do declare this aftershave, coupled with a shot or two of Penhaligons Hammam Boquet is the most relaxing, pleasant and enjoyable olfactory journey I have ever experienced. Cloud nine my friends.
full

Ok ok ok… so how does it work? Eh – alright. Ok - let me qualify – it does sooth the skin, it does add a touch of moisture, it does tone, and it does reduce irritation and qwell razor burn. Function wise – is it anything incredible? In my opinion… no. I do personally prefer it (efficacy wise) to Trumpers Skinfood and I feel it is superior, however in terms of soothing, moisturizing, and repairing, in my opinion it is not in the running with CAR A/S moisture Cream, Proraso Pre/Post, etc. It is also quite pricey stuff… and is NOT a good value.

Overall – I really enjoy this product. I really like “splash” products, I really like how it does not contain alcohol, ergo no burn, it smells great, and works well. I could/would use this on a daily basis, it is that pleasant. When this bottle runs out… I will buy a 500ml bottle.

Rating Scale – Each Quality from 0-2 (2 being best)

Price – 0
Quality – 2
Scent – 2
Efficacy – 1
Lack of burn – 2

Total – 7 out of 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting review..."not a good value"..."I could/would use this on a daily basis, it is that pleasant. When this bottle runs out… I will buy a 500ml bottle."

Yep, spoken by a man bit bad by the shave bug!

Thanks for the review!

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Interesting review..."not a good value"..."I could/would use this on a daily basis, it is that pleasant. When this bottle runs out… I will buy a 500ml bottle."

Yep, spoken by a man bit bad by the shave bug!

Thanks for the review!

Randy

Randy,
At $35 for 100ml... it is not a good value. The 500ml can be had for around $80, so when you figure you can get 5X more product for about 2X the $, the 500ml provides a pretty good value. 500ml of Harris Pink will go a VERY long way, and $80 for how incredibly long 500ml will last, is not unreasonable. Although I still don't think it offers a "good value" - the 500ml bottle makes it an acceptable value - which given the ease of use, and wonderful experience of this product - I find it enticing enough to purchase.:biggrin:

joel said:
Randy,
At $35 for 100ml... it is not a good value. The 500ml can be had for around $80, so when you figure you can get 5X more product for about 2X the $, the 500ml provides a pretty good value. 500ml of Harris Pink will go a VERY long way, and $80 for how incredibly long 500ml will last, is not unreasonable. Although I still don't think it offers a "good value" - the 500ml bottle makes it an acceptable value - which given the ease of use, and wonderful experience of this product - I find it enticing enough to purchase.:biggrin:
I am glad to see you clarified that Joel. I find that as a rule of thumb, it is probably best to look to the GIANT HOME ECONOMY SIZE for most products that you are comtemplating for everyday use..

Joel:

Nice review and I agree with your assessment of D R Harris products. I do believe their hard soaps would be the absolute top of my list. There pink ASB as well as the milk are top notch. Are the aftershaves my favorites...well, they're up there but maybe not the very top. Like you, I find they do a nice job and will certainly repurchase when I run out.

Jerry

Thanks for the review, Joel. The Pink is on my list of things to try now. I also adore the Milk, and it has become my go-to aftershave product since I got it.

When joel says it has a touch of moisturizing he is absolutely correct so any one with dry skin who would like to try it out be prepared to top it with a moisturizer.

Nice review, Joel. I have a cologne from DR Harris, Arlington. I never gave a review of it, but I will soon. I love it.

Jeff

Joel,

Glad to see the review of Pink, one of my favorites. However, I should point out that the product does contain alcohol, 16.89% by volume. As you point out, it does not sting, because the percentage is actually quite low.

Ken

guenron said:
I am glad to see you clarified that Joel. I find that as a rule of thumb, it is probably best to look to the GIANT HOME ECONOMY SIZE for most products that you are comtemplating for everyday use..

I agree with this idea !!!! That's why I bought the 55 gallon drum of green mask !!!!

just a little more $$$ and I got a "ton" of mask...

mark tssb

Top Bottom