What's new

Restoring a vintage Schott western leather 3 button vest

I got what I think is a pretty good deal on one of these last week, and it just came in the mail. It has several actual vintage motorcycle pins and patches on it, and it's missing two buttons. The button that it does have is not original. I'm not sure I'm going to keep the motorcycle pins and patches on it because I don't ride and I don't want to seem like a try-hard, but removing them just leaves me with holes to address - and this vest already has its fair share of those.

What would you guys do? Would you leave the pins and patches on? Is there a good way to address the holes if I remove them? I've already contacted Schott about replacement buttons and we've gone back and forth a bit. They have incredible customer service considering that this is a vintage piece and I'm not even the original owner. They're digging through old catalogs and looking for the exact buttons that were used on this vest.

Not sure on restoration. I would like to see the vest though. Any chance of a photo or two.

Absolutely. Here are some listing photos. I haven't had a chance to take my own yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200728-094054_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200728-094054_eBay.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 27

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That's really cool. I'd wear it.

Of course I ride a moped, so I have street cred, and that makes me fearless!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the photos. It is a really good looking vest. I would be torn as I like it as it is. The only thing for me would be to source some buttons like you are trying to do. Good luck with whatever you do.

Thanks for the photos. It is a really good looking vest. I would be torn as I like it as it is. The only thing for me would be to source some buttons like you are trying to do. Good luck with whatever you do.

I'm sorted on the buttons. Schott is sending me some for free! Go support Schott, people! What a great company.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm sorted on the buttons. Schott is sending me some for free! Go support Schott, people! What a great company.
I've found some companies are really incredible when given the chance. That's really good of them. Now I'll be looking at their stuff for sure.

Top Bottom