What's new

Retro 51 “P-51”

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
For you WW2 aviation buffs out there...
09F82D8F-EBB5-4A7C-950E-14707118B3E4.jpeg

Initial thoughts - cool pen! I really appreciate Retro 51 putting out attractive, themed FPs at an affordable price. This P-51 pen is particularly well done.
A8B7F0B7-17D7-42F5-AF36-55E5B0DC4B1B.jpeg

Design - the aircraft details are great and the etching has a nice 3D effect. It’s supposed to represent the famous “Red Tail” paint scheme of the Tuskegee Airmen. I kinda wish that Retro 51 had used a more conventional cigar-shaped body since it would fit the aircraft esthetic better. I’m not super keen on the knurling on the cap. It’s functional on the rollerball version of the Tornado, but just decorative on the FP and doesn’t work with the aircraft theme. Also, the black section is functional but would be nicer if it matched the body or reprised the nose art from the cap. But I also understand all that would add to the cost. For what it is, it looks fantastic.
9734F472-28F6-40B2-914B-AD722D15AD46.jpeg

Function - the nib is a JoWo #6, so fairly generic, but attractive and writes beautifully. It’s tuned perfectly out of the box. This medium lays down a nice wet line but doesn’t leak in the cap. I like that. Otherwise, the nib is not particularly exciting, but will be easy to swap later if I want to. As you might guess, it’s a cartridge/converter filler. Par for the course at this pricepoint. The body is metal (brass probably?); it has a little heft, but not too much. The pen is a good length unposted and long, but usable, posted. My only gripe is the section is on the narrow side.

Value - fantastic! I purchased this pen from Bertram’s Inkwell for $52, the best price I have seen. They usually go for around $60, which is still pretty good for the quality construction and unique style. The JoWo nib is standard issue on boutique pens costing much, much more. The pen came with two cartridges and a converter. Pretty good for a touch over fifty bones.

Overall - I’m really happy to add this pen to my collection. It’s creative and fun, but also a little bit frustrating. I can see how with just a little bit more effort, Retro 51 could easily take this idea “next level”. Start with a cigar-shaped body that actually looks like a fuselage.
A3320519-B552-4905-A874-1A47324C0FA7.jpeg

The P-51 is a nice compliment to the Tigershark rollerball I got last month. These two have me pretty well covered for nerding out on WW2 history. The only thing that would be cooler is a tank-themed fountain pen. Hmm, olive paint with white stenciled star and “US ARMY”. Blacked out trim and nib. Oh, it looks rad. Come on Retro 51, pleeeease!

and you could eyedropper it once you find your favorite color. and yeah... that knurled cap is just wrong altogether, past the clip. they should have done a nose cone, color coded appropriately to the theme. and for a limited edition, props too, that you can take off and play with like a fidget spinner during a meeting.

I got one when they came out, mainly due to the acid etched detail. The paint on the end could be cleaner. The only real gripes I have is that over time the pen doesn't line up as the threads cut into the cap liner. I have some leaking but I think It is due to a converter that doesn't seat well.

All and all a great pen for the price.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The P51 ... the real P51 ... is one of the most iconically styled pens of the 20th Century.

Had they chosen a different name for the current pen, they would not have drawn the obvious comparison to a much better looking pen.

The P51 ... the real P51 ... is one of the most iconically styled pens of the 20th Century.

Had they chosen a different name for the current pen, they would not have drawn the obvious comparison to a much better looking pen.

Uhm, They styled this to be reminiscent/in tribute to the P51 Mustang WW2 airplane... So... The name is appropriate. I don't think they were even concerned about being compared to another pen. The REAL P51 is iconic as well - and fitting for a tribute pen.

tankerjohn

Uhm, They styled this to be reminiscent/in tribute to the P51 Mustang WW2 airplane... So... The name is appropriate. I don't think they were even concerned about being compared to another pen. The REAL P51 is iconic as well - and fitting for a tribute pen.
This! I hear you @Doc4 - the Parker 51 is indeed iconic. You’ll get no argument from me there. But other than being nominally inspired by the same aircraft, those two pens have nothing in common.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

Function - the nib is a JoWo #6, so fairly generic, but attractive and writes beautifully.

Value - fantastic! I purchased this pen from Bertram’s Inkwell for $52, the best price I have seen. They usually go for around $60, which is still pretty good for the quality construction

Overall - I’m really happy to add this pen to my collection. It’s creative and fun, but also a little bit frustrating. I can see how with just a little bit more effort, Retro 51 could easily take this idea “next level”. Start with a cigar-shaped body that actually looks like a fuselage.

This! I hear you @Doc4 - the Parker 51 is indeed iconic. You’ll get no argument from me there. But other than being nominally inspired by the same aircraft, those two pens have nothing in common.

I've quoted a few brief comments from the OP review. The takeaway I get is that "it's a good-value pen at the price point that writes well, with good-but-not-great styling that could have been a lot more attractive with a few tweaks ... but for a shade under $60, who's complaining?" Hey, a good-value $60 pen? That's good. Thank you for the review, and thank you for sharing both the good and the "other side" of the pen rather than just giving us "OMG it's the bestest pen evarr!" You put a lot of effort into this and it IS appreciated.

I'm glad the OP likes the pen and no doubt it will be a well-loved member of his desktop crew for years to come! Excellent. And I'm glad to see another addition to the key area of the market: good-value pens above the "cheap" Metropolitan/LAMYsafari range and below the "expensive/luxury" range above.

To my mind, the decision to use the P-51 as their inspiration was as much in homage to the famous pen as it was to the famous fighter plane ... I can't see them not knowing this ... and in that regard I think they come in a distant second. IMHO they would have been far better off to pick a different "iconic WWII fighter" as their inspiration. Corsair? Spitfire? Hellcat? Surely they could have picked an inspiration that would keep a significant sector of their intended marked from having the initial reaction of "what, no hooded nib? That's no P-51!".

If I spent all my time pumping iron in the gym, good for me. But if I then go around telling everyone to call me "The Rock", y'all would be ...

proxy.php

I guess I'm kind of agreeing with Tankerjohn about the styling decisions letting the pen down a bit. I don't doubt him, though, that it's a good quality pen. It's a YMMV sort of thing, and if we all had exactly the same tastes and opinions, what a boring world it would be.

Enjoy your pen!

to be a bit pedantic about it, I don't think (other) owners or fans of a Parker 51 will be offended by a pen that's named and styled to reflect an aircraft. or they shouldn't.

tankerjohn

proxy.php

I've quoted a few brief comments from the OP review. The takeaway I get is that "it's a good-value pen at the price point that writes well, with good-but-not-great styling that could have been a lot more attractive with a few tweaks ... but for a shade under $60, who's complaining?" Hey, a good-value $60 pen? That's good. Thank you for the review, and thank you for sharing both the good and the "other side" of the pen rather than just giving us "OMG it's the bestest pen evarr!" You put a lot of effort into this and it IS appreciated.

I'm glad the OP likes the pen and no doubt it will be a well-loved member of his desktop crew for years to come! Excellent. And I'm glad to see another addition to the key area of the market: good-value pens above the "cheap" Metropolitan/LAMYsafari range and below the "expensive/luxury" range above.
Thanks! Glad you liked the review. I think you got the gist of my comments.

To my mind, the decision to use the P-51 as their inspiration was as much in homage to the famous pen as it was to the famous fighter plane ... I can't see them not knowing this ... and in that regard I think they come in a distant second.
Ehhh, actually, judging by the design, I think Retro had zero intention of aping the Parker 51. Now if you do want a latter day Parker 51 wannabe, complete with hooded nib and everything, modern Esterbrook has you covered. :rolleyes5

IMHO they would have been far better off to pick a different "iconic WWII fighter" as their inspiration. Corsair? Spitfire? Hellcat?
As a matter of fact, Retro 51 did a P-40 pen first - the Tigershark pictured in my OP - based on the famous "Flying Tigers". Then they did a B-17 pen. Then a Spitfire that is only available in the UK (go figure). And even a pen based on Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Vega. The rub is that all of those are rollerballs, which is Retro 51's main thing. The P-51 is the first they released as a fountain pen, although it too is available as a rollerball. (Believe me, if they ever release a Tigershark fountain pen - instabuy!) But more than that, I think Retro 51 was equally inspired by the Tuskegee Airmen. Even though the Airmen flew other aircraft, they are most closely associated with P-51s.

Surely they could have picked an inspiration that would keep a significant sector of their intended marked from having the initial reaction of "what, no hooded nib? That's no P-51!".
I suspect that the types of consumers who buy Retro 51s aren't vintage pen aficionados, as ironic as that sounds. So, no, I don't think Retro 51 considered they might be alienating a large portion of their market. Moreover, many people new to the hobby, especially younger folks, are intimidated by vintage pens and don't really know much about Parker 51s or any other pens that are iconic to the fountain pen enthusiasts that have been around for a while. Shocking, I know.

If I spent all my time pumping iron in the gym, good for me. But if I then go around telling everyone to call me "The Rock", y'all would be ...

proxy.php
It's okay, Doc. Take a deep breath. Everything's going to be alright. I admire your passion.

I guess I'm kind of agreeing with Tankerjohn about the styling decisions letting the pen down a bit. I don't doubt him, though, that it's a good quality pen. It's a YMMV sort of thing, and if we all had exactly the same tastes and opinions, what a boring world it would be.

Enjoy your pen!

You becha! :thumbup1:

tankerjohn

Holy crap! They did it - the Sherman tank pen!

3ECCCBEF-6EE0-4559-9CD5-1F9E88BD43DB.jpeg

So that’ll be in my pen mug pretty soon here. It’s cool. Not exactly what I would have done; the tread on the top is a little weird. But otherwise, the design is great. Too bad it’s not a fountain pen.

@Doc4 will be pleased to know Retro also released a Corsair fountain pen. Should be no Parker 51 issues with that one.

Top Bottom