What's new

Retiredgene Check in

What a great site!

I just wanted to jump in and introduce myself, retired for almost 15 years. I have been lurking, reading and thoroughly enjoying this site for a week now.

I had been wet shaving / DE from the late 50s to 80s, went to the cartridges for "ease during working life", I just went back to DE wet shaving after rebelling about paying the $$ for those cartridges and enjoying the DE once again. Recently purchased a Jagger 89L to start and will continue to read and educate myself - so many great products, so little time!

Reading about "The Shave Cave", just too funny and right up my alley of AD hobbies, reading about Pasteur's, my son lives in NYC so forwarded it to him will schedule a visit
icon7.png

Gene

welcome Gene!

I think a lot of us started here to 'save money'. I don't think a lot of us have. I've found wetshaving isn't about saving money, it's about taking something that most of us hated to do and turning it into something enjoyable.

Check out all our other subforums, we have just about every hobby/addiction you can find!

Gene, if you've already recognized the impending AD, you're well ahead of most of us after a week on this site. Glad you're here!

Thanks for the warm welcome and I started right in with the Shaving soap tutorial from Jim, read it several times to make sure this newbie understand it. I always used "canned" shaving lather and whenever I used any kind soap & brush it was just dip into the water, brush up. I immediately could see from the tutorial I didn't what the heck I was doing!!

Since today was shave day, I followed the tutorial with a puck of a local drugstore soap (Van Der Hagen) to practice on before I use the new EJ Aloe Vera or EJ Sandalwood. With those pictures I made an awesome lather that was a sheer pleasure to use! I told my horrified SWOMABO that I felt like shaving my 30 year old beard off so I could really enjoy a total face shave :001_smile

TheVez2 - I just used whatever Gillette was selling but for a few years in late 50s, I used my dad's straight razor but after 200 to 300 blood donation sessions had to give it up!

Now onto understanding more of Shave Clinic, focus on the After shave.

Gene

Gene, looks like you're doing it right. VDH is actually a REALLY good cheap soap, probably the best cheap soap out there. Don't listen to these people about Arko, it's awful awful stuff made from the souls of dead babies. A few round of practice lather and you'll be good to go.

Top Bottom