What's new

REVIEW: Above The Tie SSRH2 Open Comb

Following on from my previous review of the Windsor SSMR and SSRH plates from Above The Tie, I recently got the SSRH2, in the brushed finish.

The original SSMR/SSRH review:

The SSRH2 has the same blade gap as the SSRH, I.e. 0.80mm and is the open comb version.

As expected from ATT, the quality workmanship is evident instantly! It's fit and finish is all perfect.
ATT is one of those razor companies that manage to get it right every time! I don't think I've ever read any reports of defects or QC issues.

The brushed finish is gorgeous. It doesn't have heavy or evident machining marks. It's a very subtle brushed finish that looks "industrially elegant". This may be my favorite finish from ATT, although their satin is definitely gorgeous!

The SSRH2 base plate itself is an open comb that offers increased efficiency compared to its safety bar counterpart.

I'm generally not the biggest user of open combs but this one is surprisingly smooth. I couldn't feel the teeth and it didn't cause any skin irritation.

The blade is held super rigid, which is a common factor across the range of the Windsor model.
There is no blade chatter, which makes the razor super smooth on the skin and really diminishes the impact of the open comb.

The blade feel is present, so you know where the blade is and what it's doing, however, it's a very smooth blade feel due to the absence of blade chatter. I love this type of non-menacing blade feel. It's a safe feeling but gives a nice blade presence.

Overall, it's a smooth and efficient razor. The efficiency was similar to the (now discontinued) SSH1 0.91mm base plate. Making the SSRH2 the most efficient option amongst the Windsor range.

IMG_20220308_170808~(1).jpg

IMG_20220308_170833~(1).jpg

IMG_20220308_170840~(1).jpg

IMG_20220308_170852~(1).jpg

IMG_20220308_170900~(1).jpg

IMG_20220308_170913~(1).jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Following on from my previous review of the Windsor SSMR and SSRH plates from Above The Tie, I recently got the SSRH2, in the brushed finish.

The original SSMR/SSRH review:

The SSRH2 has the same blade gap as the SSRH, I.e. 0.80mm and is the open comb version.

As expected from ATT, the quality workmanship is evident instantly! It's fit and finish is all perfect.
ATT is one of those razor companies that manage to get it right every time! I don't think I've ever read any reports of defects or QC issues.

The brushed finish is gorgeous. It doesn't have heavy or evident machining marks. It's a very subtle brushed finish that looks "industrially elegant". This may be my favorite finish from ATT, although their satin is definitely gorgeous!

The SSRH2 base plate itself is an open comb that offers increased efficiency compared to its safety bar counterpart.

I'm generally not the biggest user of open combs but this one is surprisingly smooth. I couldn't feel the teeth and it didn't cause any skin irritation.

The blade is held super rigid, which is a common factor across the range of the Windsor model.
There is no blade chatter, which makes the razor super smooth on the skin and really diminishes the impact of the open comb.

The blade feel is present, so you know where the blade is and what it's doing, however, it's a very smooth blade feel due to the absence of blade chatter. I love this type of non-menacing blade feel. It's a safe feeling but gives a nice blade presence.

Overall, it's a smooth and efficient razor. The efficiency was similar to the (now discontinued) SSH1 0.91mm base plate. Making the SSRH2 the most efficient option amongst the Windsor range.

View attachment 1461788

View attachment 1461790

View attachment 1461791

View attachment 1461792

View attachment 1461794

View attachment 1461795

Great review, thanks for sharing!

It will be interesting to hear your long term finalized review once you've tried many different blades in this thing, and tried many different shave soaps. When it came to my Merkur Futur, my opinions changed a bit, after I had used it for a solid week of shaves.

I recently purchased another high end razor that is also made in the USA, a Timeless Titanium, so I can't wait to try that out. We seem to enjoy high end stuff. I also have a Rex Ambassador, which is another razor made in the USA too, its high end, 316L solid stainless steel adjustable, but I find it doesn't provide me the smoothest shave. This is why I ordered the TT.

Nice razor. I have the solid bar and really like it. Don't think I'll venture into the OC territory as I generally don't like them. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Reactions: nav
Thanks for the review. Just shaved today with my ATT S2 open comb slant. Great razor with a similar handle. You’re right the quality is spot on. Love that handle. Enjoy your new razor.

Great review, thanks for sharing!

It will be interesting to hear your long term finalized review once you've tried many different blades in this thing, and tried many different shave soaps. When it came to my Merkur Futur, my opinions changed a bit, after I had used it for a solid week of shaves.

I recently purchased another high end razor that is also made in the USA, a Timeless Titanium, so I can't wait to try that out. We seem to enjoy high end stuff. I also have a Rex Ambassador, which is another razor made in the USA too, its high end, 316L solid stainless steel adjustable, but I find it doesn't provide me the smoothest shave. This is why I ordered the TT.

I only use Wizamet and BIC blades as these are the sharpest blades along with great smoothness.

I finished my blade trials a while back and settled on polsilver/Wizamet but about a year ago, the BIC chrome platinum blew me away! This is my go-to blade.

I've used the razor several times and it's very smooth, especially for an open comb. Great efficiency and easy on the skin.
A really wonderfully designed razor!

Nice razor. I have the solid bar and really like it. Don't think I'll venture into the OC territory as I generally don't like them. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Thanks mate!

I can understand. I'm not a open comb guy but this has taken me by surprise.
It feels so smooth, no "rake" feeling on the skin.

Excellent review!
I ordered the ATT Windsor closed comb in the Brushed Matte finish and the SSRH head with the Kronos handle. I'll be getting it today and am looking forward to using it.
Too many good things said about Above the Tie!
I had posted previously that one of my reasons for ordering was that fact. I have read zero complaints about them and love the fact that they were one of the first USA made modern artisan razor makers.
Your review has reaffirmed my decision!

Excellent review!
I ordered the ATT Windsor closed comb in the Brushed Matte finish and the SSRH head with the Kronos handle. I'll be getting it today and am looking forward to using it.
Too many good things said about Above the Tie!
I had posted previously that one of my reasons for ordering was that fact. I have read zero complaints about them and love the fact that they were one of the first USA made modern artisan razor makers.
Your review has reaffirmed my decision!

Wow great!!
I'll sure you'll love it. The SSRH is one of the most well balanced razors I've ever used.
Excellent efficiency coupled with ultra smoothness.

Bump:
1.5 months later!
My Windsor SSRH is my favorite razor out of all my razors. I can't find any flaws!
I've since then bought 2 more ATT's, an aluminum/stainless that I pieced together with both SB & OC baseplates and the Windsor Pro aluminum (Windsor pro and aluminum OC baseplate arrived today).
I wholeheartedly recommend ATT to anyone considering one.
LRod

Anyone have an idea how it compares to a Fatip open comb? (Not talking about finish, just shaving result!)

The fatip is fairly efficient, but I found the ATT SSRH open comb slightly more efficient and way smoother!

It was so comfy that I hardly felt the blade, despite being an open comb.

Tolerances and craftsmanship are totally opposite ends of the spectrum. Given the price difference, this is to be expected.

The fatip is fairly efficient, but I found the ATT SSRH open comb slightly more efficient and way smoother!

It was so comfy that I hardly felt the blade, despite being an open comb.

Tolerances and craftsmanship are totally opposite ends of the spectrum. Given the price difference, this is to be expected.
Good to hear! Let me get one and try it out!

Reactions: nav
Top Bottom