What's new

Restoration in progress

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Ian was a big help when I made my own custom brush. I have yet to restore a vintage one though. BTW, Luc you have some nice looking handles there mate.

Thanks mate! I don't think it will get any difficult after I get the knots. They should all fall into place!

Luc

Staff member
Okay, got my knots...

Bummer...

I find them way too small...

Where I measured 20mm and bought 18mm, it looks like there's a giant gap over there...

The worse is the 16mm knot vs. 20mm hole... I tried to get a shorter knot as the handle is short... Looks like I will need to re-order...

Excellent service from TGN! Their shipping was ultra-fast!

Okay, got my knots...

Bummer...

I find them way too small...

Where I measured 20mm and bought 18mm, it looks like there's a giant gap over there...

The worse is the 16mm knot vs. 20mm hole... I tried to get a shorter knot as the handle is short... Looks like I will need to re-order...

Excellent service from TGN! Their shipping was ultra-fast!

I believe Tony's knots come sized small, so for a 20mm hole you order the 20mm knot and it leaves you enough room for the glue.

Luc

Staff member
I believe Tony's knots come sized small, so for a 20mm hole you order the 20mm knot and it leaves you enough room for the glue.

I think that's what happening... No drama, I'll get more knots!! :laugh:

Legion

Staff member
I think that's what happening... No drama, I'll get more knots!! :laugh:

Ah, if money was no object I would always have a bunch of loose knots in various sizes just sitting there waiting for handles to come along. Even though TGN is quick, the shipping time from USA to Aus kills me. Once I start something I can't wait to see it finished. I needed a knot for one I restored last night so I ordered three. :lol:

Luc, they will ALWAYS come in handy for that handle you haven't met yet. :biggrin1:

Oh yeah they will be useful for sure.

On my recent orders I have started getting both potential sizes. Last restore I did I was SURE the 18mm Finest would be the knot....ended up using the 20mm Extra stuffed I ordered as a "spare".

Luc

Staff member
I don't know if I will do any other brush restores after that... Might sell the knots down under at a reduced price but not now... I'll fix my handles first!

Shipping from TGN isn't so bad but then, I only ordered 5!

Luc

Staff member
New order

2xSilvertip 20mm
1xSilvertip A 20mm
2xSilvertip 24mm

Luc

Staff member
Package received, I will be playing with some knots tonight!!

Luc

Staff member
No, I don't have a problem...

The first thing I did is try those knots when I walked in...

They all fit perfectly except for one brush, I will work on it so it fits properly this week-end!

Will post the results!

Luc

Staff member
All right, 1 done, 4 to go...

I am not totally happy with it. It's not the knot, it's not the glue, it's the handle... I'm very difficult with this... I find that the handle slip a bit too much when wet... I will need another brush with a different handle...

It's still a great brush, the knot is awesome. Special mention to the Golden Nib, very good product!

I have a Silvertip Grade A in there.

Well it looks great.

You could try polishing it with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper just enough to give it a bit of tooth for gripability.

Luc

Staff member
Well it looks great.

You could try polishing it with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper just enough to give it a bit of tooth for gripability.

I guess I could try that... The finish is very nice on the brush... I might just end-up selling it, I'm unsure at this stage...

Luc

Staff member
Next on the table is the red/beige long handle. The knot sits well down the handle. I didn't superglue the red/beige part, it can become useful if the knot needs to be changed again :001_rolle

Silvertip again, longer handle, I might have a better grip with this one!

Luc

Staff member
I fixed the butterscotch yesterday and tried it this morning... I think this is the brush! I was able to grate more glue yesterday using a screwdriver and ~2 hours of time. A bit of sandpaper to make the bottom even and the 20mm knot fitted perfectly, a bit tight even. Again, used a Silvertip!

I'm not 100% with the hexagon design but the grip is awesome. I'll give it a few days but I'm pretty sure that's the new favorite!

View attachment 115081

Luc

Staff member
I did the final 2 yesterday, they are dry now and ready to use...

The blue/beige now has a Silvertip/24mm and the Red/beige has a 20mm Silvertip.

I'm happy the way the knot sits in the blue/beige one, very tight! The hole where the know sits on the red/beige isn't completely round, we can see on the picture that I have a gap on the right.

I think that both will be excellent performers!

I will probably end-up selling some of those as it didn't convert me to collect brushes. The experience was great and I now know a bit more on how to restore brushes. I also found a favorite in the lot, the hexagonal butterscotch.

Finally, Ian had doubts that I had an ivory brush (small yellow 1 piece brush). So, I did the ultimate test. I started by boiling water and left a needle in there for a good 5 minutes and I quickly tried to poke the brush underneat (so it wouldn't show). Nothing, I can't poke. I took out the torch and heat up my needle until it was white :)001_rolle), it went in like butter and stinky stinky stinky. My guess, it's a plastic handle, not ivory. That's all right, it still look good!

Luc

Staff member
This thread wouldn't be complete without a before/after ... :001_rolle

Before:
attachment.php

After:
View attachment 115883

Top Bottom