What's new

Returning to Fountain Pens

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I really enjoying this thread and learning a lot.

If you are going to change to a different ink, is it as simple as running the piston down to expel the ink that is in your pen and then running it back up to load the new ink?
Well you could...but you’ll probably mix the inks. After you expel the ink, a lot of residual ink will remain in the nib, feed, and piston. I recommend flushing and drying the pen before changing inks.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The company was founded in 1670, but didn’t start making ink until 1700. I’ll split you the difference :wink2:

Or 30 years in the making?
“Herbin is the oldest name in pen inks in the world. "La Perle des Encres" (The Jewel of Inks") was created in 1700. "L'Encre des Vaisseaux" ("Ship's Ink") was produced at an unknown date before then.”
I guess we’ll never know for sure. 😎

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Well you could...but you’ll probably mix the inks. After you expel the ink, a lot of residual ink will remain in the nib, feed, and piston. I recommend flushing and drying the pen before changing inks.
Another rookie mistake made by me. Fortunately the residual wasn’t much and seemed to dissipate in the bottle after awhile.

Are you judging by what you have the most ink of ... or which bottles are emptiest?

Good question. Diamine is certainly the brand I have the most of. It is also most likely the brand I have used the most volume of. If we are talking about which individual bottle is emptiest it is probably either KWZ Green Gold #2, Noodler's Black, Noodler's Habanero, Diamine Midnight, or maybe Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown.

-Noodler's Air-Corp Blue Black is a more recent acquisition that is currently getting used rapidly.

Sorry if that doesn't really narrow it down much, and I am too lazy to actually go look so that is all just a guess.

Agree with @tankerjohn regarding flushing and drying. There are a few inks that can have unfortunate interactions, in fact, Rohrer & Klingner Sepia has a warning that while other R&K inks can be mixed together, they do not recommend mixing Sepia with their other offerings.

Top Bottom