What's new

Response from Unilever - Noxzema Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Cream

As danielrhall mentioned several days ago, Noxzema has indeed changed the formula in their classing cleansing cream. I know a lot of us love to use Noxzema as a pre-shave, but now, just like they did with their canned shaving cream years ago, they have removed the camphor, phenol and menthol from the Noxzema cream. Here's the response I just received from Unilever:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Noxzema Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Cream.
In order to stay competitive in today’s market we responded to consumer’s requests to improve our product. In addition, the new formula was subject to extensive consumer testing before reaching the retail market place. We were encouraged by the very positive response received from consumers regarding the new formula.

We are sorry to learn that you have not been satisfied with our new formula, however, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We will certainly advise our Product Development Department of your comments.

Should you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Sincerely,

Noxzema Consumer Services

How long ago did this change take place?

Same question. I originally enjoyed using it as a pre-shave, but later realized it was contributing to some dry skin and excessive breakouts. I had similar experience with Proraso white, so I was suspecting the menthol or the camphor, the two main ingredients they have in common.

I've recommended this before, Dollar Tree has a very good Green Tea Cleanser. For the cost of one month of Noxzema, you can get probably well over a year supply of this. Sometimes you can find gold in them buck shops.

I've recommended this before, Dollar Tree has a very good Green Tea Cleanser. For the cost of one month of Noxzema, you can get probably well over a year supply of this. Sometimes you can find gold in them buck shops.

with menthol and camphor?
or completely différent from the classic Noxema?

tam

How long ago did this change take place?

+1 I personally don't like menthol in a preshave. The tub I have now has menthol, but if it provides all the benefits without the menthol cool, that would be a winner in my book.

P.S. I did not participate in the study. Lol!!!

Actually a completely different product. They do have a version of Noxzema which works good, but smells rather odd. But this Green tea stuff is a very nice cleanser, which helps along the shave a bit if you don't rinse it all off. Seems to have helped slightly with my slight redness I get immediately after a shave. I'll go take a pic real quick and put it up.

$20150630_183442.jpg
$20150630_183503.jpg

It had to be fairly recently, as I just discovered this in the last week or so. In this particular store, the large tubs are the new recipe, but all of their 2 oz. travel tubs still have the camphor, phenol and menthol. Even apart from shaving, it just bothers me when companies change iconic products with no notice. I mean, Noxzema cream is 100 years old. Did Unilever just go with cheaper ingredients? Because they're sure charging the same price as before.

Poor Noxzema's been kicked around a lot in the last several years. There is this article that mentions that part of its decline was due to Proctor and Gamble just not giving Noxzema the marketing love it needed and had enjoyed for so many years. Then Alberto Culver acquired the brand in 2008 but P&G were to continue manufacturing Noxzema in the transition. This didn't help: AC sued P&G claiming they produced defective product. Then Unilever acquired AC in 2010.

I do wonder if the drastic change in the product of late is for reasons of higher profit, new owners with new ideas, or maybe to continue sales in some countries where perhaps some of the ingredients are controlled or are or will be banned. Who knows? But the product is no longer the reasonably pure and simple and quite unique cleansing cream that it once was, that's for sure.

I have just updated my list of Noxzema generic versions with a few more I've found available.

My favorite line:

-We responded to consumer’s requests to improve our product.-

Consumers beating down the door to change a product that has worked well for generations, and has been shamelessly copied by countless other manufacturers.
I am partial to Noxzema because my father shaved with the brushless shaving cream for 40 years. Old school. Never changed. It never occurred to him to try anything new. His cologne? Eau de Noxzema

Shame that they decided to change it.

My favorite line:

-We responded to consumer’s requests to improve our product.-

Consumers beating down the door to change a product that has worked well for generations, and has been shamelessly copied by countless other manufacturers.
I am partial to Noxzema because my father shaved with the brushless shaving cream for 40 years. Old school. Never changed. It never occurred to him to try anything new. His cologne? Eau de Noxzema

Shame that they decided to change it.

The operation was performed by a SPIN doctor....

The operation was a success but the patient died.

I checked my tub I bought a month ago and it has camphor and all those ingredients... Guess I got lucky!!
The tub is huge too!!! It'll last me forever. But just in case I'm gonna run back to Walgreen's and buy another one.

I checked my tub I bought a month ago and it has camphor and all those ingredients... Guess I got lucky!!
The tub is huge too!!! It'll last me forever. But just in case I'm gonna run back to Walgreen's and buy another one.

I checked the tub I bought a month ago, the first tub I bought for shaving purposes, and mine is the reformulation. A shame I didn't get to try the original, but at least I didn't come to like it only to have it changed on me...

A classic case study in marketing classes was the reformulation of Schlitz Beer. Consumer reaction was so bad that Schlitz didn't survive. At the time it was bigger than Budweiser.

It sounds like Noxzema is in a downward spiral.

Top Bottom