What's new

Retirement Towns

Howdy,

For a long time thought I wanted to move someplace warmer. Thing is, I dislike humidity as much, maybe more than snow.

I have made trips to FL, the Carolinas, Virginia. May just stick around downstate MI. Dunno.

Thinking a smaller town might be preferable. Must haves include good grocery shopping, a walkable downtown, a bookstore, farmers market.

What about you? Anyone relocate at 67?

Last edited:
I'd worry about health care accessibility as well in moving to lesser populated areas. I like city living but i'm tired of having see-able hear-able neighbours, i'm think i'm ready for a change too.
dave

I'd worry about health care accessibility as well in moving to lesser populated areas. I like city living but i'm tired of having see-able hear-able neighbours, i'm think i'm ready for a change too.
dave

Good point; as we age don't want to be more than a 20 minute drive to an ER.

My wife and I have targeted anywhere from northern Georgia to Southern Virginia, as well as the western side of North Carolina and northwestern portion of South Carolina. We prefer a small town with an emergency care facility nearby. The cost of living is a huge advantage in these areas compared to the high taxes here in Upstate NY, land and homes are cheaper, and the growing season is longer (I would like a large garden).

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I retired at 60 and moved to SE Florida. The humidity there is very high. At the age of 72 my wife and I moved to AZ. For most of the year the humidity is VERY low - less than 15%. However, during June and July the temperature is quite high. We happen to like living out here.

We made several trips out here and checked out the weather during the various seasons. We also checked out all of the cultural and entertainment options.

Please move to Illinois, we need help! :001_302: Presently we lead the nation in... people leaving the state due to high taxes. It is a hoot to see the governors from Indiana, Iowa, and Wisconsin running ads. They thank our governor for encouraging tax payers to move to their states and contribute to their economy. Goodness!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mac:
If its the humidity (100% around here), you don't like...Louisiana (born & raised is East Lansing, MI), I believe may not be a good choice.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"That's one nice thing about a small town. You get a chance to do a lot of different things". Mitch Kosht

Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and parts of California.

California has the best climate but due to it's way of doing business it is the most unattractive places to live. I lived there from 1954 to 1972. It was nice then but lately the population has grown to the point of exceeding resources.

Sedona region of Arizona is nice but more desert like. Flagstaff is nice but snows in winter.

L.A. used to have the only Mediterranean climate in the US but that has changed and it is more desert now.

When I lived in L.A. we did not have ac or central heating. It never got hot or cold.

Last edited:
Mac:
If its the humidity (100% around here), you don't like...Louisiana (born & raised is East Lansing, MI), I believe may not be a good choice.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"That's one nice thing about a small town. You get a chance to do a lot of different things". Mitch Kosht

Ft. Polk LA 1969 - 1970.

Near E Lansing is Mason. Cute town! I drove through there a few days ago.

My wife and I have targeted anywhere from northern Georgia to Southern Virginia, as well as the western side of North Carolina and northwestern portion of South Carolina. We prefer a small town with an emergency care facility nearby. The cost of living is a huge advantage in these areas compared to the high taxes here in Upstate NY, land and homes are cheaper, and the growing season is longer (I would like a large garden).

Blacksburg VA is nice!

Easly, SC is nice, but may be too big for what you want. It's essentially an exurb of Greenville. Maybe check out some of the nearby smaller towns?

Murphy, NC might work. It has a walkable downtown area with some lovely art galleries/studios, shops, etc. I was pleasantly surprised.

I moved from northern Ohio to California back in 2005. Takes 5 years to acclimate to the weather. Now it is 75 and we wear light weight jackets. It is freezing cold when it is in the low 60s and the seat warmers go on. The AC is set at 75-77.

Now compare that to Ohio. AC set at 65-68. Seat warmers go on in the 30s and maybe a lightweight jacket in the 60s.

But no snow so you drive a nice car and not something rusted out. Summer tires year round. And a couple of raindrops is a hurricane. Oh yea you also wash your car daily or every few days. For $7 at the car wash compared to $40 in Ohio. Welcome to the West.

I've lived in Seattle for 37 years, and have always loved it. I used to think about moving to a "better" climate for retirement, but the older I get the more I like the temperate climate here. I also like the city better all the time (although it sure is pricey). I suspect I'll end up staying when I retire in the next year or so.

Easly, SC is nice, but may be too big for what you want. It's essentially an exurb of Greenville. Maybe check out some of the nearby smaller towns?

Murphy, NC might work. It has a walkable downtown area with some lovely art galleries/studios, shops, etc. I was pleasantly surprised.
Thanks for the tip. We are particularly interested in Southern Virginia to northern Georgia. There are many reasons to get out of NY, despite the beautiful Adirondacks, but I don't want to step into the political or take away from the original poster. I hope he enjoys the search for a retirement location as much as retirement.

I'm born and raised in California....Massive exodus of what's left of the working class...More freeway shootings than the entire nation combined .Gasoline $1 to $1.50 per gallon more than most states.... High crime , low numbers of police...Sky high housing costs , the worst in the nation , surpassing New York City....High taxes , much of it going to supply illegal immigrants with medical care and free lawyers...Massive prison population. Calif. spends $11.5 thousand a year on schoolchildren including illegal immigrants , and $75,000 per year per young healthy prisoners.... It is ILLEGAL for our police to even ask a person if they are here legally.....It is a felony to have an ammo mag holding more than 10 rounds , possess a pistol grip shotgun , or bring legally purchased ammo in from neighboring states...the average cost of a 400 sq. ft. studio in SF is $3000 - $4000 per month , SLIGHTLY less in the 100 mile surrounding radius and getting worse every year...Think twice about moving here unless you are very wealthy....
REGINA ZZZ.JPG
oak  high.JPG

Top Bottom