What's new

Review: Above The Tie - new Windsor Base Plates (Polished Finish)

I'm back, with a review of the newly released ATT Windsor base plates.

The razor is made from 303 stainless steel, in the USA.

For comprehensive information on the original Windsor and Windsor Pro models, please check out my previous review:

REVIEW: Above-The-Tie (ATT)...The all new Windsor Pro SS & AL (and Windsor original) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/review-above-the-tie-att-the-all-new-windsor-pro-ss-al-and-windsor-original.597502/#post-10966106

The updated Windsor razor design is fairly similar to the original Windsor in terms of handles, head design, geometry etc.

The main differences being the blade gaps and lather channels.

The original consisted of three plates;
M- 0.25mm
R- 0.58mm
H- 0.91mm

ATT have streamlined these settings and reduced to two levels;
SSMR- 0.40mm
SSRH- 0.80mm

I should begin by stating the original H plate is not only the perfect setting for me in terms of efficiency, but it's actually my #1 most favorite razor out of the 80+ I've used over the last 14 years!!

It's very comfortable on the skin where I can hardly feel the blade in the skin, i.e. There is zero blade chatter! But it's an incredibly deep cutting razor! What I mean by this is that it gives me the closest BBS that lasts into the evening AND the lowest level of what I call "post shave shadow" (guys with lighter skin and dark stubble will know what I'm talking about here!).

The new SSRH 0.80mm plate retains the DNA of the original Windsor...There is zero chatter, incredibly smooth shaving and deep shaving! The reduction in efficiency from the H plate is barely noticeable. The closeness of the shave is the same with just a tiny reduction in the duration of the BBS closeness. The comfort is however increased with the SSRH. I literally couldn't tell there's a blade in the razor! Even for sensitive skin, the SSRH would be a great choice, therefore I wouldn't classify this razor as "aggressive" because it's simply not! I classify it as "efficient" & "comfortable".

The SSMR 0.40mm plate is admittedly too mild for me. I use only Polsilver blades and I was still able to achieve a DFS result, which is surprisingly more than I would expect from a 0.40mm blade gap. Comfort wise, I probably couldn't tell the difference whether there was a blade installed or not! I mean, for anyone prone to skin issues/irritation, this is a marvelous choice!

I did try this plate with a Feather blade and it definitely increased the efficiency level to what I would say was DFS+ (i.e. closer than DFS but not longer lasting)! And the Feather was totally tamed by this razor! It felt like an ACTUAL Feather!

The lather channels on the new plates have been changed from ten small holes to two long channels. I personally prefer the small holes due to the unique look but the new longer channels are a tad easier to rinse out so I can definitely understand why ATT made this change.

I don't think my photos do justice to actually how gorgeous the Hand Polished finish is.
It's like a mirror finish and it is absolutely beautiful. My wife jokingly said we can display it on a shelf at our entry foyer (although she may not have been joking but I didn't dare clarify!).

The Atlas handle is 3 inches and absolutely the most perfect razor handle I've ever used. It's an absolute pleasure to hold with deep and comfortable barberpole knurling. The diameter is perfect, not too thick but enough that it feels like a natural extension of the hand.
(The Calypso handle is basically a longer Atlas for those that prefer a slightly longer handle).

I believe ATT will be releasing new open comb plates for the Windsor model so I look forward to that.

ATT are the OG of high quality razors but even after ten years, they have their fingers on the pulse of the razor market and have delivered what I would consider is a very universal razor suitable for the vast majority of shavers.

20210722_161227~(1).jpg
20210722_161057~(1).jpg
20210722_161146~(1).jpg
20210722_160955~(1).jpg
20210722_161003~(1).jpg
20210722_161119~(1).jpg

Nice review. I just got the new SSRH plate a couple weeks ago and love it. I also have the CR1 copper base that is nice as well, but the SSRH bumps up the efficiency to "just right" for me while maintaining a smooth shave. Mine is on the Kronos handle which I prefer over their other offerings. Would love to see a copper version of the new plates.....hint, hint ATT.

Nice review. I just got the new SSRH plate a couple weeks ago and love it. I also have the CR1 copper base that is nice as well, but the SSRH bumps up the efficiency to "just right" for me while maintaining a smooth shave. Mine is on the Kronos handle which I prefer over their other offerings. Would love to see a copper version of the new plates.....hint, hint ATT.

Oh man, the copper would be awesome!!

I agree, the SSRH increases the efficiency compared to the R plate, but still buttery smooth.

Does anyone else find it preposterous that ATT has yet to offer an open comb version of the Windsor?

As per gdawg55, ATT stated they will be releasing open comb plates in the new settings.

I believe I heard them say they are in the process of making an open comb for the Windsor on another thread.

Great write up! I have used an M1/M2 combo (mostly the M2) for years, and was very happy with my shaves.

I don't know why, but I decided to sell them. I think the launch of the Windsor put me off, knowing that I had invested a lot on an "inferior" design...

ATT makes fine razors. I might get a SSMR head some time down the road.

@nav can you confirm the weight in grams of the head only? I couldn't find on ATT website

Great write up! I have used an M1/M2 combo (mostly the M2) for years, and was very happy with my shaves.

I don't know why, but I decided to sell them. I think the launch of the Windsor put me off, knowing that I had invested a lot on an "inferior" design...

ATT makes fine razors. I might get a SSMR head some time down the road.

@nav can you confirm the weight in grams of the head only? I couldn't find on ATT website

I only have a needle-style kitchen scale so unfortunately it won't be accurate enough for a razor head.

@Above The Tie
Could you please help with this query?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
@nav im wondering if the redesign has the same blade “sing” can you comment?
Also your pics really show quite a nice shine / polish on that. How does it look in person.

@nav im wondering if the redesign has the same blade “sing” can you comment?
Also your pics really show quite a nice shine / polish on that. How does it look in person.

The Windsor sings less than the classic version because the blade is clamored much tighter due to just 1mm blade reveal.

The new SSRH is very similar to the H1 plate, both are fairly quiet due to lack of blade chatter.

There is still a nice audio feedback but it's not "tinny" or rough sounding.

The polish is much nicer in the hand. I was upset my photos couldn't capture it and I eventually had to accept what my phone could capture.
The polished finish is one of the best I've seen. From what I understand, ATT do the polished and satin finishes in-house!!

That is an excellent question! We have talked about it. As of right now, there are no plans for one. Although you never know what next year will bring ;) When/if we decide to do a Windsor S1 and S2 you fine folks on B&B will be the first to know!

Mariah

Excuse me for being ignorant of this but when you refer to a S1 and S2 do you mean a single edge version?

Top Bottom