What's new

Returning to SR, from shavettes

Hello All,
Long time stalker here. Inspired by rbscebu I ordered a Titan starter kit. In addition, I ordered a Theirs Issard from Superior Shaves, pre-honed, in case I screw up the Titan.

I had tried straights several years ago and did not like it. I had the distinct impression that they were not as sharp as DE 1/2 blade used in my shavettes. The razors were professionally honed and good quality, as I have no stones or anything, except a good quality leather and linen strop. I've been using shavettes of different types since then, with good results. I would love to be able to use a real straight, so I'm anxious to hear any tips you might have for making the transition. I'm hoping my improved technique learned via shavettes will transfer over to SR.

Also, I found a cheaper leather strop that I had coated with a green powder, but it's been several years now. Was this cr oxide ? Could it still be used, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance,
Alan NYC

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't think you easily get a SR to have an edge as keen as say a Feather DE blade in a shavette. It can be done but you need to be a rather lucky.

SR shaving is similar but different to shaving with a shavette. If you stick with SR shaving daily for a month or so, you may find that you enjoy SR shaving more, even with a slightly less keen edge.

As for your CrOx pasted leather strop, it should still work without any more paste needing to be applied. Many apply too much paste to their strop. Less is best.

With the Titan kit, please follow the instructions:

The edge produced on the Titan may not be as keen as what you will get from Superior Shave, but then again you are not forking out the big bucks for the Titan kit. The purpose of my recommendation of the Titan kit is that it works well for a beginner on a limited budget who doesn't have ready access to a reputable honemeister. It is not a substitute for an expensive SR professionally honed.

Yes, I totally understand the concept. I wanted both to see if I could feel the difference between them, and also use the Titan to practise my stropping technique, as its been awhile. Thanks for making the Titan kit public.

But in terms of shaving technique comparing shavette vs SR, anything particular I should be aware of ?

Thanks

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
But in terms of shaving technique comparing shavette vs SR, anything particular I should be aware of ?

Thanks
I only shave with a shavette about 5 or 6 times a year, just to keep my hand in. Hopefully others can better address your question.

I only shave with a shavette about 5 or 6 times a year, just to keep my hand in. Hopefully others can better address your question.
Hello All,
Long time stalker here. Inspired by rbscebu I ordered a Titan starter kit. In addition, I ordered a Theirs Issard from Superior Shaves, pre-honed, in case I screw up the Titan.

I had tried straights several years ago and did not like it. I had the distinct impression that they were not as sharp as DE 1/2 blade used in my shavettes. The razors were professionally honed and good quality, as I have no stones or anything, except a good quality leather and linen strop. I've been using shavettes of different types since then, with good results. I would love to be able to use a real straight, so I'm anxious to hear any tips you might have for making the transition. I'm hoping my improved technique learned via shavettes will transfer over to SR.

Also, I found a cheaper leather strop that I had coated with a green powder, but it's been several years now. Was this cr oxide ? Could it still be used, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance,
Alan NYC
I shaved with a feather ac ss for many years and then started with a sr . I found the sr easier to use and much more forgiving . I started with a Parker .....then the ss before Itook the plunge ....you should have no problems with the transition,.....don't let it scare you ...the technique is very similar......starting cold with a sr is not so easy ....you should have enough muscle memory to succeed..give it a go! Make sure you have a shave ready razor to begin with ....makes all the difference have fun . Pete

I shaved with a feather ac ss for many years and then started with a sr . I found the sr easier to use and much more forgiving . I started with a Parker .....then the ss before Itook the plunge ....you should have no problems with the transition,.....don't let it scare you ...the technique is very similar......starting cold with a sr is not so easy ....you should have enough muscle memory to succeed..give it a go! Make sure you have a shave ready razor to begin with ....makes all the difference have fun . Pete
Cogar .....the sr 3 inch blade is a big difference but can be dealt with by slow and steady passes too aclimate your self with the size .....small steps as they say until you build confidence nothing ventured nothing gained .....you're not going to die ....you have your own experience to rely on and trust in `! It truly is more forgiving and easier then a feather ss or a shavette . Jump in you' do fine !

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I use a shavette a couple of times a year just for the heck of it but I find a regular straight is much easier to shave with and yes, your skills with the shavette will easily transfer to a traditional straight razor.

My opinion, you’ll still feel like the traditional isn’t as sharp as the de. For me that’s kind of the point. I learned with an inexpensive shavette, got a straight and came to the same conclusion as you. Fought with “shave ready” razors and learning to hone trying to get that “sharp as a Feather blade but so much smoother” edge. I won’t deny it exists, but I can’t do it. I can do sharp, or more comfortable, but not both. The traditional may not seem as sharp, and it takes me 2 1/2 passes instead of 1 1/2 for the same result, but it’s more forgiving and comfortable.

Be careful when comparing edges from straight razors and Feather blades. Feather (other manufacturers as well) blades have PTFE (teflon) to reduce friction and give a feeling they are sharper and more comfortable.

I found the transition from using shavettes/barberettes (Western and kamisori types) using half-DE blades and half Dovo long blades, to using traditional straight and kamisori razors, to be quite straightforward with a natural transfer of developing skills. I much prefer the experience and feel of using traditional razors, but still use the shavettes in rotation and use a cheap shavette or DE safety razor when travelling (less to fear from a hotel room cleaner dinging a disposable blade). I have always found a half-DE bladed shavette to be more aggressive and more prone to nicking, due to the short blade length and sharp blade ends. Getting into honing blades has been an enjoyable part of my ongoing, seemingly endless, fall down the rabbit hole...

I was hoping to find the same thing, but my razor doesn't even cut arm hair with the blade on the skin. On my cheek, it hardly cuts at all.
Going to get it professionally honed and give it one more try. Don't want to get into trying to hone it myself...I've enough rabbit holes already.

Was it shave ready ? And who honed it ? Don't over think this thing...shave ready slow and steady have fun ....rely on your 70 + years of skill and maturity .... a good honed razor will do you right stick with it ! Don't change your shave habit cause its a new razor ...rely on your muscle memory ! Pete

I'm sending them both to Nelson Monday...my last and greatest hope!
Thanks for the encouragement.
Maturity is highly overrated.

Then stick with muscle memory....I'm seventy five and made the transition and so can you young squirt ! And let me know what you think of the hone job from Nelson ,,,,I emailed him but havn't sent my razor yet .....he gets some high marks from forum folks . pete

I'm waiting for my new razors to return, but speaking of shavettes...I have a Focus Slim Al which is beautifully made but I find the blade exposure too much, making it easier to gets small nicks. I'm using Derby DE blades split and I cork the edge before use, but maybe if I tried a DE blade that's not as sharp? In other words, a mediocre blade for a DE razor shave might be better for this use.
Any thoughts?
Alan

Alan.....blade exposure is the killer with shavettes .....I tried 2 or 3 and xposure stopped me in my tracks until I gor a SS witn pro guard then pro blades ....the SS is such a well made razor it put the shavettes to shame . I think with the skill sets that you have aquired ....you can enjoy your experience with your new razor ......Take the challenge and have fun with it .....I think most SR users will agree.... and you will appreciate your accomplisment and pat yourself on the back ! Good luck ..... we're all rooting for you !! Pete

Last edited:
Hi Pete,
The short answer is that its too early to tell...been busy and only tried the newly honed razors twice so far. Here's some initial impressions:
The razors came back from Nelson sooo much better than they were before. Even so, it is clearly not as sharp as a modern day DE blade in a DE razor or shavette. It requires more passes than I'm used to. The actual technique is the same but a tad more weight or pressure is needed to cut the whiskers. IMHO it's smoother basically because it's not as sharp.
On the other hand, no blood was seen anywhere, so I'd much rather have a so-so shave than a face full of nicks and cuts. And it's so cool to actually shave with such a beautiful instrument.

I'll be traveling the next several weeks and won't be taking the straights with me, but I'll restart on my return. It's so nice of you to inquire and I will post again once I have more experience.

On a totally separate note, I'm reassessing the need for a pre-shave oil, which I had been using intermittently before. I'm not convinced it makes a difference. Does shaving with a straight change the utility of a pre-shave step? Does it make it easier in some way ?

Thanks, Alan

There are no arguments here as to what is sharper, what is more comfortable, etc. With a straight razor you can pick the grind you like. A hollow will flex and ride over enlarged skin pores. A wedge is not all that flexible. You can hone to 10k or 30K ceramic. Some feel 30k is too sharp for shaving, may leave weepers. You can hone on a large variety of natural stones. You can finish with your favorite stone and touch up as needed. And you can strop shell cordovan or kangaroo.

The point is this. With a straight razor, you can home in on that perfect shave just for you and nobody else. You can adjust your shave angle. You can't get that out of a box.

Top Bottom