What's new

returning horn scales to former luster without dismantling razor?

I have a decent Packwood with a nice patina, no rust, and a very faint Masonic etching on its face. In other words, the blade itself needs no restoration.

The scales are in decent shape, with no bugbites, and the pinning is solid. However, the surface of the horn has a slightly raised grainy texture to it that I'd like to smooth down and polish up. Is this something I can do without taking the razor apart, and if so, recommended progression of sandpaper/buffing? I've been considering the purchase of a desktop buffer for something like this, so if should go that route, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
-Tim

most soak in neatsfoot oil for a couple of days and then sand. usually a progression up to 2000 grit w/d gives a good shine. I think I would start withb 320 or 400 and go from there.

Metal polish with a micro cloth as long as the horn is not to far gone will put a mirror shine on your scales then you can soak for 24 hours in neatsfoot oil.

With these suggestions and some from Alfredo via PM, I sanded through the following progression: 220, 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000. Finished it all off with some White Diamond polish, and I must say, very nice! I'd say the scales are at about 95%; it's obvious that I need to unpin the razor to get the areas around the pins to the same level of refinement as the rest of the razor. Then they'll be at 100%. Since my success rate for unpinning razors without breaking the scales is mixed, I'll save further refinement for some time in the future.

Was so impressed, I did another set of scales in the same condition since I had all the gear out. Same very satisfactory (to me) results. Both are soaking in neetsfoot oil now.

Thanks for all the help!

If you are only worried about hurting the scales and not trying to save the original washers or anything. Get you a set of flush cutters. Tape the scales off around the pins and cut the heads off. Then I take a old drill bit and turn it over and tap the pin out.

Top Bottom