What's new

Returning to Alum (The right way)

Recenlty I've found myself going back to using an Alum block; And if feels like the first time. I returned to wet shaving about four or five years ago from electric. When I started out using a single edge. the block gave me some useful post shave feedback, but I found that as my technique got better, I had less of a 'need' for that and I found it to be drying to my somewhat sensitive skin. I am chagrined to say that I only found out recently that proper use is to run the block under cold water and pass it around my face for no more than 10 seconds, then quickly rinse well with cold water. The antiseptic property and closing the pores works well without drying the skin. I rarely use after shaves with alchohol, so after patting dry, I use some kind of balm. Almost every day back using the block. Anyone else use it regularly?

I use mine regularly , my technique is cold water rinse with the alum ran under cold water , I think this is a great way to end the shave. I’ll let the alum dry and I’ll typically jump back in the shower to rinse off before applying any sort of aftershave.

Yup, use it after every shave. I use the crystal brand. I also use the crystal liquid form for deodorant, stopped using the solid as I kept dropping them. I know I’m going to drop this one too :blush:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Every day for me. After my last pass I rinse with cold water, pass the alum block under the cold water, and rub over my face. Almost immediately I rinse the alum off with cold water. Then I apply aftershave and balm.

I use the Alum bloc once and awhile. I don't need to be reminded that my technique sucks...

Seriously though, I find that the alum block tends to bring the red out on my neck. I don't get that when I use witch hazel. No sting either. I do use alum when I get a nick or a weeper though.

Top Bottom