What's new

Retailers selling good DE blades in France

I will be in France next month and I heard that inexpensive (but good!) DE blades are available there in retail stores.
I will definitely be picking up some Palmolive sticks and Monsavon croap, but wondered if I should be on the lookout for good blades, especially ones that are harder to find/expensive here in the US.
If so, just let me know which stores I should check out (les "grandes surfaces", in particular).

Thanks.

Search in supermarkets like Intermarche, Lidl , Carrefour and Auchan. I was living there for a year, but at the time I wasn't using DE razors yet, but I am pretty sure you can find blades in those supermarkets.

Thanks gents but I am looking for something quite specific not addressed in those links. I guess I could have put it more crisply myself. What I'm after is 3 things:
Blade brand, its price (that you've seen or paid), retailer that carries it.
Absent this, of course I'll sniff around anyway. But this would help make it a bit more focused.
Also I won't be in Paris, which is where most general recommendations point to, and why I was thinking of the chains/big box stores (grandes surfaces) that I can track down where I'll be (in the Loire).

regards

Thanks gents but I am looking for something quite specific not addressed in those links. I guess I could have put it more crisply myself. What I'm after is 3 things:
Blade brand, its price (that you've seen or paid), retailer that carries it.
Absent this, of course I'll sniff around anyway. But this would help make it a bit more focused.
Also I won't be in Paris, which is where most general recommendations point to, and why I was thinking of the chains/big box stores (grandes surfaces) that I can track down where I'll be (in the Loire).

regards

Monoprix Gillette Bleue Extra (Made in Russia 10 pack box on card) Euro 2.00/2.25 per pack

They also had a Wilkinson Blade for less that I did not find particularly great. To me the Gillettes are wonderful, and I do not like the 7 O'Clocks from the same plant, but do like the Indian 7 O'Clocks.

Others don't like it as much. All say it is a decent blade at worst, so try as YMMV.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/359789-Gillette-Bleue-Extra-blades

Last edited:
In November in a MonoPrix (think Foodtown, A&P, Giant Foods, etc.) in Paris, I found St Petersburg-made 10-packs of Gillette Bleue Extra for 1 Euro & 89 centimes (about $2.50), and a large tube of Palmolive classic shave cream for 1E & 69c (about $2.25). Most of the razors I saw in little boutique shops were mostly cartridge heads on fancy-turned wood and stone handles, along with matching brushes, but I was not in the market for those so didn't check the prices. In the open-air markets we bought about a bizillion chunks of milled, scented soaps - but those were not for shaving, they were of my wife's girlfriends (but I wondered, believe me, I wondered).

The Gillette Bleue Extra is available in most stores in France. Next to Super Iridium, these are my go-to blades.
I really like them: sharp, no irritation and pretty long lasting.

I always pick some up when in France. Last time out I found them for €1,68 for a 10-pack.

Top Bottom