What's new

Residual stubble frustrating

I find often that even after proper prep (shower, face wash, pre-shave oil, face lathering, shave with DE loaded with new blade, WTG followed by XTG and some scruffing on the jawline, then cold water rinse, alum block, AS splash and moisturizer), I still have what looks like upon close inspection small bits of lint on the jawline.

Closer inspection shows these to be small raised points of either hair or skin. My wife says its not noticeable to her, but it drives me nuts. I wonder if any of you have noticed the same thing from time to time?

I may shave with my mothballed Gilette Fusion to see if its a razor thing, or something I'm just noticing now, possibly age related? Yikes.

Chris

I have the same. When I look in the mirror from a distance my mug looks shaved although I can sometimes spot a very faint shadow - but when I stick my face real close to a mirror I can see the 'small bits' you refer to. But when I rub the skin ATG on these spots I feel nothing. So I've just stopped worrying about it.

In my Mach3/Fusion days, I think I used to grind the razor right into my skin to get a super smooth shave minus these 'small bits'. But it used to leave my skin really sore, prone to ingrown hairs, and requiring at least a day's break before it could be shaved again. Against all that, the small bits are an acceptable tradeoff to me.

Yeah, I have noticed similar more so as I got older and also when I was heavier. I noticed I had to do usually 2 extra passes to prevent it and stretch the skin more of course with 2 more passes and skin stretching you have to be careful not to get razor burn, losing weight seemed to help it quite a bit, at this point whether that's a coincidence or not I can't say for sure as I got a lot more weight to lose but the results so far have been promising.

It happens sometimes and can be annoying after so much care put into the shave. But there'll very soon be a shadow anyway so I rarely aim for an über-BBS.

Try a sharper blade or an SE....When I use Feathers (or sometime my SE) I find less of that stuff remaining....

I guess I am more of an experimenter, because I still use other blades...

I like a hot towel before lathering and between passes, then a cold rinse or cooling AS. After the skin cools completely I dont feel the fine stubbles any more maybe the heat allows the hair to be cut even closer and then retract below the surface. Beats me but it works for me.

If you are getting a smooth, irritation free shave then count yourself fortunate. There is no need to be perfect every time as it will just frustrate you. It also maybe a limitation of your technique or even aged related as you have suggested. Regardless, living with it may may be hard to do as people are their own worst critic but acceptance will go a long way. For what it's worth, I get these sames spots at times and it does appear to be aged related.

Last edited:
I know what you mean - they don't look like hair, but tiny strands of skin. I get more when I have a particularly rough shave and have used too much pressure. So my advice would be ease up and don't go for ultra BBS.

Top Bottom