What's new

Return Of The Gempire

I shaved with a vintage Gem, well actually an Ever Ready acquired through the BST and shown here -

attachment.php

I used a Ted Pella blade, also acquired through the BST, and whipped up lather in a bowl using Lider Shaving Cream this morning following the usual prep.

The result? BBS in two passes on the face, but some rough spots on the neck. I was very impressed with the shave.

I can now understand the love for the Gems.

Congratulations! You're now well on the way to a GEM RAD - one is never enough. Beautiful razor by the way. That's one of my favourite 1912 models - the ornate chrome.

Welcome aboard! I tried my first 1912 a couple of weeks ago to good effect.

This morning I took on the dreaded Micromatic (open comb) and I'm sold! I'd be on a Micromatic binge if only they varied more. As far as I can tell there are two handle styles, two plating colors and two head styles (open comb and Clog Pruf).

So I'd recommend a Micromatic for your next try.

- Chris

One of the last razors I tried before going into shavettes and straights was a micromatic. Also one of the sweetest and gentlest razors to give such outstanding results.

Welcome aboard! I tried my first 1912 a couple of weeks ago to good effect.

This morning I took on the dreaded Micromatic (open comb) and I'm sold! I'd be on a Micromatic binge if only they varied more. As far as I can tell there are two handle styles, two plating colors and two head styles (open comb and Clog Pruf).

So I'd recommend a Micromatic for your next try.

- Chris

Actually, I think you'll find more variations than that. Besides the antenna handle and the standard bullet tip handle there is also a bullet tip with an ivory TTO knob. And there are at least three head type differences. The closed safety bar variety is different than the clog pruf.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I just got my first Gem today; a clog pruf. Spell-check doesn't like that one!

If I hadn't already shaved I'd have tried it. I just hope the blades I've got are up to the challenge!

What a coincidence! I just shaved with a 1912 Gem for the first time today too! Same results as Lou, BBS everywhere except for the neck. Overall I was very impressed. And you have to love the sound it makes, much more satisfying than a DE razor. Sounds a lot like a straight come to think of it. :biggrin:

Can't wait to try the other two I have! :001_smile

What a coincidence! I just shaved with a 1912 Gem for the first time today too! Same results as Lou, BBS everywhere except for the neck. Overall I was very impressed. And you have to love the sound it makes, much more satisfying than a DE razor. Sounds a lot like a straight come to think of it. :biggrin:

Can't wait to try the other two I have! :001_smile

Which other two do you have?

I've a bunch... Thanks for reminding me, time to take one out of its barbicide bath!

Which other two do you have?

I've a bunch... Thanks for reminding me, time to take one out of its barbicide bath!

Another 1912, which oddly enough bares a striking resemblance to the one in your first post and a Gem Junior, which is in beautiful condition.

Top Bottom