What's new

Rethinking my lathering

Seems like you got the lathering techqinue corrected but you're still experiencing dryness? I haven't used tabac and haven't used Cella in quite some time. How you tried using a preshave oil? I find it can help with moisturizing the skin for a better post shave feel. Soaps with high coconut oil tend to dry the skin out but a good aftershave can fix that. What are you using as an aftershave?

I don't always manage to get that super wet, dripping lather, but I come close most of the time. Yet, I still feel that the lather could protect my skin a little better. I also occasionally get razor burn/irritation/dry skin/whatever-it-is.

I am not using preshave oils or aftershaves. I am, however, using Proraso Pre-Shave Cream (the green one) as a preshave. With my limited experience it is difficult to say if it helps.

I came from cartridge razors (Gillette Fusion 4), and didn't use any pre- or postshave treatments with them. Cartridges never caused any problems to me, really. Someone would ask, why I moved to straights, but hey, where is the fun in shaving with a cart? In a way, I didn't want to cheat and cover a bad technique/bad lathering/dull razor under pre- and post-shave treatments, although I now agree that it may've been quite a silly idea.

I don't always manage to get that super wet, dripping lather, but I come close most of the time. Yet, I still feel that the lather could protect my skin a little better. I also occasionally get razor burn/irritation/dry skin/whatever-it-is.

I am not using preshave oils or aftershaves. I am, however, using Proraso Pre-Shave Cream (the green one) as a preshave. With my limited experience it is difficult to say if it helps.

I came from cartridge razors (Gillette Fusion 4), and didn't use any pre- or postshave treatments with them. Cartridges never caused any problems to me, really. Someone would ask, why I moved to straights, but hey, where is the fun in shaving with a cart? In a way, I didn't want to cheat and cover a bad technique/bad lathering/dull razor under pre- and post-shave treatments, although I now agree that it may've been quite a silly idea.
Gotcha!
Imo it's not "cheating" to give yourself the best possible shave you can. I don't find the proraso preshave does much for me but a lot of guys love it.
The êShave preshave oils are decent as the Col Conk one.
You mentioned you get a bit of irritation on your neck... When you do you pass on your neck are you doing it all in one direction or are you following your growth?

You mentioned you get a bit of irritation on your neck... When you do you pass on your neck are you doing it all in one direction or are you following your growth?

No irritation on the neck (I may have mistyped it somewhere...) but the dryness/irritation is mostly on cheeks (like on vast, open areas of the skin). I am not sure why since my cheeks have always been the easiest areas to shave and I am basically only brushing over, barely touching the skin. It somehow feels to me that the razor just does so perfect job that it sucks my skin dry for the rest of the day. I am trying to go WTG everywhere, doing just one, light pass. I don't pay much if any attention to closeness of the shave--but the shaves always look very acceptable and good visually. And with longer stubble the shave is always easier. Again I don't know why, maybe it is just easier for long whiskers to absorb the lather.

I have nothing against preshave oils and stuff, it's just that I would (yet again) need to order them somewhere (I have absolutely nothing available locally). And it bothers me that one particular razor seems to be able to give me comfortable shaves with just lathering and cold water as aftershave--provided that all the planets line up in the sky and I've done all the pasted stropping and stuff correctly.

No irritation on the neck (I may have mistyped it somewhere...) but the dryness/irritation is mostly on cheeks (like on vast, open areas of the skin). I am not sure why since my cheeks have always been the easiest areas to shave and I am basically only brushing over, barely touching the skin. It somehow feels to me that the razor just does so perfect job that it sucks my skin dry for the rest of the day. I am trying to go WTG everywhere, doing just one, light pass. I don't pay much if any attention to closeness of the shave--but the shaves always look very acceptable and good visually. And with longer stubble the shave is always easier. Again I don't know why, maybe it is just easier for long whiskers to absorb the lather.

I have nothing against preshave oils and stuff, it's just that I would (yet again) need to order them somewhere (I have absolutely nothing available locally). And it bothers me that one particular razor seems to be able to give me comfortable shaves with just lathering and cold water as aftershave--provided that all the planets line up in the sky and I've done all the pasted stropping and stuff correctly.

Do you use a post shave balm? I use Proraso for sensitive skin, primarily because it is not oily. It rubs in leaving my hands naturally dry and keeping my face comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you use a post shave balm? I use Proraso for sensitive skin, primarily because it is not oily. It rubs in leaving my hands naturally dry and keeping my face comfortable.

Would Proraso Pre-Shave Cream (the green one) work as aftershave balm as I've heard, or did you mean some other Proraso product?

Nivea Aftershave Balm is something that seems to be available locally.

Would Proraso Pre-Shave Cream (the green one) work as aftershave balm as I've heard, or did you mean some other Proraso product?

Well, I would think it’s too “soapy”. I use it once in awhile for Pre-Shave-Lotion. The balms are excellent. The white for sensitive skin is less oily. It rubs right in without feeling like cup grease. Afterwards it feels like I haven’t shaven at all. Otherwise, I feel dry, taught, and itchy.

Sorry I misread about your neck having issues. It could be the cushion on the soap on the days your having issues isn't providing good enough protection. Idk...

The Nivea balm is pretty good. I've gone thru a couple of bottles of it. Does a good job for a good price.

My bad shaves seem to correlate with the razor, but I am not too sure. Could easily be soap, as well. It's rather annoying to test this empirically, since each time something is even slightly wrong, my face then feels dry/itchy for the entire day.

I'll try to find Nivea balm and Proraso White after-shave, will definitely try them out!

My bad shaves seem to correlate with the razor, but I am not too sure. Could easily be soap, as well. It's rather annoying to test this empirically, since each time something is even slightly wrong, my face then feels dry/itchy for the entire day.

I'll try to find Nivea balm and Proraso White after-shave, will definitely try them out!

Yes, do try them. I get perfect and comfortable shaves, but will have a dry itchy face if I don’t replace the hydration with oils.

A really good postshave balm is the Proraso Green. Make sure to get the balm and not the splash. I found the Nivea stuff gave me greasy skin and a few spots. It did provide good relief, though!

YMMV

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

A really good postshave balm is the Proraso Green. Make sure to get the balm and not the splash. I found the Nivea stuff gave me greasy skin and a few spots. It did provide good relief, though!

YMMV

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Actually used the green balm today. On Instagram I'm doing a battle of the budget soaps and it was proraso green vs Derby Menthol. Finished off with the green balm. It's pretty good though I'd reach for the Nivea over it. I agree it's slightly greasy but I find it hydrates better.
I have the proraso red splash (I'm assuming it's the same for green) and it doesn't hydrate as much.

Actually used the green balm today. On Instagram I'm doing a battle of the budget soaps and it was proraso green vs Derby Menthol. Finished off with the green balm. It's pretty good though I'd reach for the Nivea over it. I agree it's slightly greasy but I find it hydrates better.
I have the proraso red splash (I'm assuming it's the same for green) and it doesn't hydrate as much.

Are you talking aftershaves as opposed to balms? I use Proraso white balm. Never had it fail me. I have the green aftershave and it’s like Aqua Velva.

I am in this case. The Proraso balms work better than their splashes I think.

Yes, they will, though I will use splash after balm for the scent and cooling feeling. It doesn’t upset the oils that were reintroduced by the balm.

My post shave is:
1. Alum
2. Witch hazel
3. Balm
4. Aftershave.

I could stop using alum unless I get to aggressive.

Yes, they will, though I will use splash after balm for the scent and cooling feeling. It doesn’t upset the oils that were reintroduced by the balm.

My post shave is:
1. Alum
2. Witch hazel
3. Balm
4. Aftershave.

I could stop using alum unless I get to aggressive.

Good way of doing it. [emoji106]

Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm helped preventing the irritation. However, I felt some discomfort immediately after the shave even with the balm on and kinda felt that the irritation was still there, the balm just kinda surpressed it. So, I would like to learn to hone my razors in a way that balm becomes unnecessary to get an ok shave. I know that it is possible since I've once honed one particular razor like that and shaved for a week with it without any problems.

Straight Razor shaves requires wet lather and skin, anything less will result in dry skin and an increase wrt skin irritation/burns. Not moist, damp or pasty but properly wet and shinny lather. I have never seen proper a barber use pasty/dry-ish lather, it's always wet and for a good reason!

Lather with too much air/bubbles will also dry out quickly and is mostly due to too much brushwork IMO. Generally new shavers tend to jump around between the many soaps and brushes they own without mastering one combination. Once you master one combination with a quality soap the results will follow.

A quality shave is the sum of all things (pre-shave preparation, shave ready edge, lather, technique and post shave treatment) coming together in harmony...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Straight Razor shaves requires wet lather and skin, anything less will result in dry skin and an increase wrt skin irritation/burns. Not moist, damp or pasty but properly wet and shinny lather. I have never seen proper a barber use pasty/dry-ish lather, it's always wet and for a good reason!

Lather with too much air/bubbles will also dry out quickly and is mostly due to too much brushwork IMO. Generally new shavers tend to jump around between the many soaps and brushes they own without mastering one combination. Once you master one combination with a quality soap the results will follow.

A quality shave is the sum of all things (pre-shave preparation, shave ready edge, lather, technique and post shave treatment) coming together in harmony...
Absolutely! User error trumps soap quality.

Top Bottom