What's new

Returning to Fountain Pens

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Pilot Petit1s. ...

Not sure if there's a converter that fits these little things, so I plan on refilling the cartridges with a syringe.

I have a couple that I got from Jetpens ... they are good pens, as you say. I use mine as "eyedropper" pens and they work well for that (as do the Kaweco ... just don't "eyedropper" a metal pen!). That really increases the ink capacity!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Given that I’m a Neophyte to bottled ink, but I was shocked when I opened the bottle of Noodler’s Black Eel. It was full to the brim. There wasn’t any air in the bottle at all. Perhaps that is the way they all are, or perhaps the bottle I received was an outlier.
Noodlers is famous for that. Perhaps infamous. I can appreciate Nathan Tardiff's desire to give the customer their money's worth and maximize the ink in the bottle. But if you can't even put the nib in to fill without displacing and spilling ink, its probably not that helpful.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Noodlers is famous for that. Perhaps infamous. I can appreciate Nathan Tardiff's desire to give the customer their money's worth and maximize the ink in the bottle. But if you can't even put the nib in to fill without displacing and spilling ink, its probably not that helpful.
I wasn’t aware of this i recently Received noodlers yellow highlighter ink and as soon as I opened the top I noticed that it was filled to the brim. I could see that might be a big problem if I didn’t have the bottle on a flat table. I didn’t spill any. I’m usually careful opening any ink anyway so I don’t think this would be a large problem. Also there was no issue dipping the nib in and loading the ink. On balance I’m cool with a “full” bottle.
they should add to the label “10% more” like shampoo bottles. 😁🤪😂🤣

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I was wondering what the collective wisdom is on two topics generally regarding introduction to fountain pens.
1. The worlds best ink?
(Brand / quality not necessarily color)
2. Can bottled ink go “bad” over time?
Thanks in advance for any info / feedback
🧩

1. Many people love Jacques Herbin inks. Diamine would also be near the top. They've been around since the mid-1800's.

2. Most modern inks should last indefinitely as long as they're not kept in extreme conditions.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
1. Many people love Jacques Herbin inks. Diamine would also be near the top. They've been around since the mid-1800's.

2. Most modern inks should last indefinitely as long as they're not kept in extreme conditions.
Thanks. I’m looking to buy something interesting and these are two great suggestions.
Thanks for answering the age issue. I have several bottles at the office I need to dig out.

tankerjohn

I was wondering what the collective wisdom is on two topics generally regarding introduction to fountain pens.
1. The worlds best ink?
🧩
1. Cop-out answer: Impossible to say. Too many variables. It depends on your purpose and the properties of the pen. Washable or permanent? Business or personal use? Wet or dry? Saturated or shading?

Non-cop-out answer: Waterman Serenity Blue

2. What @Lad said

tankerjohn

Herbin has been around since the 1700s. Just sayin...

Nice selection.

Over the years I've had it, I've been so pleased with my simple Kaweco Sport Classic in black plastic (fine nib) that it has become my work-horse pen. I edit books, pen on paper, so my pen gets a work-out. Never stalls or skips, and writes at once, even if I leave it unused for a few days. Smoother nib than my Lamy Safari or even my "grail pen," a sterling silver Montegrappa.

I'm lazy, so I use cartridges. I always liked the violet ink the generations of French schoolchildren used, and I think it is J. Herbin Violette Pensee, which Jetpens carries in carts. It's the only ink I use in my Kaweco.

Have fun. Those green inks look good.

I picked up a platinum preppy recently. I can't quite believe you can get such a good, solid performer at such a low price. You'd think it would be cheap junk but it's really good. Eye-dropper convertible.

You're right. I meant to say Diamine originated in the 1800's. Knew Herbin was older, but wasn't sure when they began. I've never tried them- do you have a favorite Herbin ink?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Non-cop-out answer: ESS
I’m a beginner status and definitely a infrequent user. I would never use iron gall inks.
1. Cop-out answer: Impossible to say. Too many variables. It depends on your purpose and the properties of the pen. Washable or permanent? Business or personal use? Wet or dry? Saturated or shading?

Non-cop-out answer: Waterman Serenity Blue

2. What @Lad said
Waterman is definitely affordable! Thanks.
You're right. I meant to say Diamine originated in the 1800's. Knew Herbin was older, but wasn't sure when they began. I've never tried them- do you have a favorite Herbin ink?
What inks do you frequently use?

tankerjohn

Non-cop-out answer: ESS
You keep reminding me I need to order some. Just to lean on my cop-out answer, I would say ESS is superior to Waterman for someone looking for permanency. But I wouldn’t give it to kids or use it in a very dry writing pen.

tankerjohn

Gosh, I’ve tried a few samples. Herbin tends to be wet, but not saturated. I think it is somewhat unique in that regard. In the end, the only whole I bottle I bought was Perle Noir, so I guess that’s my favorite. It’s a nice, dark and easy flowing basic black.

Reactions: Lad
I'll vouch for the Herbin as being wet. Just picked up a bottle of Jacques Herbin Bleu de minuit and that ink leaves puddles that take 20 - 30 seconds to dry, in my use. I love it. It's an ink that I would not use if cramped for time e.g. note-taking in a conference meeting or meeting of any sorts or jotting down notes in class. But if time is not important then personally I love the ink and love to watch flow on paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lad
1. The worlds best ink?
🧩

1. You've been given many good answers to both of these questions and I think the cop-out answer is one of the best as there really are so many things that might matter including paper type and beyond.
- By volume, my ink stash would tell you that I like Diamine the most. Some of the ones that I use the most are Earl Grey, Sherwood Green, Midnight, Ancient Copper, and Eclipse.
- I really like the Pilot Iroshizuku inks particularly Tsuki-Yo, Tsukushi, Yama Guri,Chiku Rin, and Kiri-Same
- There is a special place in my heart for Pilot Blue-Black
- Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown is one of my favorite inks for grading.
- KWZ Green Gold #2 might be one of my favorite inks ever. I also really like Grey Plum
- I like many Sailor inks but the change to smaller bottles at the same price makes many of them less appealing to me.
- Depending on my mood there are a bunch of inks I would include in this growing list because I have a problem.

2. Agree with inks lasting a long time as long as it's stored relatively well and you don't introduce any slimy/fuzzy growing things into it. Also, depending on packaging and how quickly you cap it/how well it seals you could conceivably get some evaporation which might impact concentrations of components which could impact performance.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
1. You've been given many good answers to both of these questions and I think the cop-out answer is one of the best as there really are so many things that might matter including paper type and beyond.
- By volume, my ink stash would tell you that I like Diamine the most. Some of the ones that I use the most are Earl Grey, Sherwood Green, Midnight, Ancient Copper, and Eclipse.
- I really like the Pilot Iroshizuku inks particularly Tsuki-Yo, Tsukushi, Yama Guri,Chiku Rin, and Kiri-Same
- There is a special place in my heart for Pilot Blue-Black
- Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown is one of my favorite inks for grading.
- KWZ Green Gold #2 might be one of my favorite inks ever. I also really like Grey Plum
- I like many Sailor inks but the change to smaller bottles at the same price makes many of them less appealing to me.
- Depending on my mood there are a bunch of inks I would include in this growing list because I have a problem.

2. Agree with inks lasting a long time as long as it's stored relatively well and you don't introduce any slimy/fuzzy growing things into it. Also, depending on packaging and how quickly you cap it/how well it seals you could conceivably get some evaporation which might impact concentrations of components which could impact performance.
Thanks so much for this feedback and your experience. Very insightful and helpful. I’m zeroing in on Diamine oxblood and Herbin 1670 Émeraude de Chivor (Emerald of Chivor). Later on I’ll post a list of what I have now but everything to date is blue. Blue black. Hence my attempt to branch out. I have a tendency to not clean my pens (reforming) so my reticence to go beyond blue and not iron gall.
1670. 🕵🏼‍♀️

I really enjoying this thread and learning a lot.

If you are going to change to a different ink, is it as simple as running the piston down to expel the ink that is in your pen and then running it back up to load the new ink?

Top Bottom