What's new

Restaurant size tomato past - what to do

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I was just making some Marana Sauce and had to open another can of tomato paste. I'm a nut, shush nobody else knows, so I buy some things in large sizes. Some went into my sauce and the rest . . . will be frozen and bagged / vacuum sealed for use later.

This is what I do.

Tomato Paste.jpg

Each is about 2 tbsp. and there are about 3 dozen.

Yellow bag is flour. I've been storing flour in the freezer my whole adult life. It does not happen as often these days as it did when I was a kid but sometimes you get miller's moths and freezing stops them.

My wife has started to use a paste in a tube. It is double concentrated so a little goes a long way. Plus, no waste. Since there are only two of us, that works.

My youngest son and his family are five. So I sent your suggestion over to him. He has complained about waste so this would be right up his alley.

Things like that I will sometimes put into silicone ice cube trays and freeze. Pop them out later and store in a freezer bag. Good for soups, stews, chili, etc.

My bride and I also now use the tube paste no waste and is usually enough for recipes. We also have a tube of anchovy paste in the fridge at all times as well.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My bride and I also now use the tube paste no waste and is usually enough for recipes. We also have a tube of anchovy paste in the fridge at all times as well.
Likewise, even though I think actual anchovy filets are better. In a puttanesca it is hard to tell.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I was just making some Marana Sauce and had to open another can of tomato paste. I'm a nut, shush nobody else knows, so I buy some things in large sizes. Some went into my sauce and the rest . . . will be frozen and bagged / vacuum sealed for use later.

This is what I do.

View attachment 1278377

Each is about 2 tbsp. and there are about 3 dozen.

Yellow bag is flour. I've been storing flour in the freezer my whole adult life. It does not happen as often these days as it did when I was a kid but sometimes you get miller's moths and freezing stops them.
I think that’s a great idea. But I too buy my tomato paste in a tube. It last forever in the refrigerator. I also buy anchovies in the tube, great for Caesar salad’s.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Tubes are handy for a single meal. I tend to make big batches of stuff and freeze it in meal size containers. Nice Dexter Riley avatar by the way.

Top Bottom