What's new

Resurrection of a vintage Yardley shaving cream

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I just acquired two tubes of vintage Yardley shaving cream, one NOS and the other part used. The part used cream was very hard in the tube and it was almost impossible to squeeze any out. The little I could use was very dry, needed water adding and did not lather well. The tube is shown below:

20201116_170239.jpg

In my view this cream was unusable although the scent is superb unlike my vintage Yardley soap which has little scent but performs wonderfully. I decided on drastic action. I cut the tube open with scissors and scooped out the cream into an empty MWF bowl. The cream has a consistency very much like vintage parmesan cheese and is crumbly.

20201117_104804.jpg

I have compressed the soap into the bowl to remove any air and intend to use it as a regular hard shave soap after a period of air drying. From the test lathers I have done it looks promising, it makes a rich lather with a superb scent. I may use it in conjunction with my regular Yardley soap to get the performance of the soap and the scent of the cream.

20201117_111113.jpg

I will post an update as to how this performs as it may be a way to make use of old dried up creams which may otherwise go to waste.

Hi,

Back in the days of the shaving apocalypse, when there was no more soap to be had, but there are still a few creams on the drugstore shelves, I would put the cream into an Old Spice mug and let it dry. The idea does work well.

Stan

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I left the cream to dry and it now has a firm texture though not triple milled firm. I have lathered it and it is superb. This cream, which cost me the same as a drugstore shave cream, is better than MWF soap, it is better than Shulton Old Spice soap, it is better than vintage Yardley soap, it is better than...... Tabac! I have a second tube which I will retain until this is used up. I strongly recommend trying this with any vintage creams in tubes that you may find.

20201126_083524.jpg

Top Bottom