What's new

Review 1 of 3: Lustray Coachman

proxy.php

As some of you know I recently ordered up a package of three AS's from this vendor that get very little air time around here. Over the next three nights I will offer a mini review and my opinion of each. Tonight we begin with Lustray Coachman. Lustray is distributed by the same company that manufactures the Pinaud products: American International Industries of Los Angeles.

The Coachman is very obviously related to Clubman (you Clubman detractors keep reading). They have the same amber color and the scents are very nearly the same in the bottle: pungent, musky and spicy. What ingredients are listed appear similar. When first applied to the skin they are very much the same as well; strong, almost cologne-like with powerful alcohol fumes. However after settling in I think the Coachman has some subtle differences making it unique. I would say it becomes less pungent and more powdery than Clubman making it a much softer scent. Clubman settles into a hint of powder as well, but remains very strong and spicy most of the day. Coachman is much more subdued and a bit sweeter. Somewhat along the lines of Masters Topaz. In fact push come to shove, I would call it a hybrid between Clubman and Topaz.

If you are a fan of Clubman I say purchase this as they are definitely in the same family with just enough difference to make it worth the small amount it costs. If you are almost a fan of Clubman but can't quite handle it's powerful odor then I also recommend giving it a try. It is certainly less potent and a much fainter, more subtle scent. If you absolutely despise Pinaud products, then Coachman probably isn't for you. Personally I think now that I have both, I'll most likely be reaching for the Coachman more often than not. I really like how it has settled into a powdery yet masculine fragrance.

Thank you! The more reviews of these underdog aftershaves the better! I think I would like this A/S as the regular Clubman wears very strong on me for some reason..

-Mason

Good review. I was in a store recently and took a whiff of Coachman from the bottle. Smelled the same as Clubman to me (which I and the wife like) so I didn't get it. After your review, I might just have to go pick up a bottle and give it a go. :wink:

Very nice review, Eagle. I almost added that to my cart when I checked out from the same store but decided 5 bottles of other stuff was enough. I think in 18 years when I run out I will try that particular scent.

Gee thanks there Shep.. now I have something else to spend money on...:biggrin: Great review as usual thanks for taking the time.

Fuzzy

nice review ,almost tempts me into trying some.i'm not a coachman fan (reminds me of brut,which causes 70's flashbacks)

I emailed Clubman awhile back asking about the difference and received this email.

Clubman Aftershave:
Orange, Bergamot, and Lemon with Green nuances throughout. Floral Heart Of Jasmine, Orange Flower, and Geranium dance with Lavender and completed with warm Musk background.

Coachman Aftershave:
Sweet Lavender notes which blend into Amber Musk, White Oak Moss and warm Woody scent of White Wood.

i picked up some of this a/s last week.i was a bit hesitant as i am not a clubman fan(sniffing the bottle it smells like tomcat urine IMO) and i had thought this to be a clubman clone.but after reading this review i decided to give it a try.
after leaving the store i dabbed a bit on the inside of each wrist.sweet but not too sweet.i'm sure i got a few looks as i was driving home,sniffing my wrists.
when i got home i just had to shave so i could try this stuff.lol.goes on strong,definitely needs a few hours to die down.my wife thought it smelled nice--across the room.well, also up close.lol.
i definitely smell lavender and i pickup something sharp in the background an almost lemony scent,the review lists oakmoss as a scent also.
it's scent reminded me of another a/s i have-- Sportsman.another low buck product.$1.50 for 2 oz that contain lavender and oakmoss.i think Coachman has a bit more depth to it though,and is a bit more economical $5 for 14 oz.

I'm not crazy about the Coachman. Coachman began life as a chemically watered-down Clubman priced cheaply, in order to sell in bulk to barbers that went through a lot of aftershave. The same can be said of the entire Lustray line, though there are some formulations exclusive to the brand.

I feel that for the money, why not just get regular Clubman?

I'm not crazy about the Coachman. Coachman began life as a chemically watered-down Clubman priced cheaply, in order to sell in bulk to barbers that went through a lot of aftershave. The same can be said of the entire Lustray line, though there are some formulations exclusive to the brand.

I feel that for the money, why not just get regular Clubman?

Exactly, since they are both made by Clubman, along with the Jerris products.

Top Bottom