What's new

Return from the brink of RAD

This time last year I was considering a 2018 no buy. I made it a week into January. I could do a Wolfman only 2019. I have plenty of soap and blades. Razors too, truth be told.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Love reading y’all’s stories. It’s a little like listening to Dr. Laura in the radio - I might have a bad case of RAD, but not as bad as that guy. Just kidding.

Since getting into this hobby and joining B&B a few years ago, I feel like I’ve been very fortunate to acquire or borrow many wonderful razors through buying, tradings, PIFs, and pass arounds. And I’ve sold, loaned, PIFed, or traded a fair number as well. To the best of my recollection, it’s something like this:

In the den:
Merkur 47c Engineturned
Merkur 1904 OC
Merkur 37c Slant
Fatip Grande
192? New Improved New Standard
1941 Ranger Tech
1947 Super Speed
1956 Red Tip

Out On loan:
Merkur Sledgehammer
Prewar Tech

PIFed, sold or traded:
Merkur 34c HD
Merkur 38r
Merkur Progress
EJ DE89
Postwar Gold Tech
1967 Super Speed

Borrowed at one time or another:
Fatboy
Late-40’s Aristocrat
Old
New LC
Delta Echo “Steampunk” prewar Tech

So I’d say I’ve used just about every type of razor, with the exception of modern stainless steel. But I enjoy my current selection to the extent that I don’t feel I’m really missing anything without a Gamechanger or Ikon in the lineup. In fact, for a while there I was mainly just using the Red Tip, and I seriously considered selling all the rest. But then I found the Ranger, and really liked it. And then the New Improved. The RAD is back with a vengeance.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have far too many razors but I find it difficult to stop. I should but I cannot. I have calmed down somewhat but if I see a razor in a shop or online for the right price, it comes to me for a good home. I normally use my razors for one week and then start a new week with another one and I do the same with blades. I should go through and thin down and get some of the ones that are not being used back out in the field and being used. Like everything, one day.

When it comes to soaps I tend to really have trouble passing up scents i like (even if ive been tokd they aren’t amazing).

Razors though? A lot if them I would reslly like to try and most of those are just look amazing in the counter. I keep comparing what they could do compared to my EJDE89 and I always end up talking nyself out of buying it. Thats a good thing I suppose. Hopefully thatll be the way when I start regularly using a straight.

My collections been growing, I'm now up to 14. I've recently added a really nice '62 1st quarter slim, Parker Variant 37 and a Merkur 37c. The 37c was just received yesterday and hasn't been used yet. I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Top Bottom