What's new

Review: Above The Tie - new Windsor Base Plates (Polished Finish)

So @nav this from your original post which design is that one, the classic or Windsor?
"I should begin by stating the original H plate is not only the perfect setting for me in terms of efficiency, but it's actually my #1 most favorite razor out of the 80+ I've used over the last 14 years!!"

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Okay I'm getting a better picture now with all of the help.
Wondering about the holes on the plate for the lather channels, are you guys getting along with those ?
The holes work just fine and look cool to boot, especially in copper. I am sure that if Above the Tie says the new design is an improvement it is, but I did not think improvement was needed. I seriously doubt that in real live shaving you could fault the holes design. I do not know what sort of gunk others use, but my lather does not clog anything.

The holes work just fine and look cool to boot, especially in copper. I am sure that if Above the Tie says the new design is an improvement it is, but I did not think improvement was needed. I seriously doubt that in real live shaving you could fault the holes design. I do not know what sort of gunk others use, but my lather does not clog anything.
That's a good report.

So @nav this from your original post which design is that one, the classic or Windsor?
"I should begin by stating the original H plate is not only the perfect setting for me in terms of efficiency, but it's actually my #1 most favorite razor out of the 80+ I've used over the last 14 years!!"

Sorry, I was referring to the Windsor (H1) plate, not classic.

You can see the full review of this plate in the link posted in my OP.

I recently got the Windsor Pro SB90 in Aluminum and I feel the same way. I feel like this razor was made just for me. I find it perfect. Over the last 8 years I've tried at least 55 razors of all types and the Windsor Pro is by far my favorite. Great razor.

I have taken quite a liking to aluminum razors. Based on this thread, @shave/brush recommendation, other B&B discussions, and seeing an interview on YT with @Above The Tie I could not resist picking up a Windsor Pro SB90 myself. It arrived in today's mail. I used it with the Astra SP supplied by ATT. What a great efficient razor. Here I am at the end of the day, still BBS; not a hint of whisker growth.

I have only one complaint about this razor: I need want one in blue.

IMG_20210821_100608182.jpg

I have taken quite a liking to aluminum razors. Based on this thread, @shave/brush recommendation, other B&B discussions, and seeing an interview on YT with @Above The Tie I could not resist picking up a Windsor Pro SB90 myself. It arrived in today's mail. I used it with the Astra SP supplied by ATT. What a great efficient razor. Here I am at the end of the day, still BBS; not a hint of whisker growth.

I have only one complaint about this razor: I need want one in blue.

View attachment 1315270

You won't be sorry you bought it. I like it more each time I use it. The fact that they use 7075 Aluminum is nice too. I'm sure the 6000 series is good enough but it's always better to have an overkill.

Reactions: ewk
Ok , got a SSRH w/Atlas handle polished complete razor and the SSH1 polished plate only on order. These should give me a good try of these.
Appreciate the help through the difference models, it was a bit confusing.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Ok , got a SSRH w/Atlas handle polished complete razor and the SSH1 polished plate only on order. These should give me a good try of these.
Appreciate the help through the difference models, it was a bit confusing.
Are you going to end up with duplicate plates?

Edit...never mind. One between R and H and one H. Nice.

Variety is the name of the game. I currently have the SSM1, SSR1, and SSH1 plates and I am ordering the SSMR AND SSRH which fall in between the original plates. Glad to see the review of the new plates before placing the order.
Also ATT has said that the are planning to do open comb plates for the Windsor soon.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For those who have both the older plates and the new ones, what are the impressions when comparing them? Is a new MR plate more like the old mild or the old regular, or is it totally and uniquely its own thing?

I'm back, with a review of the newly released ATT Windsor base plates.

The razor is made from 303 stainless steel, in the USA.

For comprehensive information on the original Windsor and Windsor Pro models, please check out my previous review:

REVIEW: Above-The-Tie (ATT)...The all new Windsor Pro SS & AL (and Windsor original) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/review-above-the-tie-att-the-all-new-windsor-pro-ss-al-and-windsor-original.597502/#post-10966106

The updated Windsor razor design is fairly similar to the original Windsor in terms of handles, head design, geometry etc.

The main differences being the blade gaps and lather channels.

The original consisted of three plates;
M- 0.25mm
R- 0.58mm
H- 0.91mm

ATT have streamlined these settings and reduced to two levels;
SSMR- 0.40mm
SSRH- 0.80mm

I should begin by stating the original H plate is not only the perfect setting for me in terms of efficiency, but it's actually my #1 most favorite razor out of the 80+ I've used over the last 14 years!!

It's very comfortable on the skin where I can hardly feel the blade in the skin, i.e. There is zero blade chatter! But it's an incredibly deep cutting razor! What I mean by this is that it gives me the closest BBS that lasts into the evening AND the lowest level of what I call "post shave shadow" (guys with lighter skin and dark stubble will know what I'm talking about here!).

The new SSRH 0.80mm plate retains the DNA of the original Windsor...There is zero chatter, incredibly smooth shaving and deep shaving! The reduction in efficiency from the H plate is barely noticeable. The closeness of the shave is the same with just a tiny reduction in the duration of the BBS closeness. The comfort is however increased with the SSRH. I literally couldn't tell there's a blade in the razor! Even for sensitive skin, the SSRH would be a great choice, therefore I wouldn't classify this razor as "aggressive" because it's simply not! I classify it as "efficient" & "comfortable".

The SSMR 0.40mm plate is admittedly too mild for me. I use only Polsilver blades and I was still able to achieve a DFS result, which is surprisingly more than I would expect from a 0.40mm blade gap. Comfort wise, I probably couldn't tell the difference whether there was a blade installed or not! I mean, for anyone prone to skin issues/irritation, this is a marvelous choice!

I did try this plate with a Feather blade and it definitely increased the efficiency level to what I would say was DFS+ (i.e. closer than DFS but not longer lasting)! And the Feather was totally tamed by this razor! It felt like an ACTUAL Feather!

The lather channels on the new plates have been changed from ten small holes to two long channels. I personally prefer the small holes due to the unique look but the new longer channels are a tad easier to rinse out so I can definitely understand why ATT made this change.

I don't think my photos do justice to actually how gorgeous the Hand Polished finish is.
It's like a mirror finish and it is absolutely beautiful. My wife jokingly said we can display it on a shelf at our entry foyer (although she may not have been joking but I didn't dare clarify!).

The Atlas handle is 3 inches and absolutely the most perfect razor handle I've ever used. It's an absolute pleasure to hold with deep and comfortable barberpole knurling. The diameter is perfect, not too thick but enough that it feels like a natural extension of the hand.
(The Calypso handle is basically a longer Atlas for those that prefer a slightly longer handle).

I believe ATT will be releasing new open comb plates for the Windsor model so I look forward to that.

ATT are the OG of high quality razors but even after ten years, they have their fingers on the pulse of the razor market and have delivered what I would consider is a very universal razor suitable for the vast majority of shavers.

View attachment 1312559View attachment 1312560View attachment 1312561View attachment 1312562View attachment 1312563View attachment 1312564
Excellent review got the Windsor Pro SB90 which is a very nice shaver on the heavy side but I'm getting some great shaves out of it I've been hearing good things about the Aluminium SB 90 which is on my wishlist now

Reactions: nav
Excellent review got the Windsor Pro SB90 which is a very nice shaver on the heavy side but I'm getting some great shaves out of it I've been hearing good things about the Aluminium SB 90 which is on my wishlist now

Thanks!

The SB90 is also a wonderful razor and I have yet to come across a review which is not positive.

ATT really know how to design a razor!!

For comprehensive information on the original Windsor and Windsor Pro models, please check out my previous review:

REVIEW: Above-The-Tie (ATT)...The all new Windsor Pro SS & AL (and Windsor original) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/review-above-the-tie-att-the-all-new-windsor-pro-ss-al-and-windsor-original.597502/#post-10966106

The updated Windsor razor design is fairly similar to the original Windsor in terms of handles, head design, geometry etc.

M- 0.25mm
R- 0.58mm
H- 0.91mm

SSMR- 0.40mm
SSRH- 0.80mm

I should begin by stating the original H plate is not only the perfect setting for me in terms of efficiency, but it's actually my #1 most favorite razor out of the 80+ I've used over the last 14 years!!

It's very comfortable on the skin where I can hardly feel the blade in the skin, i.e. There is zero blade chatter! But it's an incredibly deep cutting razor! What I mean by this is that it gives me the closest BBS that lasts into the evening AND the lowest level of what I call "post shave shadow" (guys with lighter skin and dark stubble will know what I'm talking about here!).

The new SSRH 0.80mm plate retains the DNA of the original Windsor...There is zero chatter, incredibly smooth shaving and deep shaving! The reduction in efficiency from the H plate is barely noticeable. The closeness of the shave is the same with just a tiny reduction in the duration of the BBS closeness. The comfort is however increased with the SSRH. I literally couldn't tell there's a blade in the razor! Even for sensitive skin, the SSRH would be a great choice, therefore I wouldn't classify this razor as "aggressive" because it's simply not! I classify it as "efficient" & "comfortable".

The SSMR 0.40mm plate is admittedly too mild for me. I use only Polsilver blades and I was still able to achieve a DFS result, which is surprisingly more than I would expect from a 0.40mm blade gap. Comfort wise, I probably couldn't tell the difference whether there was a blade installed or not! I mean, for anyone prone to skin issues/irritation, this is a marvelous choice!

I did try this plate with a Feather blade and it definitely increased the efficiency level to what I would say was DFS+ (i.e. closer than DFS but not longer lasting)! And the Feather was totally tamed by this razor! It felt like an ACTUAL Feather!

The lather channels on the new plates have been changed from ten small holes to two long channels. I personally prefer the small holes due to the unique look but the new longer channels are a tad easier to rinse out so I can definitely understand why ATT made this change.

I don't think my photos do justice to actually how gorgeous the Hand Polished finish is.
It's like a mirror finish and it is absolutely beautiful. My wife jokingly said we can display it on a shelf at our entry foyer (although she may not have been joking but I didn't dare clarify!).

The Atlas handle is 3 inches and absolutely the most perfect razor handle I've ever used. It's an absolute pleasure to hold with deep and comfortable barberpole knurling. The diameter is perfect, not too thick but enough that it feels like a natural extension of the hand.
(The Calypso handle is basically a longer Atlas for those that prefer a slightly longer handle).

I believe ATT will be releasing new open comb plates for the Windsor model so I look forward to that.

ATT are the OG of high quality razors but even after ten years, they have their fingers on the pulse of the razor market and have delivered what I would consider is a very universal razor suitable for the vast majority

M- 0.25mm
R- 0.58mm
H- 0.91mm

SSMR- 0.40mm
SSRH- 0.80mm

ATT are the OG of high quality razors but even after ten years, they have their fingers on the pulse of the razor market and have delivered what I would consider is a very universal razor suitable for the vast majority of shavers.

View attachment 1312559View attachment 1312560View attachment 1312561View attachment 1312562View attachment 1312563View attachment 1312564
So ATT aren’t just adding the SSMR and SSRH plates in addition to the M,R,H plates, but are phasing out the 3 plates mentioned?

Last edited:
I was referring to the fact that the Windsor has been out for several years now with no open comb option to date.
I’m brand new to ATT but have been reading up on old threads, and it does seem odd they never released OC plates for the Windsor. Silly me, I just posted in another thread with hopes that there were Copper OC plates that were/are available.

Still waiting for a copper Karve razor, but not sure what’s going on with him. One day he posts that copper parts are all ready and then the next post he reveals a brand new aluminum and brass razor with no mention of the copper Karve that was supposed to be available for order. Last message i received from him was October 30.

Last edited:
Windsor open combs can be pre-ordered

The naming system isn't the best right now. They need to phase out the older M-R-H plates first.
I’m new to the ATT family and I noticed that when I placed an order with them yesterday. If I had been an ATT user for 5-10 years now, my patience would have worn thin that it took that long for them to come out with open comb plates. Here’s hoping they develop the open plates in copper but with the old copper plates being discontinued who knows.

Top Bottom