What's new

Restoring/fixing my Semogue 1305

As so of you may know I just received my beautiful Semogue 1305 boar brush almost 2 weeks ago. I have been using it everyday and it has been breaking in wonderfully. Well aware that the handle is somewhat fragile I ended up dropping it 4 inches down onto my counter and it chipped. I decided that I should try and fix it to prevent the paint from peeling/chipping off more and hopefully make it look better. So far I am very pleased with how the restored brush is coming along. I am going to finish it up tomorrow so it should look even better.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It looks great!, I would give it a sanding to the entire bottom then keep building up coats. Then sand and polish the entire bottom, just my 2 cents.

Excellent restoration. The color match is fantastic. Tell us the details of the paint, the color, where you found the paint and how you matched it so perfectly.

Excellent restoration. The color match is fantastic. Tell us the details of the paint, the color, where you found the paint and how you matched it so perfectly.

Humbrol Enamel Paint
Gloss 41
$1.70 at Hobbytown USA

I used a small #2 brush that I also purchased at Hobbytown for $0.99.

With a qtip dipped in rubbing alcohol I cleaned the are I was going to paint. Once dried I carefully used just a small amount of paint on the tip of my brush to fill in the spot. I did a 2nd coat today and I could still see an indentation. Maybe I will try a 3rd coat tomorrow. The store associate said to let it dry overnight between coats and to let it dry then for 2 days to be safe.

The store associate also stated that super glue would work well to fill in the indentation and then I can paint over it. I always had bad luck using superglue so I didn't do this step and opted to use multiple coats.

Also the store assoiate said that the paint is pretty hard and should hold up well with it getting wet.

It might not be a perfect restore because I could still see the spot BUT it is much better than it was.

That looks like a great job and thanks for sharing the colour match.
I think when I get around to mine I will build up with clear varnish first and add a couple of coats of paint to finish.
Sanding back between coats should be useful too.
Never thought my brush would turn into a woodwork project but I won't drop it again that's for sure.:cool:

That looks like a great job and thanks for sharing the colour match.
I think when I get around to mine I will build up with clear varnish first and add a couple of coats of paint to finish.
Sanding back between coats should be useful too.
Never thought my brush would turn into a woodwork project but I won't drop it again that's for sure.:cool:

Building it up first would have been helpful but I figured a couple coats would also do the trick. I will keep eveyone posted on my progress.

Top Bottom