What's new

Review: Captain's Choice Nor'Easter

I was lucky enough to win a bottle of Nor'Easter in the Halloween contest run by @Captain Pre-Capsize

Thank you Captain!

First thing I did when I received the bottle was to simply splash a little on. No shave, was just curious about the scent and feel.

A feeling was immediately evoked. It smelled like my Dad! EXACTLY like my dad. Whatever aftershave he used in the 1980s, this is a dead ringer. At least a dead ringer of my memory of whatever he used.

Isn't it amazing how scents can trigger things like this? I was a kid in the 80s. This scent brought me back.

My Dad is nearing 80 now. I asked him what his favorite aftershave was back then. He couldn't recall. I do remember him using Royal Copenhagen and Old Spice, so it could be one of those. I don't recall anything else. I don't have a bottle of either handy, but I may need to find a bottle of Royal Copenhagen just to compare. I suspect it's that since I remember that being around the most and I've used Old Spice and don't equate it with my Dad.

As for the Nor'Easter itself, it has a little musk, some spice, the menthol. It smells quite good. The feel is just a bit of menthol. Not a frigid super-chill, but it's definitely present and shows up maybe 15 seconds after splashing it on. I may actually add a crystal to strengthen the cooling as I like loads of menthol. As it is, it's nicely balanced and the cooling disappears after 5-10 minutes or so on my skin. It has a nice toning feel like all of the Captain's aftershaves and doesn't dry me out.

It's a quality product and looks good next to my bottles of Captain's Choice Bay Rum and Venture!

It smells to me like being in the driveway here in the northeast running the snowblower. I get this cold almost exhaust type smell. I didn’t care for it

I find the Nor'Easter is a good contrast to the Captain's Venture aftershave.

I have not had the pleasure of using Creed Aventus, but I do have a bottle of Afnan Supremacy which is considered to be one of the closest clones. Venture is obviously an homage in the same vein.

While Venture is a modern fragrance, the Nor'Easter is old school. I enjoy having both on the shelf as they are very different and both good scents. I've used the Captains Choice Bay Rum, North, Venture, and now the Nor'Easter. I'd repeat buy them all except for North which smells like Gin. I like Gin, but in a Gimlet, not on my face.

I think I will add a crystal of menthol to the Nor'Easter to make it more of a menthol bomb. I'll report back!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The Captain makes fantastic products. I like the ones that I have been able to buy. The only problem is that with International Shipping restrictions I can’t get some of them sent to Australia. By the way, thanks for your review.

Top Bottom