What's new

Reuzel

I happened to find a tin of Reuzel shaving cream. I used it this morning. It was pretty damn good! I used a Simpson best badger and created a thick lather with a fresh scent. I had a satisfying shave.

Funny thing though, it was a little...clumpy!(?).

I'm going to try it again this weekend. Has anyone else had a chance experience with Reuzel shaving cream?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, could you post some pics of this new cream, please? I'd like to see the ingredients list and know if it's also brushless. Thanks!

Fantastic pomade company and love their style and scents. I'm also interested in the above questions as well as where you bought it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

reuzel.jpg

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Sir, could you post some pics of this new cream, please? I'd like to see the ingredients list and know if it's also brushless. Thanks!

Here's a link to their U.S. web store... Shave Cream | Highly Concentrated • Smooth Skin Shave | Reuzel, Inc.™

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Potassium Hydroxide, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Cetyl Alcohol, Equisetum Arvense Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Stearyl Alcohol, Fragrance (Parfum), Hexyl Cinnamal, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid

Thanks shavefan.

I was hoping to get to the ingredients tonight, when I arrived home. Glad to have the help!

Just got this shaving cream today for 10,00 EUR 100 ml. Decided to give it a try and post a review since it is a new cream on the market.

Tools used:
  • Muhle Badger
  • Merkur 23C
  • Shark Super Stainless

Cons:
  • This cream does NOT lather. I was unable to create a thick, rich creamy lather even after trying a few different water to cream ratios.
  • Lacks slickness
  • Requires more product for a single pass than other creams
Pros:
  • Incredible, old school masculine scent - mahogany musk, just as described by Reuzel. Wonderfully compliments their aftershave which is excellent.
  • Amazing skin protection
  • Very soft and nourishing feel post shave
  • Heals nicks like a styptic pencil
  • Greatly reduces and prevents irritation
Shaving experience:

Lathering the cream was quite disappointing because it DOES NOT LATHER. Reuzel is a company which offers an amazing range of products which have old school written all over them (hair pomades, hair tonics, aftershave) and so I expected that this cream would be formulated in the old school fashion so that we could create a thick lather - which is what most of the traditional wet shavers aim to create, however that was not the case with this product. Applying the cream with a brush was as difficult as trying to lather it because the water diluted cream has soaked into the brush almost completely, leaving me with a very watery, thin coating of cream on my face.

After the cream has been applied to the face, the things have turned for the best. This shave cream feels so good on your face, it's unbelievable. I did a two pass shave (WTG/XTG) with one small nick which had healed immediately as if I've applied the styptic pencil (without the white crust afterwards, of course!). I shaved 10 days of growth (soft, light stubble and mildly sensitive skin) easily without any redness or irritation. The final result was one of the closest and most satisfying WTG/XTG shaves I've ever had and I'm enjoying the feel and scent after the shave as I'm writing this review.

Conclusion:

This cream is clearly designed for hand lathering rather than face/bowl lathering with a brush. All other aspects of the cream are perfect, except for the slickness which is medium in my opinion and could use some more lubrication. The skin protection aspect of this cream is it's greatest advantage and that probably comes from the variety of natural ingredients such as rosemary, nettle, witch hazel and aloe vera.

Having that in mind, this cream would be perfect in your rotation for those days when you are in a hurry and you just hand lather the stuff directly from the tin and start shaving.

For now, I will stick to L'Occitane Cade Rich Shaving Cream as my main shaving cream simply because I prefer a thick, creamy lather applied with a brush rather than a thin coat of cream applied with hand. It equals Reuzel on post shave feel and beats Reuzel on lather and slickness, however it looses to Reuzel on skin protection and scent.

Pictures:

Displaying the tacky consistency (a la chocolate mousse) and poor lather.

20170906_214237.jpg

20170906_215621.jpg

20170906_220134.jpg

The brains behind Reuzel, for those who aren't aware, are the Scumbag Barbers of Rotterdam, Leen and Rob-founders of Schorem Haarsnijder en Barbier. They take barbering, and perhaps nothing else, very seriously. I would certainly expect a good product from them, but I didn't get the impression it was intended for lathering...I prefer to make lather and also prefer some reuzel (Dutch for lard) in my soaps. P.S.-although thought up by the folks in Holland, all Reuzel products are made in the USA!

Fantastic pomade company and love their style and scents. I'm also interested in the above questions as well as where you bought it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I was going to say I thought they made pomade. With a pig on the lid! Kind of cool.

All other aspects of the cream are perfect, except for the slickness which is medium in my opinion

If you had used it correctly (simply apply it and rub it in your bear with your fingers) the slickness would be more than fine (this applies to ALL creams even the non "brushless" ones) "good lather" does not really do anything for your shave comfort,it's LUBRICATION that you need and a cream applied as "brushless" always provides more lubrication than a "diluted by water/bush lathered cream".

If you had used it correctly (simply apply it and rub it in your bear with your fingers) the slickness would be more than fine (this applies to ALL creams even the non "brushless" ones) "good lather" does not really do anything for your shave comfort,it's LUBRICATION that you need and a cream applied as "brushless" always provides more lubrication than a "diluted by water/bush lathered cream".

I disregarded the instructions on the can on purpose, just to see if I could make it lather with a brush. I will try to hand lather it directly from the tin next time and I am certain that the results will be even better.

I also have a tin Reuzel. I tried to lather it in a bowl without any success. The product just disappeared.
If this hand lathering works out, I can pull it off the far shelf I put it on, and use it on work days where I have to leave the house early.
The smell is just amazing, so I hated it that I couldn't use it. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the above. I picked this up at my barber’s the other day and have used it three times now, each time trying to get a lather with a brush, with results as described. Even without the usual “creamy” lather, I got great shaves. Very slick and my skin felt great afterwards. I’ll keep experimenting with it, as I think it will be a good addition to my rotation.

OK. I've now used this a few more times, just "hand lathering." I hate to say this, but these may be the best shaves I've ever gotten. Super slick and my skin just feels amazing afterwards. Now I'm looking at my brush and soaps and asking myself, will I ever use them again? Probably, but I will definitely keep coming back to Reuzel.

Resurrecting this thread.

I finished my tin of Reuzel about two months ago. Interestingly, I started to get a little bit of irritation from the cream. I must have started to develop a contact allergy. I enjoyed the scent, but I'm will pass on this brand in the future.

Incredible, old school masculine scent - mahogany musk, just as described by Reuzel. Wonderfully compliments their aftershave which is excellent.
By that, do you mean that it smells similar to the aftershave? Because that is indeed an awesome "barbershop" scent. The hair tonic is similar to the AS.
"mahogany musk" - o_O I can't imagine what that would be like.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Im looking at the as. On amazon the description seems to be for shampoo. The q&a section has a question what does it smell like. Answer "doesn't snell"
Maggards says citrus sandalwood.

Top Bottom