What's new

Review: Above The Tie - new Windsor Base Plates (Polished Finish)

Great review. I like where you said;

"I should begin by stating the original H plate is not only the perfect setting for me in terms of efficiency, but it's actually my #1 most favorite razor out of the 80+ I've used over the last 14 years!!
It's very comfortable on the skin where I can hardly feel the blade in the skin, i.e. There is zero blade chatter! But it's an incredibly deep cutting razor! "

I recently got the Windsor Pro SB90 in Aluminum and I feel the same way. I feel like this razor was made just for me. I find it perfect. Over the last 8 years I've tried at least 55 razors of all types and the Windsor Pro is by far my favorite. Great razor.

boar_stick.jpg

Great review. I like where you said;

"I should begin by stating the original H plate is not only the perfect setting for me in terms of efficiency, but it's actually my #1 most favorite razor out of the 80+ I've used over the last 14 years!!
It's very comfortable on the skin where I can hardly feel the blade in the skin, i.e. There is zero blade chatter! But it's an incredibly deep cutting razor! "

I recently got the Windsor Pro SB90 in Aluminum and I feel the same way. I feel like this razor was made just for me. I find it perfect. Over the last 8 years I've tried at least 55 razors of all types and the Windsor Pro is by far my favorite. Great razor.

View attachment 1313772

Congrats!!
It's great to discover a razor that instantly becomes a favorite right?!

Is the original H plate going to be different than the classic H ? Pro?
I'm getting a little bit confused on the att looking at the only most efficient plate in the different model/ styles.
Also are some of these H plate most picture ones off of their site and not being made anymore?

Much as I can tell the classic line was replaced by the Windsor (except S1/2) and now the Windsor is being updated to the latest RH and MR versions. Have to assume all the older non-slants are out of production now. So the Windsor H1 is the most efficient if still in stock.

Guess the Pro line is separate? And then you have the copper/ss line... I agree it's pretty confusing.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Much as I can tell the classic line was replaced by the Windsor (except S1/2) and now the Windsor is being updated to the latest RH and MR versions. Have to assume all the older non-slants are out of production now. So the Windsor H1 is the most efficient if still in stock.

Guess the Pro line is separate? And then you have the copper/ss line... I agree it's pretty confusing.
It ought to work fine if you understand Personna blades. 😜

Which ones do you have Matt?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
As I understand it (and I am confident others, including @Above The Tie , will correct me if I am wrong), Above the Tie currently offers two lines, the Windsor and the Windsor Pro. Parts are interchangeable across lines. There are currently no new slant or single edge offerings, although some of the older stock may from time to time be available. Copper plates are not being made at present. The three plate choices previously available on the Windsor, mild, regular, and heavy, have been replaced by two options, one in between mild and regular and one in between regular and heavy. The new plates have larger rinse slots rather than the drill holes. I have mild and regular plates, and the difference, although noticeable, is pretty small. This new "sweet spot" offering ought to capture mildness with efficiency.

As I understand it (and I am confident others, including @Above The Tie , will correct me if I am wrong), Above the Tie currently offers two lines, the Windsor and the Windsor Pro. Parts are interchangeable across lines. There are currently no new slant or single edge offerings, although some of the older stock may from time to time be available. Copper plates are not being made at present. The three plate choices previously available on the Windsor, mild, regular, and heavy, have been replaced by two options, one in between mild and regular and one in between regular and heavy. The new plates have larger rinse slots rather than the drill holes. I have mild and regular plates, and the difference, although noticeable, is pretty small. This new "sweet spot" offering ought to capture mildness with efficiency.
Yeah, all right Windsor and Windsor pro.

Is the original H plate going to be different than the classic H ? Pro?
I'm getting a little bit confused on the att looking at the only most efficient plate in the different model/ styles.
Also are some of these H plate most picture ones off of their site and not being made anymore?

As covered by other members, the Windsor H is different to Classic H.

Classic line is discontinued. Windsor gives the blade a stronger clamp so blade chatter is minimal.

The Windsor M, R, H are being replaced with MR and RH.

As covered by other members, the Windsor H is different to Classic H.

Classic line is discontinued. Windsor gives the blade a stronger clamp so blade chatter is minimal.

The Windsor M, R, H are being replaced with MR and RH.
Okay I'm getting a better picture now with all of the help.
Wondering about the holes on the plate for the lather channels, are you guys getting along with those ?

Wondering about the holes on the plate for the lather channels, are you guys getting along with those ?
My apologies i backtracked to your initial post and you did talk about the lather channels.

Reactions: nav

I love the unique look of the holes on the base plates but find the newer channels rinse easier.
If I had to choose one, I'd go with the holes personally.

Top Bottom