What's new

Restore or not?

It's been about seven years now and I'm just getting around to working with my dad's brush and razor that I acquired when he passed away. Watching him shave when I was very young is one of my fondest memories - he'd lather his whole face then with two fingers wipe his lips clear. Oh how many times I scalded myself (we all did!) on the hot water at home because he insisted on having HOT water to shave with.

I decided to pull the trigger on having his '65 Fatboy refurbished but I'm on the fence about the brush. It's a synthetic Rubberset 400n. Do I get it restored and use it or keep it as he last used it? I can get an identical one for me to use and use his on occasion. I think I'm leaning on the latter option. Any thoughts?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If it is usable then I would use it else get it restored and then use it. For me, a brush that was not his would be pointless, identical or not. The point is that it was his - not that it looks like one that was his. Whatever works for you is best though. You are very lucky to have these things, very lucky indeed.

This is a hard one. Frankly, I like your latter option. I’d want to keep my dads brush as is and use something identical. Down the road if you change your mind, you can always restore his old brush and use it.

It's been about seven years now and I'm just getting around to working with my dad's brush and razor that I acquired when he passed away. Watching him shave when I was very young is one of my fondest memories - he'd lather his whole face then with two fingers wipe his lips clear. Oh how many times I scalded myself (we all did!) on the hot water at home because he insisted on having HOT water to shave with.

I decided to pull the trigger on having his '65 Fatboy refurbished but I'm on the fence about the brush. It's a synthetic Rubberset 400n. Do I get it restored and use it or keep it as he last used it? I can get an identical one for me to use and use his on occasion. I think I'm leaning on the latter option. Any thoughts?
If we are talking Synthetic and Rubberset this means Nylon :eek2: ?
I wouldn't want to use that, so get a nice badger reknot with the handle as rememberance.

Depends what in that rubberset exists as a knot.
If it’s a classic nylon knot then it is likely that a modern synthetic is a lot more comfortable.
otoh you could Have a new synthetic brush for 20 bucks….
And having two brushes is not bad anyhow. Using different knots in them neither.

I would get a new brush and based upon its usage decide if you want to change dads brush or simply put it in a nice spot as it is.

First, losing a Dad is extremely difficult so I offer my belated condolences.
I think it is awesome that you have his razor and brush and that you are having the 65 Fatboy refurbished.
Brushes have a life expectancy and are either ready for a new knot or disposal depending upon handle and/or sentimental reasons.
Your Dad’s brush was a synthetic so I would think that it is still useable. I recommend trying it multiple times in its current configuration/condition. If it is useable, I wouldn’t change a thing. It doesn’t have to be your best performing brush, it has to be useable, so that every time you enjoy it, it reminds you of great memories of your Dad.
Best of luck on your decision.

GNR - Thank you so much. I went back and read a couple of threads that I had written years ago regarding my dad and shaving, and remembering and thinking about it all actually made me cry. Good thing I work alone in a private office. Usually such things only just make me smile.

I just ordered a brush exactly like his so I'll go that route. I can always have his re-knotted and polished. If not it'll make for an occasional sentimental shave. VERY occasional shave that is. When I last tried his brush it was like using wire. Over the years he must have worn a half inch off that thing!

I inherited my grandfathers Erskine with a Badger knot when I started shaving. I don't know how long he used it, but it passed through my Dad and older brother before I got it and it was already beyond its prime. I eventually set it aside and used it occasionally. Finally, a few years ago when I became aware the availability of Badger and became involved here, I reknotted it with a nice Silvertip Badger. Recently I came across another Erskine that was nearly identical but was still in good shape, and bought it so I can compare. I'm glad I found the second brush. I'm also glad I reknotted the original so I can honor my grandfather by making it usable again.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would be tempted to re-knot the handle. It can be a tough decision but I think that I would prefer to use it and reminisce about my father than just have it sitting in a cupboard.

Top Bottom