What's new

RESOLVED ***type advertisement on B&B

The ones I get are on top of the page

Screenshot_20210401-213553_Chrome.jpg

I just had number 4 pop up since 6:00. That’s better than 1 an hour. I’m done for a while. I’ll be back in a week or two and if it’s still happening I’m gone for good. I’m not going to customize my iPad just because b&b has a problem.

Seems like there are several options here:

1) become a contributor
2) install an ad blocker on your browser (it installs in the background and prevents ads across most sites and you never hardly know it's there)
3) pack up your bags and leave

We love having everyone around here but it does take money to host and maintain the site - based on the traffic here (while good it's not YouTube level) I would be shocked if anyone is sitting in a mansion watching their millions roll in - any advertising likely goes into site maintenance.

I don't recall having ads even before I was a contributor but I know it's a very minimal contribution to support the site - I did it simply to show my appreciation of the community and information available here.

YMMV as they say.

Advertising on the side or top and bottom of page is one thing but, stopping your ability to view different areas of a website seems very intrusive.
I would think this could be stopped if wanted. If it continues and gets worse I could see people leaving because of it.
It really takes away from the forum.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am not a contributor and have always received the normal ads at the top or bottom of the page. The new ads which occupy the entire screen as shown by the OP seem to be new as I have only been having them for about a week. I get them only on my Windows 10 PC and only when using the back button or choosing the previous page on a thread. I have never had this ad type on my Android mobile and am signed in on both. I agree that this ad type is enough to dissuade me from using the forum so let's hope it is just a temporary glitch.

I may have found the solution. I installed the DuckDuckGo browser and now I’m getting no Ads at all. None on top or bottom. I have also not seen the full page ad that covers the whole website, but I just logged in, so that jury is still out.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As a result of the new style advertising I have now installed an Ad Blocker so I am no longer seeing any advertisements at all. This includes the ads that I used to see and accept as a price for using the forum.

I may have found the solution. I installed the DuckDuckGo browser and now I’m getting no Ads at all. None on top or bottom. I have also not seen the full page ad that covers the whole website, but I just logged in, so that jury is still out.

I was just going to suggest that Browser.
It is a lot better than Chrome, especially because I don't have to write off my personal data rights just to use a browser.

DuckDuckGo is a good browser for Android as well.

It's been ages since I last used Chrome, and thankfully I'm not reminded after every few hours about the things to purchase that I may or not have searched for.

Thanks for this. I just installed this, and so far it is great. Instantly I feel I have opted out of being part of Google’s product portfolio.

I’ve been using DuckDuckGo’s browser all day and I haven’t seen so much as a hint of an ad. I clicked on a Google link earlier and DuckDuckGo threw up a message that said it couldn’t “protect me” from ads if I went to a Google page. I thought about it a second and decided to go somewhere else.

Top Bottom