What's new

Resting your blade between shaves - yes? no?

A+ for the creative effort. Still, someone did not do his physics homework back in the day :biggrin1:

Really, it's just a marketing scam. Internalized in bona fide by some customers.
I agree with you. I minored in metallurgical engineering and plastic deformation is permanent and cannot be removed or unbent back to the original shape. MOST IMPORTANTLY, if plastic deformation did occur while shaving, you would not be able to strop it out! Bend a wire coat hanger until it is deformed. You will NEVER be able to get back the original shape unless you reset it and extrude it again. The only way to get rid of plastic deformation is to hone it away. But I believe that will never occur while shaving. I REST my case!

Resting razors between games will help you avoid injuries.

I would rather have my razors at 95% performance until the finals and not burn and crash mid season because of some ridiculous toe and heel injuries. Look at LeBron or Kawhi, they look so utterly lazy, but still always make it to the finals. These razors are definitely not giving their 110%. Maybe if you have Westbrook on your team, you can beast-mode it every shave, but you're still rolling the dice, IMHO. Imagine if my boy Klay was resting that one fateful shave, he wouldn't be a $32,000,000 bench razor this entire season.

arrest.png

I have bought a few Boker razors recently and of course, they give you a sheet of instructions.
I didn't pay a lot of notice until just now, thought I would just have a look and see if I was told to rest them.
No, but I am not supposed to strop the razor after use, I still do though.
Maybe because my razor edge needs to sort itself out overnight. :) :) :)
IMG_20210331_090700.jpg

Laugh all you want, but this theory (of resting a razor) dates back at least to the mid-19th century.

It arose (in connection with shaving), with the adoption of self-shaving by the burgeoning middle-class of the Gilded Age.
The "two-razor" set was based entirely on this theory, belief, or understanding that a blade benefited from at least a day of rest between uses.
The sets would usually consist of two blades and one interchangeable handle, but some contained two 'complete' razors.
This led to the development of the seven-day set, which became popular as a gift, albeit an expensive one, usually from wife or family.
The sets ran the gamut from basic to highly elaborate and somehow survived advancing scientific knowledge and generational change. Although the 7-day set took the theory much further, I've never encountered any contemporaneous criticism of it.

The principal was continued well into the 20th century with the rise of the original safety razor that employed wedge-blades, which were stropped. I have a Wilkinson 7-day set, but there were others. Two-blade sets of the wedge style were even more popular..
Only the widespread adoption of disposable safety blades pioneered by King Gillette and others led to the eventual demise of the straight and wedge-blade and multi-day sets. But surprisingly, Wilkinson was still making wedge-razor sets in the U.K. in the 1950's!

From what I know, this concept was universally accepted in the straight and wedge eras to at least the mid 20th century. It seems only now, with the advent of modern straight-razor hobbyists that it is being newly questioned or even decried as bunk.

I'm unqualified to critique the rationale expounded by Dzaw, but I've read explanations that are substantively similar, about edge disruption, tining or tine misalignment, as the cause; and metal "memory" or magnetic re-alignment as the natural process the metal undergoes over time if left in a stable environment.

I have bought a few Boker razors recently and of course, they give you a sheet of instructions.
I didn't pay a lot of notice until just now, thought I would just have a look and see if I was told to rest them.
No, but I am not supposed to strop the razor after use, I still do though.
Maybe because my razor edge needs to sort itself out overnight. :) :) :)
View attachment 1244373
Interesting, that whilst the Böker instruction sheet does not specifically recommend resting a razor, it does refer to the phenomenon that a razor's edge undergoes a change or "movement" after a shave.

Note the statement "The burr builds up by itself after the stress of the shaving."
This admits to the "growth" of a burred edge after the shave is over. So, there is movement in the metal in the hours/days after the stress induced by shaving.
One needn't strop after shaving, because a burr will develop anyway. In fact, stropping after shaving may be counter-productive, as suggested by the admonition not to strop "AFTER shaving."

Stropping before a shave removes the burr, and if a razor has been given sufficient time to rest, the process can be repeated many, many times before the need to hone finally arises.
But if one re-strops the very next day, before the blade has had time fully rest, or re-align, the period between hones will grow shorter, i.e. the need to hone becomes more frequent.
Whether this difference is minor or significant, I've yet to learn, but it apparently wasn't considered "inconsequential" back in the day.

"Burr builds up by itself after the stress of shaving" just means that shaving will roll the edge.
That was their understanding of why razor dulls after each shave.
Though, this more modern article says that local chipping might be a major contributor.
They found that hair shaving deforms a blade in a way that is more complex than simply wearing down the edge over time. In fact, a single strand of hair can cause the edge of a blade to chip under specific conditions. Once an initial crack forms, the blade is vulnerable to further chipping. As more cracks accumulate around the initial chip, the razor's edge can quickly dull.

Also, I wouldn't really want to put stock in what people believed 100 years ago. They were putting mercury on wounds and drinking cocaine from soda fountain. I respect their philosophy, but not their science.

If one were to believe that the razor needs resting, one would need to test the hypothesis that the rest time is actually 48 hours (and not 48 minutes). And a seven-day set implies that the rest period is seven days!

But the problem with resting the razor is that it may actually spoil the razor. Soon the razor will want to rest during the shave between passes. Your brush and soap puck will not let this go unnoticed and they will also demand rest periods. Next thing you know, they will want paid vacations!

Not only rest it, but you should also talk to your razor during shave. Be careful though what you are saying. Wrong words can damage the edge, cause those micro abrasions. Somewhere in another thread, there's a list of English words never to be pronounced in the close proximity of a SR, especially if you have a Scottish accent.

You should also make sure you play music to your SR between the shaves, as the vibration of the sound waves polishes the micro abrasions caused by the hair (and your voice). Metallica (allegedly) should be played to your SR, following the J-Nat progression, but not before it. Some say this is YMMV, so go figure.

It's good to see that the B&B members have a good sense of humour - at least the SE shavers do.

The post about the resting theory going back to the 19th Century is interesting. Was it just a marketing ploy to get people to buy another razor or possibly more? Mr Gillette certainly topped these people at their game and Steve Jobs kept the trend going with his I-Phones that inexplicably quit working just before the introduction of a new model.

Is it just a crazy theory? I will think about that whilst I examine the possibility of sharpening your razor by placing it in a pyramid overnight, thus negating the need for stropping and pasted balsa etc.

cheers
Andrew

Top Bottom