What's new

Reuzel Aftershave - first impressions

The background story:
Some time ago, my barber finished off my usual buzz cut by giving me a scalp rub with some "Reuzel Hair Tonic", the blue stuff. It smelled great, and I kept taking my hat off to smell it all day. Even SWMBO liked it.
I did a bit of googling, and learned that Reuzel also has an aftershave with many of the same ingredients and (according to one reviewer) a very similar scent. It's not easy to find (from Canadian sources, at any rate), but as it happens, my barber friend was able to get me some from his local pro-only supplier at a really good price, so I saved on shipping too. I insisted that he take a few bucks extra for his trouble.
Actually, I asked him to get me two bottles, but he thinks he accidentally gave one away as a Christmas present to somebody else.

The product:
proxy.php

They only have the one aftershave product, so that's what they call it.
I am totally not alarmed by the guillotine on the label. :001_unsur
The plastic bottle resembles the larger bottles that some of their other products come in, but it's only 100 ml.

It has what they call their "T-4 Tonic Blend", also used in some of their other products.
"Witch Hazel Extract: Soothes tender skin
Nettle Leaf Extract: Natural astringent
Rosemary Extract: Moisturizing
Horsetail Root Extract: Antioxidant" [o_O that's a new one for me]

Ingredients:
  • Alcohol Denat
  • Aqua
  • Parfum
  • Bis-PEG-18 methyl Ester Dimethyl Silane
  • Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract [not bark?]
  • Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract
  • Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail Root) Extract
  • Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract
  • Benzophenone-4
  • PEG-7 Amodimethicone
  • Trideceth-10
  • Linalool
  • PEG-45M
  • Limonene
  • Benzyl Salicylate
  • Coumarin
  • Behentrimonium Chloride
  • Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone
  • Butylphenyl Methylproponal
  • Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin
  • Dimethicone [a species of silicone?]
  • Eugenol
  • Citral
  • Orange 4 (CI 15510)

What me think:
Alcohol may be the first ingredient, but I could barely feel it the couple of times I've used it.

It's the scent that I particularly like. Reuzel sez: "Bright citrus notes and hints of sandalwood offer a subtle but masculine scent". I detect a bit of soapy scent too. Not what I would call powdery, which I dislike. This aftershave has the most barbershop scent of any barbershop scent I've come across. It actually smells like a room that has the scents of half a dozen different products floating around.
Maybe a hint of stale cigar smoke too, but I could just be imagining that.;)
The scent lasts a couple of hours (3 to 8?), depending on how much you throw on.

It has officially displaced Proraso Red from the top of my list of favourite aftershaves.:thumbsup:

The only thing I dislike about it is that when I tried to use it in a small travel-size spray bottle, it just comes out as a narrow stream instead of a mist. :thumbdown Perhaps it has solid particles suspended in it that mess up the sprayer nozzle, and which would also explain the slight cloudiness.:thumbup:

It has officially displaced Proraso Red from the top of my list of favourite aftershaves.:thumbsup:
As Proraso Red is currently at the top of my ASL list (and has been since it first came out), I've just ordered a bottle of LARD. :letterk1: :laugh:

I'll report back after first use. :thumbsup:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Available at Toronto Beauty & Barber Supply. That's where I saw this itty-bitty, tiny sample bottle. Turns out, not a sample. That's the actual stuff at a ridiculous price.

It's almost like Reuzel outsourced this stuff to Creed at that price.

Well, color me enabled! - Just put in an order for a bottle of Reuzel - which I never heard of before, but it sounds really interesting. And besides, anything that anyone says smells like Aqua Velva is right up my alley!

That's where I saw this itty-bitty, tiny sample bottle. Turns out, not a sample. That's the actual stuff at a ridiculous price.
Ridiculous high or ridiculous low?
I've seen it listed for a wide range of prices, from $8 to $25-ish.
It's still a 100 ml bottle, which is what a lot of aftershaves come in - Proraso, Nivea, Fine, TOBS, some Brut, etc.
:001_unsur John, are you Irish?
Uh, nope.
3 parts Scottish, 1 part English.
... And besides, anything that anyone says smells like Aqua Velva is right up my alley!
Whaaaaat?!?!?
Who said that?
:nono: Nothing like any AV I've ever smelled.

You can keep nasty Aqua Velva. We hates it, precious.
proxy.php

The scent lasts a couple of hours (3 to 8?), depending on how much you throw on.
:001_unsur John, are you Irish?
Uh, nope.
:laugh: The reason I asked was that "a couple," to me, means two. But I have extended experience of working, and drinking, with my Irish colleagues where "a couple of drinks" means A LOT more than two. I'm Scottish by the way. :thumbsup:

Ridiculous high or ridiculous low?
I've seen it listed for a wide range of prices, from $8 to $25-ish.
It's still a 100 ml bottle, which is what a lot of aftershaves come in - Proraso, Nivea, Fine, TOBS, some Brut, etc.

Uh, nope.

Whaaaaat?!?!?
Who said that?
:nono: Nothing like any AV I've ever smelled.

You can keep nasty Aqua Velva. We hates it, precious.
proxy.php

:clap: Now that’s funny! - Some review somewhere out inda internet said that it reminded him about AV. Well, shucks. Anyhow, I am always up for blindbuying aftershaves that there is a 99% chance that I’ll hate. But I paid the equivalent of 12USD so a chance worth taking.

I loooooooooove AV.
31D93871-261A-4C07-A64A-82DC20073199.gif

The background story:
Some time ago, my barber finished off my usual buzz cut by giving me a scalp rub with some "Reuzel Hair Tonic", the blue stuff. It smelled great, and I kept taking my hat off to smell it all day. Even SWMBO liked it.
I did a bit of googling, and learned that Reuzel also has an aftershave with many of the same ingredients and (according to one reviewer) a very similar scent. It's not easy to find (from Canadian sources, at any rate), but as it happens, my barber friend was able to get me some from his local pro-only supplier at a really good price, so I saved on shipping too. I insisted that he take a few bucks extra for his trouble.
Actually, I asked him to get me two bottles, but he thinks he accidentally gave one away as a Christmas present to somebody else.

The product:
proxy.php

They only have the one aftershave product, so that's what they call it.
I am totally not alarmed by the guillotine on the label. :001_unsur
The plastic bottle resembles the larger bottles that some of their other products come in, but it's only 100 ml.

It has what they call their "T-4 Tonic Blend", also used in some of their other products.
"Witch Hazel Extract: Soothes tender skin
Nettle Leaf Extract: Natural astringent
Rosemary Extract: Moisturizing
Horsetail Root Extract: Antioxidant" [o_O that's a new one for me]

Ingredients:
  • Alcohol Denat
  • Aqua
  • Parfum
  • Bis-PEG-18 methyl Ester Dimethyl Silane
  • Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract [not bark?]
  • Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract
  • Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail Root) Extract
  • Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract
  • Benzophenone-4
  • PEG-7 Amodimethicone
  • Trideceth-10
  • Linalool
  • PEG-45M
  • Limonene
  • Benzyl Salicylate
  • Coumarin
  • Behentrimonium Chloride
  • Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone
  • Butylphenyl Methylproponal
  • Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin
  • Dimethicone [a species of silicone?]
  • Eugenol
  • Citral
  • Orange 4 (CI 15510)

What me think:
Alcohol may be the first ingredient, but I could barely feel it the couple of times I've used it.

It's the scent that I particularly like. Reuzel sez: "Bright citrus notes and hints of sandalwood offer a subtle but masculine scent". I detect a bit of soapy scent too. Not what I would call powdery, which I dislike. This aftershave has the most barbershop scent of any barbershop scent I've come across. It actually smells like a room that has the scents of half a dozen different products floating around.
Maybe a hint of stale cigar smoke too, but I could just be imagining that.;)

The only thing I dislike about it is that when I tried to use it in a small travel-size spray bottle, it just comes out as a narrow stream instead of a mist. :thumbdown Perhaps it has solid particles suspended in it that mess up the sprayer nozzle, and which would also explain the slight cloudiness.:thumbup:

Excellent review!! Thanks!!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'd buy that just for the label!

Think the French referred to the guillotine as "the National razor."

AA

This pompadour wearin' throw-back uses Reuzel hair products (Reuzel "Gray" Extreme Hold Matte Pomade, Reuzel "Blue" Strong Hold High Shine Pomade, Reuzel "Green" Grease-Based Pomade, Reuzel Grooming Tonic, and Reuzel Daily Shampoo) exclusively! Now that I have recently joined the wet shaving brotherhood, I will most definitely be picking up some Reuzel Aftershave from my barber at this week's cut!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I like the sound of this...but I have plenty of splashes and balms as it is.
...but you need this. It is a super slick aftershave splash. The alcohol is present but not pronounced. A little, very little, goes a long way. It does not leave your face with a feel of product all over it. The post feel is superb leaving your skin feeling naturally supple. Plus it has a guillotine on the label.

Top Bottom