What's new

Restaurant Prices

Alcohol markup is actually the only thing restaurants really make any money on. We recently went to a pizza place in town that doesn't serve alcohol. I actually didn't know before going, or else we would not have gone! I was telling my mother in law about it because she is in the restaurant biz. Her reply was "wow, how they make money?"

My uncle received a commercial draft beer dispenser in payment for a job. Set it up at home and had it serviced by a local beer distributor. Using the cost of the beer, CO2, delivery and electricity to power the refrigerator, we figured the approximate cost for a 16oz mug was less than 10 cents per 16 oz mug. Bars and restaurants in my neighborhood get anywhere from $2 to $5 a mug for draft beer.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
My uncle received a commercial draft beer dispenser in payment for a job. Set it up at home and had it serviced by a local beer distributor. Using the cost of the beer, CO2, delivery and electricity to power the refrigerator, we figured the approximate cost for a 16oz mug was less than 10 cents per 16 oz mug. Bars and restaurants in my neighborhood get anywhere from $2 to $5 a mug for draft beer.

Of course, you need to account for licensing and insurance, neither of which are cheap.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm sure you are correct. I will still challenge anyone to name 3 products of any kind that will command a 5000% mark up. Just sayin.

The closest thing to that kind of markup would be a Tylenol given to you while in the hospital.

I found another site that says the markup of domestic beer is more in the 650% range. Wine around 400%, and mixed drinks about 1,150%.

Granted it is a crazy markup, however we still buy it and accept the price. Thats why I'd rather stay at home and watch the game than sit at a bar and watch. Drink $5 beer, or my homebrew that averages about 3-10 cents a bottle.

Other items with incredible markups:

• Popcorn in a movie theater - 1,275%
  • Starbucks coffee - over 300%
  • Movie in hotel room - 200%
  • Bottled water - 4,000%
  • Hotel mini bar - 400%
  • Greeting cards - 200%

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ive read and heard this may times, and every time I think about the times I've paid $4.95 for a side house salad with a bit of iceberg lettuce, a cherry tomato and a squirt of dressing. If there were really less than 3% margins I can't imagine why anyone would bother opening one...

The biggest scam ever- the wedge salad. One head of lettuce, plus dressing and a few bacon bits, creates six of them.

I found another site that says the markup of domestic beer is more in the 650% range. Wine around 400%, and mixed drinks about 1,150%.

That's true for bottled/canned premium beers. The markup for draft beer is much more than that. You also have to factor where in the country you are. You won't get robbed quite as badly when you leave the NY/NJ area.

• Bottled water - 4,000%
  • Hotel mini bar - 400%
  • Greeting cards - 200%

I read that inkjet printer ink was among the most expensive liquids on earth. Somewhere around $4000 per gallon. I don't know what the markup is, but I have to believe it's ridiculous. It's consistently ranked in the top 10 most expensive liquids in the world.

• Bottled water - 4,000%
  • Hotel mini bar - 400%
  • Greeting cards - 200%
Correct on the popcorn, and that's nothing new. Even when they were charging a nickel a bag it was still a huge markup. Popcorn is one of the most profitable items on earth. In my short stint in the movie exhibition biz, the line when building a new theater was "this looks like a good place to sell popcorn."

Correct on the popcorn, and that's nothing new. Even when they were charging a nickel a bag it was still a huge markup. Popcorn is one of the most profitable items on earth. In my short stint in the movie exhibition biz, the line when building a new theater was "this looks like a good place to sell popcorn."

:w00t: The price of candy is crazy, too.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I read that inkjet printer ink was among the most expensive liquids on earth. Somewhere around $4000 per gallon. I don't know what the markup is, but I have to believe it's ridiculous. It's consistently ranked in the top 10 most expensive liquids in the world.

Off topic but Anti-venom is an expensive liquid:

....The quantity of venom even season professionals can milk is very small, though, so snakes have to be milked many, many times to produce a useful amount. For instance, it took a total of three years and 69,000 milkings to get one single pint of coral snake venom.

Expensive Blood that was donated:

Bill Haast, a famous snake handler who died at age 100 was known for milking up to 100 snakes a day. At this rate, you can imagine he would get bitten often. Realizing this, he first started in 1948 injecting himself with increasing doses of diluted cobra venom in order to develop his own immune resistance. By the time he died – of natural causes we need to add – Haast had survived 172 bites from many of the world’s deadliest snakes, including a blue krait, a king cobra and a Pakistani pit viper. Actually, he even flew around the world and donated his blood for direct transfusion, thus saving 21 victims.

by TIBI PUIU

We do not return to those restaurants that have dramatically increased prices and so far the places we eat at most often are very reasonable. I do realize the increases in minimum wage and other Government "improvements have increased operating costs but my budget is more important to me than theirs. At home we have "revisited" the food we ate back in the '50's like American Chop Suey, Tuna Casserole, pasta and homemade sauce, Fried Chicken and the like. We also try to buy in bulk from the local warehouse store. We cut down the large portions and vacuum freeze smaller cuts of meats so we could get pulled pork, roast pork and homemade sausage out of a large pork shoulder for example; bulk cost is significantly lower than butchered cuts.

I haven't seen the price in stores drop yet but they sure jacked the heck outta meat and produce when gas went up.

Not sure I would eat gas. We eat home more and more, as we can source our own local produce and meats.

Most importantly, these days our cellar is much more to our taste than most any local restaurant! :thumbup1:

Tried a new Mexican joint...

Ordered 2-2 cheese enchilada dinners with rice and beans, and 2 margaritas... $37 and change before tip! Not going back!

You could buy all the ingredients at retail and have a greater than 3% margin

Tried a new Mexican joint...

Ordered 2-2 cheese enchilada dinners with rice and beans, and 2 margaritas... $37 and change before tip! Not going back!

You could buy all the ingredients at retail and have a greater than 3% margin

Around here, that would be pretty typical for a sit-down mexican restaurant.