What's new

RESIDUAL SLICKNESS: Top 10 soaps of all time?

As some folks have been asking what's the point of residual slickness, here it is:

BTW, this guy is one of the rare YT shavers I follow, as he's unbiased and fun to watch.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I've been trying artisan makers and all have been phenomenal, but I may have to give the nod to Wholly Kaw; King of Oud, in this instance. I was amazed how slick everything still was with seemingly no lather. The razor glided over just as smoothly. Very impressive. Barrister and Mann Excelsior is slick stuff too.

Its a very slick and protective feeling soap. I am unfortunate in that KoO burns my skin, however. :(

I should say my experience is rather limited, as I've only used about a dozen soaps or creams since I switched to wet-shaving some 2 years ago.

That said - maybe I was just lucky - the only soap that makes it possible for me to do repetitive strokes over the same spot without having to re-lather is Saponificio Varesino (SV) Opuntia 4.3.

This soap is totally different to anything else I ever used (Proraso, Tabac, Nivea, TOBS, DRH), as the skin remains well lubricated, even after several strokes and rinses. It has this unique lubricating quality I have never experienced with other soaps and creams.

So... is there anything else out there that matches or beats the SV in terms of RESIDUAL SLICKNESS alone?
I don't have any answer to your question. I just wanted to know if you are from the UK. I suspect you are, based solely on your use of this verbiage: "This soap is totally different to anything else I ever used...."

In the United States, we say something is totally different from something else. We would never say "different to." Interesting how many little differences there are.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :lol:

As some folks have been asking what's the point of residual slickness, here it is:

BTW, this guy is one of the rare YT shavers I follow, as he's unbiased and fun to watch.
I don't think that the video answers the question, "What's the point of residual slickness?". It demonstrates that even an inexpensive soap like Stirling can allow you to shave with just the residual slickness, but surely had he not removed the lather the shave would have been at least as good, if not better.

Its a very slick and protective feeling soap. I am unfortunate in that KoO burns my skin, however. :(

That's a bummer, I'm lucky that my skin is OK with it. I have a sample from Maggard I've used four or five times so far and as much to go, the quality of lather at little expense is great, and the resulting shave is still among the best I've had. Siero base? I say hell yea. Awesome stuff, the experience you just wanna have over and over.

Have someone tryed out david somersets shaving gels? Just tookd an look on their ingredient list, and those are based on water/glycerine. I quess that CAN (i have never tryed it) have good slickness on based glycerine...

Cella or Vito's red in kilo bricks give me fantastic residual slick, Have a habit of wet finger tips while I shave though. Then again I have no complaints with Arko (bowl pressed) or VDH

Eben Stone

Staff member
Hey @DaveHStone now that you've had some time to enjoy the Kaizen, do you still like it equally to the Opuntia?

Yesterday's shave with TBS maca root had me reconsidering everything. It might be the slickest soap I've ever used (both slickness and residual slickness). Need to do a 3 way comparison with Opuntia 4.3, Southern Witchcrafts, and TBS maca root to be sure. Too bad I only have 2 usable lather bowls ATM.

Hey @DaveHStone now that you've had some time to enjoy the Kaizen, do you still like it equally to the Opuntia?

Yesterday's shave with TBS maca root had me reconsidering everything. It might be the slickest soap I've ever used (both slickness and residual slickness). Need to do a 3 way comparison with Opuntia 4.3, Southern Witchcrafts, and TBS maca root to be sure. Too bad I only have 2 usable lather bowls ATM.
If Maca Root's density was better then it would have surpassed Kaizen.

I have a tub of Kaizen on the way. I’m told it is slicker than the Mitchell’s Wool Fat I’m so fond of. If so, I may have to change my soap of choice.
FWIW, I honestly believe that A&E Kaizen-base is the best soap ever made.

That said, their scents are not to everyone's liking. I for one was not impressed with Kaizen scent, but performance is out of this world.

Pls note that their current base is called Kaizen, but there is also a specific soap called Kaizen, too.

FWIW, I honestly believe that A&E Kaizen-base is the best soap ever made.

That said, their scents are not to everyone's liking. I for one was not impressed with Kaizen scent, but performance is out of this world.

Pls note that their current base is called Kaizen, but there is also a specific soap called Kaizen, too.
I like the smell of Mitchell’s, so I’m sure I’ll like this. The one I have coming is the scantily clad lady on the house. I hope that’s the right one.

I have a tub of Kaizen on the way. I’m told it is slicker than the Mitchell’s Wool Fat I’m so fond of. If so, I may have to change my soap of choice.
It is. Just be aware that you must not stop when you think the lather is ready. Give it even more water. It never gets runny.. Unbelievable density and lather quality. I used it today with the Yaqi Slant, only with the residual slickness I did a fourth pass under the neck with no dragging. That was incredible.

Siero is close, but Kaizen is cheaper and even better overall.

Top Bottom