What's new

REVIEW - CAR A/S Moisture Cream (Peppermint)

This little "pod" of aftershave moisture cream is really quite a gem. Its humble appearance mask its true greatness.

full

full

Twist off the cap, and before you even get a chance to process the appearance of the product - you are hit by a wall of peppermint scent.

full

Now... this stuff not only IMMEDIATLY kick razor irritation and soothes the skin, but it has an INTENSE cooling sensation - almost as if you have plunged your face in ice water. Not only does this product kick razor burn and irritation in the pants... but it moisturizes the hell out of your face - I mean SERIOUSLY moisturizes deep down - yet NEVER leaves your face oily or "filmy" - so this can be used even by those with oily skin. To use this product, you basically wet your face, with water or tonic/hydrosol, then apply a very, very small dab of this to your face, and proceed to massage this all over your face (forehead, nose the works) and neck. Use this product for one week... and you'll notice clearer, softer, and healthier skin. In my opinion this product is the best of the best - as far as aftershaves and moisture creams go.

full

At $35 for 2oz, this product may not seem like a good deal - but when you consider how little of this product you need/use, one small jar will go a long... long way. I think I could get 1 year out of this jar.

Rating Scale – Each Quality from 0-2 (2 being best)

Price – 2
Ability to Reduce Razor Burn/Irritaiton – 2
Cooling Sensation– 2
Efficacy – 2
Moisturizing properties – 2

Total – EGAD! 10 out of 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on, Joel -

I agree. My jar is 11 months old now and I still have a LOT left (at least 1/4 of the jar).

The biggest problem is making sure you don't use too much.

The price and all the elevated language and pomp surrounding CAR's products has put me off. Thanks to Joel's review, this is another product I'll put under serious consideration. I'd already heard good things, but I needed it spelled out as you get so little for the price. Everyone else's anecdote about how long it lasts definitely helped convince me.

rtaylor61 said:
Has anyone used the unscented version? How does it compare?

Randy

Randy - I haven't used the unscented version, but in conversation with Charles Roberts, he once mentioned the only difference between the A/S' are the scents - save for the peppermint which provides a cooling effect. From that - I would assume the unscented version is identical - sans the cooling effect and scent. For what it is worth - the scent is not long lasted, so it shouldn't mix or interfere with whatever EDT you are wearing. :biggrin:

I have been using this magnificent product now for (at least) ten months and there is still scads left - AND I've been using it for T&C's if I feel anything left after the shave is over. You just use a dab, this IS great stuff I don't use anything else. It maybe the best of CAR's products.

Cliff

It's great to see these glowing reviews, but $8 for shipping for a 2oz jar of a/s/b ?:eek: I'm sure it's a no brainer to those who have used this product and love it, but the way the shipping prices from Enchante are staged, I just don't get it. I suppose it's good for those first time orders where people buy into the method shaving gig and spend upwards of $200, but what about product replacements? I'm not making this a rant, but I do think the way the shipping is calculated around the $$ seems excessive.

I can't justify a number of the costs from Enchante, shipping being one of them. Fortunately for me, I've bundled my orders to feel as if I'm getting my monies worth of shipping.

Slightly off topic, but look at the cost of the tonic (which I use with the cream). $15 for a 4 oz. bottle, $12 for an 8 oz. refill. The only difference is a $2.50 glass bottle. Double the quantity for a lower price. Go figure.

Regardless of the pricing strategy, still like the products.

I honestly have no idea how much I pay for shipping when I order through enchante but the peppermint asb is the only a/s I use even when it comes to a facial moisturizer.....except for the winter months.

atnight said:
The price and all the elevated language and pomp surrounding CAR's products has put me off. Thanks to Joel's review, this is another product I'll put under serious consideration. I'd already heard good things, but I needed it spelled out as you get so little for the price. Everyone else's anecdote about how long it lasts definitely helped convince me.
Bill,

I agree with you on all counts (including the shipping issue). There definitely seems to be a hefty margin, and I know the only reason Ron hasn't posted in this thread is because if he did, it would just be an explosion of insults. :biggrin:

Buuuuuut, this stuff does get some amazing reviews. I keep trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger on this stuff as I am a trollop for mint.

Thanks for the review Joel (et al).

-Nick

Nick said:
Bill,

I agree with you on all counts (including the shipping issue). There definitely seems to be a hefty margin, and I know the only reason Ron hasn't posted in this thread is because if he did, it would just be an explosion of insults. :biggrin:

Buuuuuut, this stuff does get some amazing reviews. I keep trying to talk myself into pulling the trigger on this stuff as I am a trollop for mint.

Thanks for the review Joel (et al).

-Nick

Cool- thanks, Nick (I think).:wink:
Glad to know I'm not alone and that it was clear I wasn't trying to stir up controversy. Mint is also pretty much a given for me (especially in A/S!), but there are limits, I guess is the best way to say it. I was finally going to pull the trigger after reading Joel's review and then saw shipping costs...

Trying to be a reasonable man with indulgent interests,

bill

Nice review Joel. Funny, I just got some Hydrolast Peppermint ASB yesterday. This is my second jar of Hydrolast ASB ... I think it's great -
before the Peppermint I had the Lime & Green Tea - awesome Lime scent -
a very straight up lime essense. You don't really get any "tea" essence in this one, just Lime. The Lime/Green Tea & Grapefruit are PERFECT for Summertime.

If you like Peppermint, this is a mega-dose of Peppermint. You definately get the cooling effect upon application. Everyone's assesment is correct - a little goes a long way indeed. A jar will easily last a year if used correctly. I'm not a Method shaver but I do enjoy the Hydrolast Moisturizing A/S Cream ... better than anything else I've tried so far ... and I'm picky about after shave treatments. I've also smelled the Sandalwood A/S cream and it definately smells like Sandalwood .... a very strong "wood" note. Almost as if you were smelling lumber at Home Depot. Ok, that was a strange comparison ... but that's what comes to mind when I smell the Sandalwood A/S. It's pleasant though.

I just started using the Green Tea & Lime last week, and the results have been dramatic. My skin is very pleasantly soft and conditioned. My complexion has improved. I pair it with a dab of Skin Food massaged in with moist fingertips after the CAR dries and I find my face to be not only soft and smooth for an entire 24 hour period but it also seems to allow my beard to hydrate more easily/quickly when I'm ready for my next shave. Very, very impressive stuff.

--Mark

After fifteen months, I just opened my second jar of the peppermint. By the way, it's now called "CONDITIONER" instead of "Moisturizing After Shave Cream". I emailed Charles when I first saw this new label just to make sure that I haven't received hair conditioner instead. :eek: He told me that he changed the name to more fit the Hydrolast line but the mixture is exactly the same.

Cliff

I've been using the Lime/Green Tea with Frankincense Tonic and have been very impressed. My neck is the most noticeably improved area.

Kyle

Has anyone been able to compare/contrast this product to one of the creams Em's Place sells(notably the exotic butter)? I am trying to decide on a moisturizer myself, but $43(after shipping) for the CAR seems a little crazy.

Has anyone had any experience with moisturizers they feel are up in that category and a little more economical?

ketan889 said:
Has anyone been able to compare/contrast this product to one of the creams Em's Place sells(notably the exotic butter)? I am trying to decide on a moisturizer myself, but $43(after shipping) for the CAR seems a little crazy.

Has anyone had any experience with moisturizers they feel are up in that category and a little more economical?
SWMBO and I use Em's Exotic Butter Cream as lip moisturizer and it's great. Haven't tried it on my face and probably won't, the CAR cream is THAT good, won't use anything else (I've been disappointed too much in the past).

Cliff

Top Bottom