What's new

Review: Body Shop Maca Root shave cream.

During one of The Body Shop's many sales (buy 1 get 50% off 2nd; buy 2 get 1 free; and buy 3 get 3 free) I ended up with the Maca Root face wash, shave cream, and the Arber aftershave balm.

Even though it had been only two days since my last shave (which was pretty rough I'll add), I succumbed and thought I'd go really gently and pull off an amazing shave with my new found confidence in a new product (sort of like new golf clubs make your game better). It's a psychological thing. My absolute maximum shaving frequency is every 48 hours, and every two weeks I need to give it an additional day or two for my face to settle down again.

So yes, it was a risky proposition to start with being only 48 hours from a rough experience and using a new product. The reviews I'd read about the Maca Root shave cream rated it quite highly, hence the acquisition.

Well, using my normal routine and a 3 times used blade - Merkur 23C and Merkur blade - I proceeded.

Preparation:
I ended up using an excessive amount of cream, so my little bowl filled up really quickly. I added loads more water and kept mixing it in, and the cream happily accepted it. It almost seems slightly sticky, but it isn't actually (one gets these images of mixing treacle, molasses, and tree sap from some of the other descriptions). Because I used excessive product, whilst lathering up it volumised on my face, so I can imagine this being a great product for face-latherers.

Scent:
My wife loves the scent. I like it a lot. I describe it as sort of exotic and woodsy, but fresh. Reminds me a lot of aloe, greenery, and South American rainforests. It's a noticeable fragrance when mixing it up and applying it, but it isn't overpowering. The residual fragrance is pleasant - not soapy or perfumey. No reactions or stinging and so on and so forth.

During the shave:
The lather is rich and cushions well. This cream also holds moisture really well, so it didn't dry out on my face like some of the others I use. Just before the old high horse comes out I would like to add that I take my time shaving, so a cream that holds its moisture well makes a difference. The razor glided really well and didn't catch my skin in any places at all. Sometimes a lather will not have that slightly lubricating property that is desired, and that's when the head of the razor grabs my skin and it chatters. One needs a slightly "oiled" feel in the lather to prevent this chattering. This cream provided that in abundance for me. I held the razor at the tip of the handle between my fingertips, and let the weight of the razor do its job while focusing on blade angle. I did three full passes and performed some gentle touch ups to trouble spots. The key is I wasn't going for BBS because of the tender state my face was in. This cream is good for buffing because of its lubricating properties.

Clean up:
Some extra work is involved in the cleanup. I found I needed some extra rinsing to remove excess product off my face. This is the only point of mild contention I have with it. It's important to get this residual cream off my face as it may interfere with AS or ASB I use after. The product came out of my brush easily - my technique for brush rinsing is to fill my bowl and hold it under warm running water while slowly pumping my brush in the water for a while, following which I rinse the brush under the water directly. There was no residue or stickiness on the brush.

Post shave:
Great. No nicks, cuts, or any red lights at all. Nothing. I expected worse based on the risks I was taking with a tender face, but the cream and some care shaved the day. My face was smooth, tenderness free, and not sticky or tacky from the cream - proper rinsing is the key here.

Bottom line:
I am more than happy to keep The Body Shop Maca Root shave cream on my shelf at all times, and even use it slgihtly more frequently than some of my other creams.

It is a very good shaving cream, and their Maca Root after shaving balm is also very very good. I use them all the time.

How does the smell of the shave creme work with the aftershave balm?
Are the the same fragrance?

I have both, and I don't think they're quite the same but very close. The scent of each fades quickly, so neither will interfere with any other fragrance you want to wear.

I really like TBS Maca Root shave cream. However, I prefer the scent of its poorer brother, Real Shaving Company Moisturising Shave Cream. Both are made by Creighton's and (for me) perform nearly the same. While the scent of the Maca Root is pretty mild and inoffensive (very clean) I prefer the richer scent of the Real Shaving Company's cream -- and it's cheaper.

Ive tried a couple samples of this cream and it lathers great and performs very well. I just am not a huge fan of the scent. However las it has been said the scent fades very quickly. Its also readily available here in Canada which is nice as well.

Great review on a very good cream

Had another shave with it and the results were just as good. I do love the fragrance - it's very metropolitan and earthy/green.

So far this is the one cream I have right now (I know, I know!)

A good performer (I have sampled others), while I'm not disgusted by the scent it sure doesn't pop out at me either. Very mild, a little too soapy/ fresh for me in this case.

Hi

I purchased the cream, 200 ml, yesterday in Mumbai. The price as per current forex is US$ 16.65

The texture is quite good; however the smell is not "traditional" and more ... metrosexual. Tried the cream in the morning with Omega boar brush, Gillette Wilkinson blade (with which I have had four shaves; each a three pass shave), Feather popular razor.

The cream lathers quite well and provides an excellent cushion as compared to other cheaper creams from Axe and Park Avenue (typically US$ 1.5 per 70 ml). I couldn't feel the blade glide and the first shave itself gave a great reduction. The second and third passes were more or less just cleaning up acts. The alum block too seemed to agree with the cream rather well.

I did have a small issue however, which I will try to rectify tomorrow if possible. It did seem that the cream didn't foam well in the second and third application (I lather on the face) and I had to add more cream to get a decent foam.

The cream will be part of my regular rotation, however I believe the real justice to the cream will be on a heavy monday morning beard where the cushion will really helpful.

Not sure it is my favorite by any means but it is great stuff. The fact that it is easy to find makes it even better.

This is one of my favorites and a go to of mine. Great smell, great lather, great shave. Helps that it is so readily available as well.

Funny I found this thread so easily, I just picked this cream up today on sale at the body shop and based on the reviews I can't wait to try it tomorrow.

I tried this cream today, and wow.....slick as snot, a nice scent, it performed as well as my TOBS grapefruit, definatly going in my rotation.

Top Bottom