What's new

Restoring/Cleaning Safety Razors

I'm wanting to know about cleaning/disinfecting a Vintage Safety Razor. Anyway, I came across the following:

Is the above information on cleaning/disinfecting a safety razor accurate?

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Not really.
Boiling will loosen gunk, but for disinfection 10-12 minutes are needed. It won’t do anything to calc deposits.
Polishing is not the last step, it’s the second, after cleaning, as you have to get rid of polish residue before sanitizing the razor.
Don’t use mineral oil. A clean razor should “squeak”, if perfectly clean. If it’s binding, it’s gunked up on the inside, oil won’t help.
If you really have the urge to lubricate thre threads, use a heavy grease, this won’t dissolve as easy as an oil.
In most cases for a complete cleaning the razor has to be broken down into pieces.

Here are a few threads, plus a Wiki. Realize that there is a lot of advice on restoring/cleaning/sanitizing safety razors, some conflicting, you just have to choose and go. In general - some automatic (US and sonic) cleaning devices can damage some razors, some mechanical (scrubbing) methods can damage some razors, and some sanitizing methods/chemicals can damage some razors. And in general, the safest, least damaging process is gentle brushing with a soft brush using neutral pH soap in warm water, and advancing up from there.

Vintage Gillete cleaning advice | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

A germaphobe's plan to sanitize and yet not wreck my first vintage razor | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

Do you sterilize brand new razors? | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

Most effective way to thoroughly clean vintage gold plated razors and bakelite/plastic injector razors | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

How hard is it to clean up a corroded Gillette New OC? | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

How to really clean a razor head? | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

DE Razor Polishing/Cleaning/Maintenance etc - Tips & Tricks - Products | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

Razor cleaning and restoration | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com)

I'm wanting to know about cleaning/disinfecting a Vintage Safety Razor. Anyway, I came across the following:

Is the above information on cleaning/disinfecting a safety razor accurate?

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
I just give mine a good scrub with some hot water, Dawn dish soap and a tooth brush. I then give them a good soak in some rubbing alcohol to kill whatever is remaining.
IMO, anything beyond that is overkill.

It does depend somewhat on the razor as well. Something with paint or plastic I wouldn’t boil. Personally I’m fine with soaking in warm water and dish soap, then scrubbing with a soft toothbrush most of the time. However if it’s a vintage gold Gillette even this can damage the finish to a degree.

What razor is it that you’re wanting to clean?

I always use dawn and warm water with a soft toothbrush. If there’s harder gunk I’ll use a harder bristle brush. I like to finish it off with rubbing alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom