What's new

Review: Above The Tie - new Windsor Base Plates (Polished Finish)

So ATT aren’t just adding the SSMR and SSRH plates in addition to the M,R,H plates, but are phasing out the 3 plates mentioned?

That's correct. They are phasing out the M, R, H plates and streamlining to just the SSMR and SSRH.

I just read in one of the ATT threads that it is slightly more efficient with the classic top cap than the Windsor or Windsor Pro top cap.

That wasn't my experience.
The classic reveals a lot of blade so the blade chatter is high. This doesn't equate to higher efficiency.

The Windsor prevents chatter so one gets efficiency plus comfort.

I agree with their move to discontinue the classic line.

The classic reveals a lot of blade so the blade chatter is high. This doesn't equate to higher efficiency.

It was a response from @never-stop-learning in post #143 in That Windsor Feeling thread where he first mentions the efficiency of the Classic cap on the copper Windsor plates. It was actually you that was going back and forth with him starting in post #173 where he responded to a comment of yours about the Windsor being more efficient than the Karve. It was in post #178 when he mentioned the classic top cap in his opinion was more efficient than with the Windsor cap. To paraphrase him, the Copper CH1 with the Windsor cap was in his “running with the big dogs“ rotation, whereas the copper CH1 with the classic cap jumped up into his top tier “big dogs” rotation. If he has both to directly compare with each other I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

It was a response from @never-stop-learning in post #143 in That Windsor Feeling thread. It was actually you that was going back and forth with him (around post #176 or so). It was in post #178 when he mentioned the classic top cap in his opinion was more efficient than with the Windsor cap. To paraphrase him, the Copper CH1 with the Windsor cap was in his “running with the big dogs “rotation, whereas the copper CH1 with the classic cap jumped up into his top tier “big dogs” rotation. If he has both to directly compare with each other I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.
Blade chatter doesn't seem to bother me that much, which might be why I like the Classic cap with the CH1 base. I also prefer the Gillette Pre-War Tech to the Post-War Tech, even though the Post-War Tech has better Blade support.

Could be my choice of blades? The recent comparison @Neilzebub and I did between the German and Egyptian Bolzano blades demonstrated (to me, at least) that the thinner Egyptian blades were not able to stand up to my preferred Steep Angle.

The Classic line is discontinued, so I have been using the readily available Windsor Pro cap (which is supposed to be between the Classic and the Windsor) with the Copper plates and have found it to be close in efficiency and a bit smoother than the Classic cap.

My current primary ATT razor (ShavingADD can be brutal) is the Aluminum Windsor Pro Mixed Metal with the (CM1/CR1/CH1) Copper plate. :)

Hope this helps. :cool:

Blade chatter doesn't seem to bother me that much, which might be why I like the Classic cap with the CH1 base. I also prefer the Gillette Pre-War Tech to the Post-War Tech, even though the Post-War Tech has better Blade support.

Could be my choice of blades? The recent comparison @Neilzebub and I did between the German and Egyptian Bolzano blades demonstrated (to me, at least) that the thinner Egyptian blades were not able to stand up to my preferred Steep Angle.

The Classic line is discontinued, so I have been using the readily available Windsor Pro cap (which is supposed to be between the Classic and the Windsor) with the Copper plates and have found it to be close in efficiency and a bit smoother than the Classic cap.

My current primary ATT razor (ShavingADD can be brutal) is the Aluminum Windsor Pro Mixed Metal with the (CM1/CR1/CH1) Copper plate. :)

Hope this helps. :cool:
I just bought a copper Windsor from @alabamalawyer and the Windsor Slant S2 I bought from ATT will be backordered a week or more before they get in the colossal handles, so I’ll have to wait before i can try any comparisons. I made a second order of parts from ATT that will likely arrive before I have a complete razor to shave with lol.

I did pick up a Windsor Pro aluminum. In the scratch and dent section when i was buying the S2 Slant and at the time I thought each type wasn’t interchangeable, so it will be cool to try and mix parts together. I did read the Slant parts aren’t interchangeable with the other parts which seems like a no brainer.

It was a response from @never-stop-learning in post #143 in That Windsor Feeling thread where he first mentions the efficiency of the Classic cap on the copper Windsor plates. It was actually you that was going back and forth with him starting in post #173 where he responded to a comment of yours about the Windsor being more efficient than the Karve. It was in post #178 when he mentioned the classic top cap in his opinion was more efficient than with the Windsor cap. To paraphrase him, the Copper CH1 with the Windsor cap was in his “running with the big dogs“ rotation, whereas the copper CH1 with the classic cap jumped up into his top tier “big dogs” rotation. If he has both to directly compare with each other I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's all YMMV.

I'm not at all disputing anyone else's experience.

I personally find Windsor to be one of the most superior razors on the market.
The classic and Windsor Pro were too chattery for my liking, without adding additional efficiency.

(I do 4 passes daily. W, X, A, A due to heavy growth but I need to balance it out with comfort for my inflammation prone skin)

Much as I can tell the classic line was replaced by the Windsor (except S1/2) and now the Windsor is being updated to the latest RH and MR versions. Have to assume all the older non-slants are out of production now. So the Windsor H1 is the most efficient if still in stock.

Guess the Pro line is separate? And then you have the copper/ss line... I agree it's pretty confusing.
Very confusing. So the Slant S2 I bought from ATT is not a Windsor but an older design? Here I thought this was a brand new design they just released.

On ATT’s site the Windsor Pro is missing except for parts and the aluminum scratch and dent razor. There’s no notice of it just being out of stock, and the lack of information is bizarre. My first thought was it was already phased out maybe due to people preferring made in America and basically boycotting the company. I figured maybe ATT changed their decision and went back to only made in America due to the backlash. In their blog from the article when they introduced the Chinese made Windsor Pro, there are 50 comments now dating back to July 2020, and quite a few mentioned they were loyal customers up until the decision to start manufacturing in China, and they would no longer buy their products.

The slants are from the classic line, they decided not to update the design
Thanks for the heads up. Wish that ATT would have made this clear in their description. Now going back to the site, I don’t see in the description if this is actually Stainless Steel like I’m expecting it to be. I just read there was an aluminum slant at one time, and hope that’s not what I bought…

The more I’m reading about ATT the more it seems they are in disarray. I hope they get things sorted.

The Al slants are anodised and have blue baseplates, you got the SS

Maybe this helps

1638099513371.png

Classic line

1638099537695.png

Windsor

Of course that doesn't help with the open combs - but there aren't any yet

So the classic line manufactured before the Windsor line had long oval rinse ports, then they switched to the Windsor with the 10 round holes for rinse ports, then for the Windsor Pro they go back to the classic design with oval rinse ports? How many years has the Windsor been in production?

It's all YMMV.

I'm not at all disputing anyone else's experience.

I personally find Windsor to be one of the most superior razors on the market.
The classic and Windsor Pro were too chattery for my liking, without adding additional efficiency.

(I do 4 passes daily. W, X, A, A due to heavy growth but I need to balance it out with comfort for my inflammation prone skin)
That to me is where the R1 classic shines. It’s an excellent razor for two days or more growth. It can be a little harsh as a daily shave though. Not tried the R1 Windsor pro yet

Reactions: nav
Much as I can tell the classic line was replaced by the Windsor (except S1/2) and now the Windsor is being updated to the latest RH and MR versions. Have to assume all the older non-slants are out of production now. So the Windsor H1 is the most efficient if still in stock.

Guess the Pro line is separate? And then you have the copper/ss line... I agree it's pretty confusing.
Classic line is being discontinued.
So is the Windsor line being discontinued.

Only the Windsor Pro line made in China is my understanding.

Very confusing. So the Slant S2 I bought from ATT is not a Windsor but an older design? Here I thought this was a brand new design they just released.

On ATT’s site the Windsor Pro is missing except for parts and the aluminum scratch and dent razor. There’s no notice of it just being out of stock, and the lack of information is bizarre. My first thought was it was already phased out maybe due to people preferring made in America and basically boycotting the company. I figured maybe ATT changed their decision and went back to only made in America due to the backlash. In their blog from the article when they introduced the Chinese made Windsor Pro, there are 50 comments now dating back to July 2020, and quite a few mentioned they were loyal customers up until the decision to start manufacturing in China, and they would no longer buy their products.
Greetings! We have had our original slant out for about 8-9 years. Our newest slant is the X1. It is a single edge slant. It was released in March of this year. We haven’t had our aluminum slants in a couple years. We hope to bring those back, but we’re still having issues finding an anodizer that performs up to our standards. We’re not giving up though! We miss our aluminum line!
As for the stainless Windsor Pro…we have had some issues with the caps. We are currently working on a solution to this problem. We really want to get them back on our shelves! Since we don’t know how long this will take, that’s why they are not on back order at this time. I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions. Happy shaving!

Mariah

Top Bottom