What's new

Review : Body Shop Maca Root and Aloe Cream

I was over with the SO at bodyshop yesterday and she insisted that i feed my obsession with new shaving products with the Maca Root and Aloe Cream. Naturally i caved.

Now i’ve seen this shaving cream at Body Shop and i’ve always been a little apprehensive about it. I didn’t expect all that much when i tried it today.

My experience was Okay. Nothing mindblowing. It lathers fine. The slickness is there. The scent is excellent - very fresh and somewhat floral, which i enjoy. I’ve read reviews here that some people felt their faces burning afterwards but I didn’t feel any of that.

FYI - It’s not exactly a cheap cream. $18 is a generous amount for a shaving cream in my opinion, even though they last long if you keep it in rotation. I used my wife’s bodyshop discount so i got 40% on it, so sign up for it if you want to save a few bucks!

All in all, i think i’ll keep this one in my weekly rotation, but it might not be a cream i’ll buy again when it eventually runs out.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am struggling to get good slickness out of this, but then I am still learning how to lather. I like the smell. A little artificial yet fresh, like one of those “ocean” scented deodorants.

I got a tub in a trade and I like it quite a bit. It has a lovely scent and the lather was fantastic with my cashmere synthetic brush.

I love the old TBS cream way more. But the new stuff isn't bad either. I've been scouring TJ Maxx and Marshall's to see if there are any old stock TBS creams for me to pick up.

Decent enough performance for me, but I don't think I would buy it again, just too many creams out there that I want to try. The Castle Forbes and Art of Shaving creams are hard to beat in my opinion. I even thing they perform better than Truefitt and Hill creams for me.

Thanks for the review.

The maca root shaving cream seems to be pretty well regarded on here. Most people seem to be impressed by it's performance but the scent can be a bit more divisive. I use it regularly and, whilst the scent is very so-so to me, I'm amongst those who find it performs excellently.

That said, I agree the previous incarnation was a tad better.

In the UK it retails for £9, which is not bad when you think you're getting 200ml for your money vs 150ml of TOBS creams for around £10-14 usually.

I picked up this cream today from a post-Christmas discount bin, bundled by the Body Shop as a gift pack with a shave brush and a pocket square (what???). I've used the old Maca Root cream and liked it and was curious about the addition of aloe. Fourteen dollars with a nice looking wooden-handled synth brush, couldn't pass it up.

I picked up this cream today from a post-Christmas discount bin, bundled by the Body Shop as a gift pack with a shave brush and a pocket square (what???). I've used the old Maca Root cream and liked it and was curious about the addition of aloe. Fourteen dollars with a nice looking wooden-handled synth brush, couldn't pass it up.

The old version also had Aloe in it but in a different form.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Good stuff; I use it often. Get on the TBS mailing list, though. They have frequent sales, often dropping the price to about $8 or $9.

This stuff is SLICK, I might have overloaded but it's great. I have been using the top tier soaps this past month and this is as good or better than most..... The scent....clean, weak (I am fine w that).

Slickness is Ok nothing fancy. The scent is clean and weak I agree. good cream to use with Badger brush and specially with low backbones ones. Longer lofted and low backboned brushes (like Kent BLK 4) matching perfectly with this cream. But I will not chase either when mine runs out.

Top Bottom