What's new

restored paddle strop

I bought a bunch of stuff on craigslist (including a dovo straight and a DE razor) and got a paddle strop - a 'star shaving'. The leather seemed to be a typical vegetable tanned 8-10 oz and had little dents in it from being stored against things in a drawer and it felt kindof wash-boardy. I was all set to replace the leather, but decided to try flattening it. I wet sanded it with 400, 800, 1200, 2000 papers. Then dry-sanded it with 3000 wet or dry. It has a wonderful feel now and works really well.
Just wondering how many people have tried this - sanding leather down to really fine grits.

I wouldn't sand anything leather. Perhaps others with experience can explain how sanding makes an improvement in strop leather.

I have about twenty vintage strops. I think I've tried everything . I would usually read a little on the subject and try something someone else had done. Flattening,sanding and treating with oil. I have found some of these strops to be good as new . Others were just too far gone . I do enjoy taking something that is basically trash and bringing it back to life. Enjoy the strop. Oh and a pic or two is good if you want to share the finished product.

I have sanded a number of strops. I find that a 1k will increase the draw - especially if followed by a strop balm, a 3k will often reduce the draw. Just my experience.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Sanding is fine as long as you make sure all abrasive grit is removed and not embedded into the surface.

Top Bottom